Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by Kronenbier View Post
    Maybe this isn't the right place, but I would like ask a few questions about the Willem programmer. Please answer if you can:

1- You guys use USB or AC adapter for power?
    2- Since it has no on/off button, can you simply connect/disconnect it with the computer turned on?
    3- I've got one, but don't have an eprom yet. Is there a way I can test if it is working without actually recording an eprom?
    4- Where do you buy your eproms? (Can you send a link by PM?)
    5- I'd like to use it in my laptop, which does not have DB-25 parallel port. I found a PCMCIA to DB-25 (about 21 USD). Would that work?

Thanks again. Hopefully I can soon post my repros :-)
    From what I've researched over the last week or so (I was looking in to doing this for SNES games), this is what I've found out:

1. USB power is finicky and you should use an external power source for programming rom chips. Apparently the USB power isn't high enough to correctly program the chips, though it will work, people recommend using an external source if available.

2. USB devices can safely be unplugged while the computer is on or off...

3. Check the software to see if there's a diagnostic tool. If not, you might need to get a chip. I wouldn't imagine they're more than $1 or $2 per chip...

4. Google my friend, Google.

5. PCMCIA is the laptop version of the PCI Bus. If you get a PCMCIA card that has a parallel port on it, it should work just fine once the drivers are installed. $21 isn't bad, though check around newegg or tigerdirect for cheaper prices.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. About your answers:

2- You said to use another power source instead of USB. Can that be plugged/unplugged like that too?
    3- The problem isn't the cost of the chip, is waiting for one to arrive without knowing if the programmer is ok or not. I'll see if the program can say something.
    4- I've found many, but I thought they were a lot cheaper. Sorry, I didn't specify: I was talking about 27C801. I thought I'd buy like a hundred for USD 30 (or something like that), the lowest price I found is USD 5 (min 10). Used chips!
    5- I will. Have to check carefully because many of those adapters only emulate printer function.

Thanks again.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Thanks. About your answers:

2- You said to use another power source instead of USB. Can that be plugged/unplugged like that too?
    3- The problem isn't the cost of the chip, is waiting for one to arrive without knowing if the programmer is ok or not. I'll see if the program can say something.
    4- I've found many, but I thought they were a lot cheaper. Sorry, I didn't specify: I was talking about 27C801. I thought I'd buy like a hundred for USD 30 (or something like that), the lowest price I found is USD 5 (min 10). Used chips!
    5- I will. Have to check carefully because many of those adapters only emulate printer function.

Thanks again.
    2. It could be unplugged if there's no power switch... they don't expect you to plug it in, and then leave it there forever lol.

3. Ah, yeah, check the program, or check Google for any manuals on the device to see if there's a self test check/diagnostics mode.

4. Are you sure that's the right chip? I thought I read somewhere that the chips used for NES games were 27C512 or 27C128. I believe the tutorial I read was that the last 3 digits were the size of the chips in kb - 128 = 128kb, 512 = 512kb, and 27C004 = 4 MB. If that article is right, then 801 is an odd number...

5. Not sure, but you could always invest in a USB programmer...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are for SNES actually.

About 2, I don't speak very well and I'm not sure if you're joking or if I wasn't clear. I meant if I had to turn the computer off to then unplug the programmer.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Those are for SNES actually.

About 2, I don't speak very well and I'm not sure if you're joking or if I wasn't clear. I meant if I had to turn the computer off to then unplug the programmer.
    Sorry, I was making a joke lol, it failed. If it doesn't have an on/off switch, you can just unplug it. It wouldn't recommend plugging it in and unplugging it fast, as in, in out in out in out in out, otherwise you could do some damage with voltage spikes, but just to plug it in, use it, then unplug it, you should be fine

So you're doing SNES games? Let me know how it works out for you, I'd definitely be interested in knowing all the details about doing repro's or at least know someone who can make them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh no problem.
    About SNES, there are some people in this topic.

Kogami's page has a simple tutorial I'll try soon. But I still need the eproms and some carts. I only found 3 of mine: Killer Instinct, Mario RPG and Final Fight 3. They're nice games, can't destroy them =)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although not technically a repro it will be used to play famicom cart based repros if I can ever figure out how to open these damn things without the aid of a hammer.

