Insignia makes one with Analog pass though

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    An RF Modulator is all you need.
    Actually, a DEmodulator is what you need. Or as the thread topic says, a TV tuner. searching eBay for one or the other of those terms always turns up a number of results. Some of them are expensive professional equipment, but there usually seems to be a couple demodulators available for a reasonable price. VCR is almost always going to be the cheapest option, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter View Post
    Since you said "ALL my RF stuff", that means multiple RF sources, correct? (like multiple game consoles)

SO did you have a way to switch between the RF sources and then output ONE of the signals into ONE VCR?
    (Is there some kind of coaxial switch box? you know, like 4 coaxial inputs, 4 buttons and one coaxial output? )
    Since every system that can think of carries its RF on an RCA cable from the system to the switchbox, why not just use an RCA input source selector and then send the output from that to a single RF switchbox or RCA-to-coax adapter?

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr101z View Post

BTW, the delay caused by some DVR's and DVD recorders is due to the fact they they are digitizing the analog signal coming in, which as stated can make the game unplayable due to the lag time. VCR's or other devices with straight through analog won't have the delay.

OK, I got a question about this ^^.

He mentions that the delay between the inputting in coaxial and outputting in composite / RCA jacks is caused by the fact that "they are digitizing the analog signal coming in", presumably so a DVD Recorder or DVR can *record* it.

That being said, would a normal DVD PLAYER (only plays dvds, does not record at all) have the delay too?
    Would a DVD player (player only) have to digitize the analog signal coming into it? (since you're not recording it)

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a DVD player with a built-in tuner. If it's not able to record, there's no reason to put a tuner in it.

If DVD players with tuners do exist, then no, there's no reason the signal would *HAVE* to be digitized, though depending on why the tuner is there perhaps it does it anyway.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick and painless question, how are these adaptors which I believe are mentioned above, and just tune into the channel set on the console?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Quick and painless question, how are these adaptors which I believe are mentioned above, and just tune into the channel set on the console?
    Simple answer, they are great. I use them exclusively on all of my RF based consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    Simple answer, they are great. I use them exclusively on all of my RF based consoles.
    Sounds good. Just ordered one for my 2600 and see how it goes. Switch boxes are sold at local game stores for several bucks, tis why I haven't really gotten around to playing it in the few months I've had. I burnt my other VCS last year from a terrible 3rd party power block, such a bad idea. This unit however has all of the original Atari cables. Looking forward to using some of those variety of controllers I own. If I don't watch it I'll accrue a bunch of carts again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

If there's a radio shack near you, you probably wouldn't have had to order one - I think they're cheaper at RS too.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-phono-p...i-2123169.html

EDIT: Ah, but then again that auction had free shipping, so I guess it weighs out almost even between tax on 3.79 and the extra 20 cents to have one shipped. Maybe just for convenience sake, check out Radio Shack.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

An adapter like the one listed multiple times in this thread will work with a TV which still has an NTSC tuner, but not with something which lacks one. I use them in conjunction with my Sony TV Tuner, and the combination does a nice job of allowing the use of RF video game systems on non-RF monitors.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theChad View Post
    If there's a radio shack near you, you probably wouldn't have had to order one - I think they're cheaper at RS too.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-phono-p...i-2123169.html

EDIT: Ah, but then again that auction had free shipping, so I guess it weighs out almost even between tax on 3.79 and the extra 20 cents to have one shipped. Maybe just for convenience sake, check out Radio Shack.
    Yeah, I realised that but I can't stand Radio Shack. Sadly there was a great electronics store several miles away that I never had the chance to visit. They were bought out a few years ago and closed, all inventory went off someplace.