Thread: So many Final Fantasy remakes, What ones should I buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default So many Final Fantasy remakes, What ones should I buy?

I am trying to figure out what Final Fantasy games I should pick up. I have to say I am a little overwhelmed by the choices. You got the originals, then there's the ps1 origins, anthology, and chronicles remakes. The you got dawn of souls, then final fantasy 4,5, and 6 for gba. Not to mention the 1 and 2 remakes for psp. I just don't know what to get. I already own most of the originals, but have been eyeing the gba and psp remakes.

I didn't care much for origins. They removed some of the good spells like "rub". Whitch I felt was one of the coolest, and best spells. I am just looking for the best all around ports. Mainly just updated graphics, and sound. But not new soundtracks, unless it's a better soundtrack of course. I already own the ds remakes of 3 and 4, and I really don't count them. They seem like totally different games, and are must have games.

I would really like to own 1 copy of each remake that is considered the best. Especially final fantasy 4. Since the snes (2), is the easy type, There has to be a better option. So what do you all think? What ports have you enjoyed the most? Or disliked the most, and why? What do you feel is the difinitive MUST own version of each final fantasy 1-6 games?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

You know, it's not really a remake, but I just bought Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII for the PSP the other day and it's pretty cool. Better than what I expected, with a new fighting system. It offers all the depth of the traditional fighting system, but it's designed to be menu-free, and moves much quicker. As such, levelling-up and advancing through areas happens much faster. A lot more seems to happen in less time. Anyway, that probably wasn't the response you're looking for, but I'm just sayin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy IV on the GBA totally gave me the ass. It has really serious slowdown problems (really serious) and all of the added crap is worthless. The V and VI on the GBa are both pretty good, though. I&II is okay. I haven't played the PSP remakes.
    Feedback thread here

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other than Final Fantasy Origins, the Playstation versions are superior. Chronicles includes the harder version of FFIV and Chrono Trigger, and Anthology has a perfect FFV and FFVI, all with new CG added and CD-quality sound.

As for Final Fantasy 3, your only option is the DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF III for the DS was a real winner. They also released a new FF IV version for the DS.

FF IV DS trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119Ay49BsGg
    Last edited by Raedon; 08-03-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I have all the FF remakes. It must be some form of mental illness, because let me tell you...I have absolutely zero plans to play through FFIV again, yet I bought the recent DS remake. I already have it on SNES, PS1, and GBA. Same thing goes for all the FF re-releases. I've bought every single one.

That being said, the best remake so far is the original Final Fantasy for PSP.

The graphics and music got a big re-haul (way bigger than the PS1 and GBA versions). Not to mention it's the most basic and pure form of turn-based RPG battling for any system. It's $19.99 pretty much everywhere. The PSP remake of FFII looks nice too. It's just too bad the gameplay fundamentally sucks...pretty presentation or not.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 08-03-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I have all the FF remakes. It must be some form of mental illness, because let me tell you...I have absolutely zero plans to play through FFIV again, yet I bought the recent DS remake. I already have it on SNES, PS1, and GBA. Same thing goes for all the FF re-releases. I've bought every single one.

The graphics and music got a big re-haul (way bigger than the PS1 and GBA versions). Not to mention it's the most basic and pure form of turn-based RPG battling for any system. It's $19.99 pretty much everywhere. The PSP remake of FFII looks nice too. It's just too bad the gameplay fundamentally sucks...pretty presentation or not.
    Yeah,it looks pretty good. I am going to have to pick that one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

FFIV for the ds is pretty sweet but its quite abit more difficult than the other versions.
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

Now that's damn pretty.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF6 for the GBA had a totally new translation [well, so did the others on the GBA, but still]. Among other things.

If you like that sort of thing, and perhaps have played the older version on the SNES, I still recommend it highly.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."