Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flea markets better then ebay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Flea markets better then ebay?

I pretty much always get a older game either from ebay, or on here. I rarely ever went to the flea market. My friends and I decided to take a trip down there this morning though to check out what they have (they were interested in other things, not games). When we got there, I went around to all the video game shops, and they have a pretty good selection, but most of the prices seem very high. Like 20 dollars for Donkey Kong 64, or 15 for Tetris (NES). Those are just some examples, but it seems like there were no good deals. Anyone else have trouble looking at flea markets around where you live(I'm in Buffalo NY)? Or are I just being a cheap @$$ (been known to be one before).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Back in the 90's, flea markets were the best way to get classic rare stuff. In Bayamon, there was a flea market located near Sears that had loads of nice goodies. Some wickedly awesome games that appeared no where else.

Also, in the same route, there was another fleamarket that had loads of Condor Attacks, with box and manuals, for only $2 a piece. It was fantastic!

Now however, things have dried up pretty much. However, I have a gut feeling that if I go away from the metropolitan area, I may score some fantastic finds and some wicked rarities...I just need to do the trip...

So it depends. I prefer the hunt.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, fleas have gotten spendier and spendier. On the upside you can get actual fleas there now....

Seriously though, you almost have to leave bigger areas (metros, large cities) to find anything these days...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    On the upside you can get actual fleas there now....
    Hahaha!

That, and loads and loads of ceramic figurines!

I also notice the trend that prices in metropolitan area flea markets are much higher than outside the area...I need to do a trip!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sergeant Sega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FSK BigHurt
    PSN
    ChiefofNorway

Hehe, have not found anything cool at a fleamarket for awhile. It seems like people don't give away games and such as often as they used to before.

All your oil are belong to U.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

flea markets over here are HORRIBLE, this dude is trying to sell soul calibur for the DC for 90 dollars, no joke. I can't believe how expensive their games are, I saw the soul calibur price and I started laughing.

Pawn shops are still good, but thats it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I go to a flea in Bridgeville PA called Trader Jacks where I find decent deals on a pretty regular basis. Just last week I picked up a good condtion copy of NES Marble Madness for $2. Later that same day I went to two used shops in the area, bothe were selling it for $10. That was pretty awesome. I've found others just as good.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

I haven't been to many flea markets, but from what I gather, yard sales are a much better place. People actually want to get rid of their stuff instead of making a profit.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My area is pretty bad. We don't have any flea markets and we only have a few pawn shops, which don't carry anything older than PSX or n64. The yard sales have also dried up. It also sucks that all the yard sales generally start on Friday. I'm going to start work soon, so I won't be able to go out yard sailing on the day when you have the best chance of finding games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

ebay has ruined it for us, the people at flea markets has smarted up.......no more cheap stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I get most of my really good stuff from yard sales these days. Luckily for me, in SW Ontario, yard sales are Saturdays from 7am to noon ONLY. No one here does multi-day sales or ones on Friday or Sunday. So I can hit ALL the sales first thing and not worry about sucking up my weekend or Friday nights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealist50 View Post
    flea markets over here are HORRIBLE, this dude is trying to sell soul calibur for the DC for 90 dollars, no joke. I can't believe how expensive their games are, I saw the soul calibur price and I started laughing.

Then I bet the guy asks himself "Why the hell doesn't this game sell!? It's a rare game!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First post here guys. Flea markets is where i have been getting most of my stuff. Now there are a few over priced ones. Like today there was a nice game store in one. But the price of some of the stuff was crazy. A Sega Genesis CD add on for 50 bucks. a 32x for 45. Prices are a bit high but there is some stuff that is priced much better. Atari games 25Cents each. But then there are the games that are way over priced. Mario 2 and 3 for the nes 25 each. i just Laugh and walk out. Ill get them on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Then I bet the guy asks himself "Why the hell doesn't this game sell!? It's a rare game!"

funny you should say that, he tried to sell me a outdated nascar game for the PS2 and he was claiming that its a "rare" game...20 bucks.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

funny you should say that, he tried to sell me a outdated nascar game for the PS2 and he was claiming that its a "rare" game...20 bucks.
    That's almost as funny/sad as the woman who tried to trade in NASCAR 2001 for the PS1 at Gamestop expecting to get $40 for it.

Anyway, not many flea markets around here. I do most of my shopping at specialty stores that know how to price things, but I occasionally go to Goodwill and find a deal like Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast for $4 factory sealed.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Man thats nothing, a guy I know asked one game vendor at a flea market if he had Super Punch-Out!! (snes) and the guy's response (in a think Boston accent): "You are seeking a hundred and fifty dollar game there pal"

What a joke, i guess some people just have no clue.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm wondering if you could pull a reversal on them. Go to that guy with a copy of Super Punch Out!! and say "Would you buy this for $75? If he really believes the game is worth $150 he'd probably jump on that. If he's decidedly reluctant then that might let you know he's BSing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Luckily, at the local flea market I go to, there's only really one game vendor. He doesn't charge ridiculous prices for anything, and since I tend to go there instead of eBay when I'm looking for something specific, he tends to give me a little bit of a break on things.

Trader's Village in Grand Prairie, TX is the one I go to whenever I can rarely get a Saturday or Sunday off, and it's pretty hit and miss. I shouldn't say this... but a lot of the vendors out there are... fairly fresh over the border. They usually don't know what they have and whether it's valuable or not. I picked up a Sears Heavy Sixer with a multi-cartridge port along with several games and joysticks for something like $20. If you keep your eyes out there, you can find all sorts of good things. You just have to make sure to turn over every proverbial rock. And go with someone, since two or three sets of eyes are better than one.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flea markets are just so random. Ususally if a vendor is all video games at a flea market then you should expect the more ebay esque prices, but you can also find those people that are just selling a bunch of mixed stuff at a flea market and find something decent.

I tend to go to thrift stores the most. Thrift stores get a bunch of crap from everywhere and they tend to have a general, overhead pricing for games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the thrifts here get picked clean I'm fairly certain that the employees are buying the stuff.