Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Default Shadowrun SNES vs Shadowrun GENESIS

I just finished beating the snes version of shadowrun not more than an hour ago and i have to say, it was one of the best rpgs i've played in recent history so just for kicks i decided to give the supposedly superior genesis version a quick run thru, i mean, if i loved the snes version & the general consensus was that the genny version was even better then what could go wrong right? WRONNNNGGG!

maybe i just dont see it, maybe i have to play longer but so far i dont see these 2 games being in the same league, shit i dont even think they're playing the same sport.

i actually prefer the snes graphics over the genny, the top down perspective is way too close for my taste, i much more prefer the 3/4 isometric view used in the snes, the general atmosphere in the snes version conveys a bleaker bladerunner-esque future, it just felt like a truer vision of a cyberpunk universe. the overall presentation, gameplay & especially the dark ominous music compel me to side with the minority & say the snes shadowrun is superior.

am i alone on this? to those who prefer the genesis version my question is this....WHY????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I greatly prefer the Genesis version because of its open-ended world, lack of censorship (Nintendo wouldn't even let them use the term "chop shop"), and battle system, which is more true to the original Shadowrun rules. I found the SNES version to be really clunky in general. Combat is much better in the Genesis version, as targeting enemies is a breeze, unlike on SNES. I was also disappointed in the SNES version's depiction of the Matrix, which was done brilliantly on Genesis. And why does the SNES version have a cursor? Console games should never have cursors unless absolutely necessary. And why is the simple act of opening doors so weird in that game?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i prefer only the camera style of snes. the genesis does everything better. i will second everything j_factor said. the story is also (in my opinion) slightly more intrigueing on the genesis.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me they are almst 2 different type games. Snes is the better role playing game, but I think Genesis is a esier to understand and better game.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm also a fan of the SNES version.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I greatly prefer the Genesis version because of its open-ended world, lack of censorship (Nintendo wouldn't even let them use the term "chop shop"), and battle system, which is more true to the original Shadowrun rules. I found the SNES version to be really clunky in general. Combat is much better in the Genesis version, as targeting enemies is a breeze, unlike on SNES. I was also disappointed in the SNES version's depiction of the Matrix, which was done brilliantly on Genesis. And why does the SNES version have a cursor? Console games should never have cursors unless absolutely necessary. And why is the simple act of opening doors so weird in that game?
    yea the whole censorship thing was kinda dumb, wasnt there an uncensored version out tho? pal release or maybe just the initial 1st batch maybe, think i read it on wiki or something.

anyway, i dont know how u can choose the genesis interface over the snes, i just got my ass handed to me trying to shoot some orcs, i tried "powerwalking" away but i just died...maybe i just suck =(

the mouse cursor thing never really bothered me, takes getting used to i suppose, i havent jacked into the matrix in this version yet but the hate the snes version gets is ill deserved i thought it was cool

there is one thing i think we can all agree on, this isnt even up 4 debate its just a stone cold fact...the snes version not only has the better soundtrack, it has some of the most memorable music found in ANY game, denying this is like trying to deny gravity or that carlos mencia & george lopez are both severely over-rated...severely

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by EX-Soldier View Post
    I just finished beating the snes version of shadowrun not more than an hour ago and i have to say, it was one of the best rpgs i've played in recent history so just for kicks i decided to give the supposedly superior genesis version a quick run thru, i mean, if i loved the snes version & the general consensus was that the genny version was even better then what could go wrong right? WRONNNNGGG!

maybe i just dont see it, maybe i have to play longer but so far i dont see these 2 games being in the same league, shit i dont even think they're playing the same sport.

i actually prefer the snes graphics over the genny, the top down perspective is way too close for my taste, i much more prefer the 3/4 isometric view used in the snes, the general atmosphere in the snes version conveys a bleaker bladerunner-esque future, it just felt like a truer vision of a cyberpunk universe. the overall presentation, gameplay & especially the dark ominous music compel me to side with the minority & say the snes shadowrun is superior.

am i alone on this? to those who prefer the genesis version my question is this....WHY????
    I prefer the Genesis version because it's the closest adaptation of the original Pen and Paper RPG. Although both are really good games in their own regard. The SNES version nails atmosphere and story, while the Genesis version excels in mechanics and the little references to people and locations. Computer hacking and the Matrix is also one of the best parts of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, the Genesis version got dumped on back when it came out for not being as good as the SNES one.

