Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you worried about the longevity of your newer consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are you worried about the longevity of your newer consoles?

I know that my systems like the NES and Genesis are going to work until the day I die, because they've been around for god knows how long already, but when I look at the future of my PS2, Xbox 360 and Wii, I don't know if they have the potential to last that long. This leaves me to worry that I'm going to have to deal with them breaking once they aren't being made anymore. I know the PS2 has the DRE problem, and the Xbox 360 has the red rings of death problem, neither of which I would be fully equipped to handle. And I'm damn sure not buying a slim PS2. Does this worry anyone else?

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I've had my PS2 slim for a few years and it's still working perfectly fine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really. By the time mine end up dying I expect the systems to be in the $30 range. I mean I've come across plenty of broken NES, SNES, and Genesis systems too, but it's never a big deal because they're so cheap to replace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This has always been a concern of mine, so I planned accordingly. I bought extra consoles when they were affordable (IMO) to do so. Besides my original units (that all still work thankfully), I have an extra Genesis, Dreamcast, Gamecube (w/component jacks), PS1, and PS2 waiting to take over if my original units ever die. These were all bought brand new and have never been used.

This is also in addition to my extra 360 that patiently waits for the inevitable RRoD from my original unit. I've had the RRoD the past two Augusts...so I'm about due.

It all depends on how much money your willing to spend (or waste depending on your perspective). I've spent, who knows, 30-40 grand on software over the last 26 years. I'll be damned if I can't play a particular game because of hardware issues.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

I already have sent my 360 in for repair once, but I can tell now that my gamecube can last the next 100 years.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

the only system I'm worried about not lasting is my 360. They are terribly made pieces of hardware. Other than that, I don't see my wii or ps3 shitting the bed anytime in the near future. I know I will not be collecting for 360 because of the system failures.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

The more moveable parts a system has, the greater likelyhood it has of failing. It's just the nature of electronics.

I was incredibly worried about the lifespan of my newer systems and I have purchased backups for most all of them (PS2, Cube, Xbox, DS, GBA sp, 360) over time. I've only lost 2 so far, a launch XBox (drive was dying), which was replaced with a new system and a 360 that had its drive die on me and that was replaced under warranty so I didn't have to open my backup system.

PSTwos are pretty stable now-a-days. The early ones were a little prone to nuking themselves, but I don't hear about those problems now, so I don't know why you'd be worried about getting one.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by modest9797 View Post
    I already have sent my 360 in for repair once, but I can tell now that my gamecube can last the next 100 years.
    Let's not get started on how reliable gamecubes are. Holy, Mine fell off a shelf 6 foot above a concrete floor and bounced twice.

We kept right on going with playing smash bros. No damage.

That leads me to believe that my Wii will last me a long time. Although, I'm not willing to test that to the extreme.

I also see my phatstation 2 lasting me a extremely long time due to the fact that I've played it a grand total of 23 hours during the four years I've owned it. Also so far I had a roommate also break it and it (after minor fiddling) still works like the day I bought it. I figure it'll last me awhile

As for my Xbox (not 360)? I have two and I don't give a shit about them.

I might get a 360 later, and I have a friend who repairs them.

Summary: Not too worried.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got six Dreamcasts, and all work just fine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I will admit that I've thought about this, but not too deeply.

Part of my quest to study electronics is to maintain and repair consoles that will eventually go bad.

The PS2 does have a DRE problem which I've seen going to my local console repair shop (hundreds of DRE PS2's on the wall), but from what I've seen, this is easily replaceable or at least can be repaired with relative ease. I've repaired at least 5 PS2 Phats and one slim in less than 15 minutes (it's usually or a good cleaning or the potentiometer needs tweaking).

But ultimately, I am a tad afraid of what the future can bring. That is why I embrade backward compatibility.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the more consoles are like computers, the more problems they will have. I really want a 360, but I don't feel like fucking with sending it in when it breaks. I may get one later down the road. As far as the old solid state consoles like the NES, Genesis, ETC... most from that era are built like tanks. If I see a SNES or Genesis loose anywhere it's almost guaranteed to work, even if it looks like shit. I'll second the GC for lasting 100 years, as I hear little to none about hardware failures. I have a 2nd hand 1st gen PS2, and although I don't play it a lot, it always works fine.