You can see the big crack the front here. That was from the (metal) bandsaw I stupidly put it in first. It tore the front of the case off.

I trimmed up the sides of the black passthrough so that a Famicom cart slides down on it nicely. I took about .030" off each side.

One of my goals here was to not destroy the original parts as I quite like Hogan's Alley and Pinball (the only cart's I've found so far.) Thus no permanent altering modifications have been made. The blue stuff is machine washable foam drawer liner. It's to keep the passthrough stable and helps prevent it sliding out the top.

Here's the raison d' etre. The carts pull off quite easily too so long as you grip the front and back of the NES case firmly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Kronenbier; 08-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by Einzelherz View Post
    Although not technically a repro it will be used to play famicom cart based repros if I can ever figure out how to open these damn things without the aid of a hammer.
    Each game is different. Most cartridges (read: MOST) can be opened using a piece of plastic (use UHMW) or phenolic shaped to resemble a scraper. You can use this to pry under the two sections and pop the tabs loose. This ought to work to open your Final Fantasy III cart. Other games have screws under their labels, others use standard NES cart screws.

Gonna have to take it on a cart-by-cart basis.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    Each game is different. Most cartridges (read: MOST) can be opened using a piece of plastic (use UHMW) or phenolic shaped to resemble a scraper. You can use this to pry under the two sections and pop the tabs loose. This ought to work to open your Final Fantasy III cart. Other games have screws under their labels, others use standard NES cart screws.

Gonna have to take it on a cart-by-cart basis.
    I got it eventually. A mixture of a file's handle, a quick vice and finger pain opened it w/o breakage. Now to get FF2 and some EPROMS.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Goldstream's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very impressive!

Considering the EEPROM Writer, which one do you guys consider the best and most easy to use?

I really would love to make Cartdriges of the translated Fire Emblem Snes games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

I got it eventually. A mixture of a file's handle, a quick vice and finger pain opened it w/o breakage. Now to get FF2 and some EPROMS.
    What the Japanese will do to save a buck on production costs. I've got a guy sending me a Famicom cart to have the chips swapped so I've gotta worry about breaking 'em on someone else's game. That sucks.

The guy I get my chips through on the fleaBay is "connectors_usa". His prices are good and they are at my door two days after purchase every single time. Not trying to be a shameless plug, but he sells good stuff and ships fast, so he deserves the good word being spread

My next cart to get the EPROM job is Just Breed. Does anyone have the pinouts for the EKROM mask chips? They're their own beast, apparently...
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the ebay guy burn them or just sells EPROMS?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the ebay guy burn them or just sells EPROMS?
    I don't think it is a good idea to pay for someone to burn the eproms for you. A simple programmer isn't expensive. Well, you also need an eraser (I just gave up trying to erase my eprom in the sun and with a UV lamp) and possibly adapters for different memory types.

Has anyone been sucessful with SNES Der Langrisser retro?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it is a good idea to pay for someone to burn the eproms for you. A simple programmer isn't expensive. Well, you also need an eraser (I just gave up trying to erase my eprom in the sun and with a UV lamp) and possibly adapters for different memory types.

Has anyone been sucessful with SNES Der Langrisser retro?
    My two prior repros were off EPROMS from gamereproductions and I'm planning on going through him for the next two as well. My only complaint is that it takes a month even to just get EPROMS sent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm probably a little late on this, but i've got a question for Kogami.
    i saw that you made a DBZ: Hyper Dimension Repro, and i was wondering, what donor and replacement eprom did you use?
    also, how did you wire it in there?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone have any links to a decent yet relatively inexpensive burner? I've got a friend that wants to get into making repros.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bartre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    anyone have any links to a decent yet relatively inexpensive burner? I've got a friend that wants to get into making repros.
    I picked mine up off of ebay, cost me about $40, and will do all the stuff for nes/snes games except for TSOP and the 40 pin chips.

and kogami,
    Would i be correct in assuming that you just took the japanese cart, then wired in the chip as you would for a Star Ocean cart, that is, omit pins 1 and 33, then reroute pin 44 from the board, and send it to pin 33 on the eprom?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kogami, is that the same for Super Mario RPG?