Thread: PS3 sound static issues.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 sound static issues.

Since I started playing Stranglehold (collector's edition, if it matters), I've been getting this strange static noise. I think loud noises trigger it, but I'm not entirely sure. I think it's also possible to play until it goes away, but I have only cared to grin and bear it to see that happen once.

I'm using Mad Catz/Gamestop component cables on my TV's stock speakers. First mistake? Maybe, but the cables haven't been giving me problems with other games. I played through Time Crisis 4 last night. That game has an equal amount of loud gunfire and stuff blowing up, and I didn't get any static with that game. I also tried swapping cables while the system was still on and giving me static issues. Even after I swap to the stock composite cables, the static stays. So, it seems like it's the PS3's fault.

I have found one person on another forum who thinks this may be a firmware issue. Battlefield Bad Company gives him the same problems after he installed the latest firmware. I have experienced no audio static in the past, and neither has he. I have also researched old forum posts on google, and I found a significant amount of people who had a similar problem. Some of them chalked it up to the ground loop issue (which I have already taken care of), and others consider it bad audio encoding. The audio is taken to the distorted range at the source, and that's why it's breaking up.

I'm using a 60gig console, and its warranty is going to run out very soon, so if anybody has any input, please don't hesitate to post! I'm going to take my PS3 to a different TV on Thursday and use the stock composite cables and see what happens when I play Stranglehold. At least that way I'll be able to rule out the PS3.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the exact same problem with "Condemned 2" actually. I switched the cables and it kicks in when the background music reaches a high pitch. To where I hear crackling and distortion.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally got the PS3 to a different TV.

I think it's the poorly programmed game doing something to the PS3 that in turn affects my iffy speakers which have the one in a million chance of being connected to the PS3 that affects them in this way in a way that you need to shut down the PS3 to make the effect go away. I heard some strange pops with the other TV's speakers, but I didn't get any static or anything. I also tried Time Crisis 4 on the problematic TV. That game has similar amounts of stuff blowing up, and I didn't get the slightest semblance of static. I think it's Stranglehold and my speakers that are at fault. Give Stranglehold a different set of speakers, and everything's peachy.

I won't go into why I think my speakers are iffy. It's black magic, and I don't understand it myself.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update: I believe it's Stranglehold's fault. I played it some more earlier, and at one point the sound just straight up cut out. Died. Silence. I then entered the in game XMB to quit the game. While the game was quitting, the system beeped a few times and then reset itself. It didn't go back to the dashboard like normal. It reset itself. It did something to the system that the system didn't like.

What a headache. I'm going to get rid of that sonbitch this weekend, pick up Resistance on the cheap, and make sure that game with its big explosions and gunfire and stuff doesn't cause the same problems. Time Crisis 4 didn't, MGS4 a couple of months ago didn't, and I doubt Resistance will.