Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game DVD hard drive installs coming to Xbox 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like an attempt to get people to buy their larger, overpriced drives. Brilliant!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Sounds good to me, will save my disc drive some wear. That's the only peice of hardware I've had issues with thus far, so the paranoia factor is high for me in that department. Will also increase load times, I'm sure.
    It should decrease load times, not increase them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I'd be all over this if I didn't have the 20 GB version
    QFE

I only have like 2 gigs left too.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I think its great (especially since my 360 drive is on the fritz now and then) its much more convenient however I need a bigger HD thanks to all my Rock band content I only have a few gigs left, big HD needed!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I don't think it rips the entire game to the hard drive when you choose to do an install. Actually as far as I know, all my installs on PS3 have usually been under 75MB a piece. I'm not going to argue the fact that a bigger HD will be needed though. I got the 60 gig PS3 and about 12 games installed, save files, and downloadable content, and I still have plenty of space left.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I think its a pretty nice feature that isn't causing a bit of harm by having. I think its more pointless to give us a hard drive, and not let us take full advantage of it in ways such as this if we so wish.

Spending 10 minutes having the disc rip itself on to a hard drive hardly erases the differences between console gaming and PC gaming, and installations don't make PC gaming, its just something you must do before playing a game. The experience of the games are what makes the difference between PC and console gaming.
    How is it any different from installing a PC game? It's not, it's the exact same thing, except they're charging you 2-3 times as much for the games and the hard drives! But if you enjoy the "experience" of paying 2-3 times as much for the exact same thing that you could be getting for 2-3 times less, then by all means continue to enjoy your "console experience". Meanwhile, I'll be playing the exact same games, in higher resolutions with higher framerates, at only a fraction of the cost for "the console experience". Which means that I'll have tons more games in my collection, cause I'll be saving tons of money on 'em!

I know what you mean up to a point, as I used to be a console gamer myself, but that was way back in the 16-32-64 BIT eras, when the only way you could ever play all those games was to own all those consoles. But now it's not like that anymore. You may miss out on a few "exclusive" games that don't get ported to the PC, but you won't miss out on most of them, plus you'll get to play all the PC exclusives that don't get ported to the consoles!

To each his own, but I just don't see the point in owning all the modern consoles anymore, when you can enjoy most of the games for all of those systems on just one "system", at a fraction of the price. Especially when the latest trends are to make "the console experience" as much like "the PC gaming experience" as possible, at 2-3 times the price. So now they're trying to sell the idea of installing all your games to your hard drive as the latest new feature... a feature that's been standard on every PC ever made since the invention of the PC decades ago... and you still think it's worth more?

I can hardly wait till they finally complete the evolution of "console gaming" to the point that your only choice will be what brand of PC you want, and all the big game makers can focus on just making games for all the PC's of the world, so we no longer have to worry about what the latest new consoles are... we can just buy the latest new upgrades required to play the latest new games, as I've been doing since the death of the Dreamcast! But in the meantime, I'm still enjoying playing all the latest "console" games on my PC, at a fraction of the cost, while everyone else is paying out the ass for 'em!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    How is it any different from installing a PC game? It's not, it's the exact same thing, except they're charging you 2-3 times as much for the games and the hard drives! But if you enjoy the "experience" of paying 2-3 times as much for the exact same thing that you could be getting for 2-3 times less, then by all means continue to enjoy your "console experience". Meanwhile, I'll be playing the exact same games, in higher resolutions with higher framerates, at only a fraction of the cost for "the console experience". Which means that I'll have tons more games in my collection, cause I'll be saving tons of money on 'em!

I know what you mean up to a point, as I used to be a console gamer myself, but that was way back in the 16-32-64 BIT eras, when the only way you could ever play all those games was to own all those consoles. But now it's not like that anymore. You may miss out on a few "exclusive" games that don't get ported to the PC, but you won't miss out on most of them, plus you'll get to play all the PC exclusives that don't get ported to the consoles!

To each his own, but I just don't see the point in owning all the modern consoles anymore, when you can enjoy most of the games for all of those systems on just one "system", at a fraction of the price. Especially when the latest trends are to make "the console experience" as much like "the PC gaming experience" as possible, at 2-3 times the price. So now they're trying to sell the idea of installing all your games to your hard drive as the latest new feature... a feature that's been standard on every PC ever made since the invention of the PC decades ago... and you still think it's worth more?

I can hardly wait till they finally complete the evolution of "console gaming" to the point that your only choice will be what brand of PC you want, and all the big game makers can focus on just making games for all the PC's of the world, so we no longer have to worry about what the latest new consoles are... we can just buy the latest new upgrades required to play the latest new games, as I've been doing since the death of the Dreamcast! But in the meantime, I'm still enjoying playing all the latest "console" games on my PC, at a fraction of the cost, while everyone else is paying out the ass for 'em!
    Not every console game comes to the PC, though. Out of the nine 360 games I own, only one is on PC. None of my PS3 games are.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    It should decrease load times, not increase them.
    Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Arrow

How is it any different from installing a PC game? It's not, it's the exact same thing, except they're charging you 2-3 times as much for the games and the hard drives!
    Where'd I say its any different than installing a game from a PC? My point is you act like this is the only difference between the PC and console gaming worlds, and I'm argueing that it's just a minor difference and the big one is the different experience your typical PC game has compared to a console title. I'm sorry, but I just don't see how being able to preload a console title on to a hard drive means the differences between the two platforms have been erased.

I'm sorry, but if you think the thing that marks the primary difference between PC gaming and console gaming is you have to install a PC game for a few minutes first before playing, you've barely played one or the other.

Very few of my console titles get PC ports, I bet only 10% of my PS2/Xbox/360/GCN/Wii titles I've purchased have seen PC ports, and those that have are console experiences that gain nothing through being played on a PC (Such as Colin McRae Dirt, you don't gain anything using a PC steering wheel since its designed throughout for gamepads rather than the more realistic control a wheel provides, all you gain is annoyance with high hardware requirements to do what a cheaper console does immediately).

And the same goes for the PC titles I enjoy, you'll never find titles like Silent Hunter or MS Flight Simulator being ported to consoles. Both offer distinct advantages and different experiences. I stick to PC games that take advantage of the platform, rather than the few PC ports of big console hits. That means things like racing sims like iRacing and NASCAR Racing 2003 Season with top of the line PC steering wheels, pedals, and shifters. Or flight sims with good throttles, joysticks, or steering yokes. Or the types of games that take advantage of the PC's native control devices such as real time strategy titles, other simulations like SimCity 3000, or the fps's I wish to play online (I can go without a keyboard and mouse for single player experiences, but I'm just annoyed trying to use a gamepad if I want to play online).

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.
    That's what I figured, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to clarify it in case someone read this and was confused if they weren't sure of the benefits installing to a hd could provide.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-14-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

It's not, it's the exact same thing, except they're charging you 2-3 times as much for the games and the hard drives!
    The Hard Drives I'll give you. The games I won't. Not when they first come out anyway, well before Gold/Platinum/Diamond versions launch. PC Games like Civ (my all time favourite) charge a hefty penny for expansions, then release them all together if you're patient enough. Never happens on a console.

Plus I know my console will be able to play every game ever released for it. As opposed to a new PC game which my computer isn't powerful enough to play because of my PCs age

(But to each his own, as you said! I do love PC games!)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end