Thread: Relatives that dont play alot video games....but that one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Relatives that dont play alot video games....but that one

Okay, we all have them. We all have relatives that dont play alot or any video games...but possibly one. In my family, I have a father in law that only likes to play one video game....for his memory. He likes to play Pikmin on the Gamecube. What is your story and who in your family that is like this?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither my mom or dad plays video games anymore, but back in the 90s, my dad was amazing at Dangerous Dave and my mom was amazing at Duke Nukem...

Other than that, most of my relatives that play video games play a lot of video games.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My father plays a lot of Freecell and Solitaire on an old Gateway 2000 from 1994. Which, at this point, is really just a big solitaire machine anyway. He doesn't do it anymore but when he was younger he was a crackshot at light gun games thanks to his National Guard training.

My mother, who's trying to exercise more, just recently asked me if I knew about that "Wii thing" which amused me since she's walked by it in my house at least 100,000 times. I told her it would probably be better to actually walk around the block a few times rather than screw around with Wii Fit or something though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My cousin David is all about video games. So much so that, sadly, it probably hurts him more than it serves as a simple form of entertainment. (but that's clearly another story)

My nieces are pretty big time gamers. They have a Wii and even a pink DS (yes, they're little girls). It'll be interesting for me to see if they're still gaming 10 years from now, or if they lose interest in it for makeup, boys, shopping, etc.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0) drunkninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My grandmother was a big Wolfenstein 3D/Doom/Doom 2 player back in the day. She never did go past those games, though. But I always loved the reaction I got as a kid when I told my friends that my grandma played Doom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default Let he who is without sin cast the first controller...

Mrs. Pan loves her some MAME Klax. A few years back she was giving me the "You spend too much time playing video games!" speech which all gamers' wives are obligated to give at least once. I said I didn't think my gaming amounted to any more than 30 minutes a day during the week and she countered that this was still too excessive. So I went to her PC, pulled up the Klax ROM and put it into service mode, which gave a total number of credits used and total time in hours that the virtual machine was "powered on". Between that data and the date of the installation of the program in Windows, it was shown that Mrs. Pan was playing Klax for average of 50 minutes per day over the previous six months.

...and that was the last time I heard the "too much time with games" speech.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a brother that plays nothing but sports games. Really just baseball and tiger woods. he tries other games, but those last him a day or 2 and then right back to baseball and tiger woods

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

My mom plays WAY too much World of Warcraft. I dont even have an account anymore.
    Growing up I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be mad at my mom for playing video games all day every day. Its bad
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm actually glad that my parents don't play video games. Having that in common with the folks doesn't appeal to me at all. Maybe at 24 years old I should be past that stage but I'm really not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I'm actually glad that my parents don't play video games. Having that in common with the folks doesn't appeal to me at all. Maybe at 24 years old I should be past that stage but I'm really not.
    Dude, I am 25. My parents don't play games either, but think of what is going to happen when we have kids. Think of the DPers who did have kids, hahaha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mom will tinker with an Atari if I have it hooked up and she likes tetris on Game Boy. Though just yesterday she asked if Tetris was that block puzzle game.
    My dad used to play Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on SNES with me, blaming the third base guy in throwing the wrong way. NASCAR for PS2, and recently well really since the game came out Hot Shots 4 my dad is addicted to it. Thousands of missed putts, restarts, and points later he just became the highest rank. For someone that doesn't do video gaming often he also asked me if I had a spare xbox so I could get it modded for him so he can play his favorite Atari, Nintendo games. Modded Xbox for Nintendo NES and Atari 2600 games...that made my day.
    My sister is one of those that swears that games are stupid and doesn't play them. Though when I was gone one day and had the Guitar Hero set up I caught her playing then later on that day she told me that is a worthless game and no one should play it. I usually catch her playing on something if I have it hooked up, last game it was Donkey Kong 2 for SNES.
    Rest of my family not a clue.

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my mom loves tetris but will also play froger, donkey kong, and mario and that's about it. My 75 year old grand father can't resist a game of golden eye.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When we first got a computer, back in the mid '90s, my dad used to play Sharkey's Pool. I think he enjoyed it so much because he was naturally good at pool. That's when I used to play Out of this World, Commander Keen, and Wolfenstein.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Dude, I am 25. My parents don't play games either, but think of what is going to happen when we have kids. Think of the DPers who did have kids, hahaha.
    All I know is that I will actively do my best to avoid beginning a sentence with "In my day..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

Like someone else said, my mom will play some Atari when I have it hooked up. She said she had one when she was a kid but doesn't really remember having a lot of games for it or anything, just a couple like Pitfall, Breakout, Fishing Derby... Anyways, she'll play Mario Kart, Mario Golf, or Guitar Hero if someone else is playing. So it's not just that 'one game' but I guess she's kinda picky.

Other than her, I can remember playing TNN Bass Tournament of Champions with my aunt on SNES when I was around 6 years old before she gave me the system, and she was probably not even 16 at the time. Her husband, I can remember, would always play One or Loaded on PlayStation. Then another aunt was crazy about Crash Bandicoot and she was really good at it.

I don't know - it's kinda odd to think about when I was young how my aunts and uncles would really get into the games that my cousins and I would play, and even be better than we were. Creepy, but I guess that's probably what the future holds as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Tetris. My mom had this obsession with playing Gameboy Tetris on my Super Game Boy. Which meant she monopolized my SNES for like a year.

And there's always this one which sprang instantly to mind.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mom has a thing for committed handhelds, like solitaire, Yahtzee, Uno and the like. Back the early '80s, she got hooked on ColecoVision Smurf Rescue for some reason. The only game dad ever liked was RealSports Baseball on the 5200, because we could play it together. He couldn't get over the fact that a video game could "talk."
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Father and I used to super nintendo.. this was when PS2 was out. Super Mario being the game.
    Before that I dont think he played any games.

Mother used to play Atari the game being pong. She played by her friends house.

Brother hardly plays games, when he does its only wrestling games..

Now for the best part::
    My grandmother LOVES to play Sega Genesis. Thank God I still have mine.... Yes I play too. She loves to play MEGA BOMBERMAN. She says its the only system easy for her to understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My three-month-old twin nieces, Brooklyyn and Jordyyn, play the hell out of Leisure Suit Larry.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mom plays Tetris habitually and exclusively. She briefly tried playing NES-era games with my brother and I when we were younger but none of them stuck.

My father only plays Chessmaster on the NES.