Thread: Detroit Area (Troy, MI) Collector/Game/Vintage shops?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Default Detroit Area (Troy, MI) Collector/Game/Vintage shops?

The family and I are taking a VERY last minute road trip from Dallas to Detroit on Saturday and I have already discussed having a "guys day" where I get to hit some retro and vintage shops, hopefully including some nice Game shops.

So, Detroit area DPers, where should I go? Flea markets, shows, retrogame shops? Thanks for your help in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

There's a few I know of. There's the Flipside on 14 mile in Clawson, they deal largely in media of all kinds and ages. Good place if you're looking around for records...decent selection of games. They're also conveniently located next to a Japanese market and are across the street from a comic book shop.

There's also Taylortown, an indoor flea market in Taylor off of Ecorse road near Telegraph (it's also quite close to the I-94 telegraph exit...just go south). There's a few booths that sell games there, and generally they have a good selection. There's also an arcade machine dealer, but his prices are steepish. Keep in mind that they're closed Monday and Tuesday, and that most of the vendors don't show up unless its the weekend.

While you're in the area, I very much suggest checking out Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum. It's an arcade that features a lot of REALLY old stuff, circus memorabilia, and other bizarre objects. It's up in Farmington Hills.

http://www.marvin3m.com/

If you feel like going out to Ann Arbor, I would definitely suggest going to Pinball Pete's. It's a pretty large arcade, lots of arcade machines, air hockey tables, racers, pinball machines, and Japanese oddities. When I was there last weekend, they had just done maintenance, so most of the machines are in working order. That can be found on University street...if you take I-94 there, you'd be getting off on Exit 177, and taking State street towards the U of M campus, followed by a right on University.

I also recommend checking out Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger if you go to Ann Arbor. They have some of the best burgers I've ever eaten. There's also a smaller hobby type shop called Get Your Game On off of Packard and State in Ann Arbor. They sell video games (including older stuff), board games, tabletop game stuff. Not a large game selection, but I've found some good stuff.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be quit honest it is slim pickens around Detroit for decent game stores. There are the places the above poster mentioned but you are not going to find anything rare or in my opinion, interesting at those places. Typical junk you would find in any other game store.

There are 2 places i visit frequently north of Detroit. One is Dixie Land Flea Market in Pontiac on Dixie Highway and Telegraph and the other is Game Quest in Chesterfield township at Gratiot and 25 Mile Road. This place you have the chance you might find something unique or interesting.

Marvelous Marvins Mechanical Museum is a good call. Nice place to check out some old school games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been to the two store mentioned in the post above. I agree they are average. But they are better than nothing, and you might find something to fit into your collection.

GO WINGS!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

I agree with the post about flipside, you can find things like Jaguar, Saturn, 2600, etc. Things you don't necessarily see every day. There is a really cool store or 2 in the Gibralter Trade Center in Mt. Clemens. If you only can make one stop, thats where you need to go. They have a lot of cool stuff like records there too.

I miss the old days when there was a store called Play Source or something like that on Garfield in Clinton Township and they actively stocked imports (PS1, Saturn) as they were released. Actually there was one on John R too, yeah those were the good old days.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sword_Of_Vermilion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I haven't found anyplace since The Gamespot in Garden City closed down over 2 years ago. And I have become unhappy with the major franchise stores, so Ebay has been my only alternative until now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

First off, thanks for the replies. I did not have as much free time as I had hoped but I did get to try to visit a couple of the places you guys mentioned.

I tried to go to the Dixie Flea Market, but couldn't find it. Turns out I did not drive far enough on Dixie to meet Telegraph, but it was the weekend of the Woodward Dream Cruise and the roads around Woodward even up there were pretty crowded, so I just bailed.

I did find the Game Quest on Gratiot Rd. and it was pretty cool! Good selection for all systems except the really rare ones, and the prices weren't too great. I did enjoy looking through all the stuff and took advantage of their Buy 2 get 3 free sale on Genesis games. I picked up Rastan Saga II, Space Invaders 91, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, WarpSpeed, and Zero Tolerance for about $17. Not too bad for some games that I haven't seen and are pretty rare.

thanks again!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

Damn, wish I'd have seen this sooner - the Gibraltar Trade Center is usually an excellent source and I'm pretty sure there are two of them, one in Taylor and I can't remember where the other one is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Vermilion View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't found anyplace since The Gamespot in Garden City closed down over 2 years ago. And I have become unhappy with the major franchise stores, so Ebay has been my only alternative until now.
    The Game Spot was just down the road from me… I was friends with the owner (whom has moved to Georgia) as well as some of the staff that has worked there… we usually hang out regularly.

OF note, in the same general area (Inkster) there is a game shop that does sell some video game stuff. They are not the best place and their selection and prices sometimes can be in question, but I just picked up Run Saber and Metal Storm for a price of $11 just the other day and I bought a Shadowrun SNES cart for $5 on new years eve (as well as a used Wii controller).

This place is called Game Time. BE WARNED. It is in a "rough" part of town. It is on Inkster Rd. just south of Cherry Hill Rd. on the east side of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by theChad View Post
    Damn, wish I'd have seen this sooner - the Gibraltar Trade Center is usually an excellent source and I'm pretty sure there are two of them, one in Taylor and I can't remember where the other one is.
    The other Gibraltar is located in Mt. Clemons. I have not been there in a while…
    Last edited by TurboGenesis; 08-20-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sword_Of_Vermilion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=TurboGenesis;1419014]The Game Spot was just down the road from me… I was friends with the owner (whom has moved to Georgia) as well as some of the staff that has worked there… we usually hang out regularly.

OF note, in the same general area (Inkster) there is a game shop that does sell some video game stuff. They are not the best place and their selection and prices sometimes can be in question, but I just picked up Run Saber and Metal Storm for a price of $11 just the other day and I bought a Shadowrun SNES cart for $5 on new years eve (as well as a used Wii controller).
    This place is called Game Time. BE WARNED. It is in a "rough" part of town. It is on Inkster Rd. just south of Cherry Hill Rd. on the east side of the street.

Thanks for the info, I used to hang out there a lot on Mondays. I was disappointed to see him close his doors. But he said he had a great opportunity.