I forsee a future where game consoles are solid state again, and operate on little to no power- much like the old consoles. Flash memory is coming down in price, so in the future we won't have traditional hard drives. I also think, that while we may never go back to cartridges, I think computers in the future will have a read and write media that doesn't have to spin or be read by moving lasers. I see this happening in the next 10 or 20 years.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Yeah, the more consoles are like computers, the more problems they will have.
    The upside to that is that computers are getting easier to fix as time go on, so consoles based on simpler modern PC hardware will also be easier to fix than say, 486-era PCs are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I see it, if my newer systems decide to go the way of Jim Fixx I don't think I'd buy another one. I've had a 360 RROD and I don't play it much often after having it replaced. The overall selection of games available is very poor compared to the previous gen's library. Both my cabs, the Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox get more play than anything. On the road, I do use my handhelds.

So I'm not worried about the longevity of the newer systems. They're build like crap and the companies know it. I've heard coutless of stories ranging from porridge/oatmeal spills to 5+ ft dropped NES systems that keep on running. With these newer systems, it seems like if the room temperature rises a few degrees higher and the system will fry iteself.

It's like that hidden room in Portal. Anyone catch the Xbox 360 like system heating up a pot of coffee with it's own GPU?

Check it out when you get a chance. While you're there check the walls.

"You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Im not too worried about my PS2 because they dont cost much to replace. I had my current one for almost 4 years now.

As for the current systems. I didnt bother to buy one just yet. If they died on me, I would feel bad spending all that money on something that didnt last.

Not too worried about my PS1. It's 11 years old and still kicking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My PS1 has to be turned on its side or upside down to read a disc... That's kind of why I started worrying.

And as far as the slim PS2's I've heard they don't have an internal fan, right? Don't they get way hot?

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitCaged's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't care if my ps3 dies in 20 years because you know the ps432 will still support my ps1 collection. My DS on the other hand, if Nintendo dose not support two screens mic etc... if it breaks and Nintendo next hand held dose not support DS carts and I cant find a DS well my games are useless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

No. I worry about finding a real job. Game systems? Aside from the Wii and DS, I'm sitting this generation out. I'd say I cant wait till the next generation but I'm in no hurry to spend money I dont have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mostly my PS2 and JPS2. I have 2 dreamcasts and hardly play my Xbox and Gamecube. My PS2 sees heavy use, and it's the Gran Turismo 3 package tray-loader, but it still works great. My JPS2 on the other hand, has hardly seen ANY use in the last 3 years and only reads a disc about 25% of the time (its a white slimline). So yeah, I will probably pick up an extra of each. I'm sure my PS2's will eventually see closet-storage time as much as any other consoles have. So as long as they don't just break down from non-use, it's all good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It concerns me a little bit I suppose, its much of the reason why I have a SuperNes and a GameCube among others sitting in their boxes brand new waiting for the day I hope never comes when they're needed.

But some consoles don't get very economical anymore. I'd love to have a brand new Xbox for example sitting here in reserve, but they never got any cheaper than $150.

I'll probably get a spare PS2 someday, I'm sure that one will hit the magic price of $100 and be cheap enough for me to consider it. Especially since I've yet to buy a PS3, and by the time I do hopefully fairly soon, I'm sure I'll have to settle for a new 80gig system with no PS2 compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitCaged View Post
    I don't care if my ps3 dies in 20 years because you know the ps432 will still support my ps1 collection.
    Bet the PS3 is the final PSOne compatible system, and I don't see PS2 compatibility being reintroduced anytime soon unless Sony decides a version of MS's Xbox Original's is a good way to earn a lot of money.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-31-2008 at 02:47 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr.soul View Post
    My PS1 has to be turned on its side or upside down to read a disc... That's kind of why I started worrying.
    You know, there's a fix for that!

You just have to open the ps1 and re-calibrate the optical thingy (it's as simple as turning a screw)

As for me, I was actually giving this topic a lot of thought the other day. I was thinking to myself, "There's no WAY I can buy a PS3 and play it 20 years from now." Now, I don't know if it's true, but it's still a sad thing to have to contemplate =(

In my experience, PS2s are kind to non-smokers, and most of the ones that broke have done so already...All the ps2s I know of that lasted longer than a couple of years are still running great. Even my piece of shit one that I bought for $20 is still running fairly well (when I cleaned the inside, there was a thick layer of drywall-ish dust!). Only problem I ever get with it is, sometimes it will skip during a music cd.