Other than the graphics, I prefer the Genesis one by a very large margin, though. Better control, more interesting gameplay, addictive hacking segments, etc. The one crummy thing about the game for me is the initial grind / series of fetch quests.

Shame it didn't look as good as the SNES one. That's gotta be one of my favorite looking games from the era.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in the Genesis camp (although to be fair I think most of us enjoyed the hell out of both of the titles). As many others have said better cyberspace/matrix, open ended game world, the ability to go on runs for extra cash, and the fact that it felt more like an RPG on the Genny than an adventure game on the SNES.

If you want to make the game a little easier I still remember the ultimate code:
    On the titles screen after "press start" appears press A,B,B,A,C,A,B, start a new game or load an existing game and go to your pocket secretary. At the bottom is a previously unselectable slot you can access to get $255,000, all contact, all matrix codes, and a few other goodies.

My suggestion: Toughen up chummer and give the Genny version a little more of your time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by shoes23 View Post
    I'm in the Genesis camp (although to be fair I think most of us enjoyed the hell out of both of the titles). As many others have said better cyberspace/matrix, open ended game world, the ability to go on runs for extra cash, and the fact that it felt more like an RPG on the Genny than an adventure game on the SNES.

If you want to make the game a little easier I still remember the ultimate code:
    On the titles screen after "press start" appears press A,B,B,A,C,A,B, start a new game or load an existing game and go to your pocket secretary. At the bottom is a previously unselectable slot you can access to get $255,000, all contact, all matrix codes, and a few other goodies.

My suggestion: Toughen up chummer and give the Genny version a little more of your time.

quoted for slick use of the colloquial word "chummer"

....also any fan of preacher is automatically cool =)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the SNES version. I look at it as more of an adaptation. The SNES version had the best music, graphics, sound and story. But the Genesis version was a true Shadowrun game. I would have to give the Genesis version the upper hand since it is truer to the pen and paper version.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by prismra View Post
    I love the SNES version. I look at it as more of an adaptation. The SNES version had the best music, graphics, sound and story. But the Genesis version was a true Shadowrun game. I would have to give the Genesis version the upper hand since it is truer to the pen and paper version.
    i see this being mentioned alot, the genny version being truer to the table-top pen & paper rpg, but do you think the nostalgia factor influences your bias towards the genny version?
    Last edited by EX-Soldier; 08-11-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love them both but Genesis gets the nod. The SNES game suffers from censorship and lacks depth, particularly the Matrix sequences, while the Genny version gives you the whole package.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EX-Soldier View Post
    i see this being mentioned alot, the genny version being truer to the table-top pen & paper rpg, but do you think the nostalgia factor influences your bias towards the genny version?
    Myself, I never had any experience with the tabletop Shadowrun until after I'd played both video games in question, and even then I never got to play it on a regular basis. But I really think that when you're adapting something to a different medium, faithfulness to the original product counts for something. I'm also of the opinion, separately, that the battle system in the Genesis version has more depth and is more enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would the Genesis version be fun to play even if I haven't tried the pen & paper one (I haven't tried any pen & paper actually)? Or does the fun rely a lot on past experience on the franchise?

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

BUMP!

came back to reitirate that the genny version still sucks =(

LONG LIVE THE SNES!
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Earth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i much prefer the Super Nintendo version. it's a really awesome game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis? PfffTTt.. SNES?? PFFFTTTBBBTTTHHH!!

Sega CD version forever! English translation plz?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadowrun for the Genny was way better that the SNES one
    hands down one of the best genny games made

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I loved the SNES one, I just wish the combat had been much more action oriented instead of devolving to "Cast Shield, Spam Power Ball" near the end, not to mention the ridiculous targeting system that forced me to aim at the enemy again after trying to escape their attacks...

The writing was incredible for the era, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic