Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Game Dude Discussion Thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Film school is scam! You'll eventually get sucked into the boring world of corporate A/V. Take my word for it.

I'm also not envisioning your methodology here. So help me understand... You're spending money on film school so you can make youtube videos that rip off other youtube videos? 1000's of people do this everyday, without the aid of any sort of formal film education.

If you want some real advice, I'll give you some for free. Drop out and become an alcoholic.
    Wow. That was a very dumb reply that you made.
    Film school is not a scam. The Nerd went for 5 years, and now he's famous. I won't get sucked into any of that corporate crap, and I will not take your word for it, unless you have facts.

I'm spending money on film school, not to be a rip off, but to be original, and eventually, to be a movie star or something, but that's in the future. Now, I'm reviewing games. You're right. 1,000's do, do this every day without any sort of film education, AND THAT'S WHY THEY SUCK! The Nerd, iRate Gamer, Nostalgia Critic, and Zero Punctuation, and I, may be the only ones that went to school. Once I finish school, I will be famous. Watch.

Drop out and become an alcoholic? That's probably what you did. Man, oh, man, that was a stupid reply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Quote Originally Posted by alexander4488 View Post
    My Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles review is my newest one, and my voice is nowhere near loud, and there's barely any swearing. Besides, the Nerd swears a lot, himself. Watch my TMNT video. Do you like that voice better?
    Yes, I just watched most of this TMNT right now and you do a better job at keeping the level of your voice to something reasonable to listen to.

The AVGN is funny, and his curses are funny, he is a funny guy. You are cursing like he does, for the hell of it, but it just doesn't work for you. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work.

The videos are just not enjoyable, if you put your stuff out there you will get opinions- so it's nothing personal. Something personal though- you might want to reconsider your goal of going to film school to become a movie star- I don't know you at all, but I'm sure you'd have an easier time if you wanted to go to medical or law school.

If you want to make it in film school (not like I went to film school or anything) then I would hope you do try something original as soon as possible, these curse-filled game reviews are nothing you should be proud of, and certainly not something you could ever think about using in a portfolio.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, oh, man, that was a stupid reply.
    It's obvious that there's a sore lack of Truffaut influences on youtube.

Can you imagine how great the Chocolate Rain video could have been if that dude had went to NYU? I'm really starting to see where you're going with this whole film school/youtube combination.

While you're at it grow a sense of humor. It'd help your videos.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    Yes, I just watched most of this TMNT right now and you do a better job at keeping the level of your voice to something reasonable to listen to.

The AVGN is funny, and his curses are funny, he is a funny guy. You are cursing like he does, for the hell of it, but it just doesn't work for you. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work.

The videos are just not enjoyable, if you put your stuff out there you will get opinions- so it's nothing personal. Something personal though- you might want to reconsider your goal of going to film school to become a movie star- I don't know you at all, but I'm sure you'd have an easier time if you wanted to go to medical or law school.

If you want to make it in film school (not like I went to film school or anything) then I would hope you do try something original as soon as possible, these curse-filled game reviews are nothing you should be proud of, and certainly not something you could ever think about using in a portfolio.
    Dude. I've been doing this for 3 months. Before three months, I knew absolutely nothing on how to make movies. I didn't even know what video editing looked like, or how to talk into a microphone or anything like that. The Nerd has been making movies since he was three. The Nerd has to be better. If I were most people, I would still be recording a TV screen in the dark, with a crooked camera, yelling and rambling, messing up words, and talking about nonsense, and if that's semi what my videos are now, well then that's because I'm brand new. In fact, I'm so new, there's no reason for you now, to make a funnier video game review. Don't forget, all my videos are scripted, which is a lot harder to do than non-scripted reviews, but if done right, are much nicer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's obvious that there's a sore lack of Truffaut influences on youtube.

Can you imagine how great the Chocolate Rain video could have been if that dude had went to NYU? I'm really starting to see where you're going with this whole film school/youtube combination.

While you're at it grow a sense of humor. It'd help your videos.
    School is always better. How can it be the opposite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

How old are you, Game Dude? I always get hammered for my opinionated views (sometimes rightly so I guess), but I'm gonna state something else that might get me flamed:

I don't think any classic video game reviewer should be under the age of 33, 32 at minimum. I myself am 35, a hardcore classic gamer and former editor of Zap!, and didn't even play video games until 1979. Even at my age, I missed the entire Pong Age. Consider that Break Out was out a full three years before I even played a game. How in the world is someone born in (let's say) 1981 or 1982 *cough*AVGN*cough*IrateGamer*cough* supposed to know their stuff? Simple answer? They don't. What we really need to see is a serious gamer that's 33-40 start making videoes, and I am seriously considering it myself. So far my favorite is The Happy Console Gamer. You can tell he actually played the games in their time.

There, I said it, flame away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just going to leave it at this: you're trying too hard.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    How old are you, Game Dude? I always get hammered for my opinionated views (sometimes rightly so I guess), but I'm gonna state something else that might get me flamed:

I don't think any classic video game reviewer should be under the age of 33, 32 at minimum. I myself am 35, a hardcore classic gamer and former editor of Zap!, and didn't even play video games until 1979. Even at my age, I missed the entire Pong Age. Consider that Break Out was out a full three years before I even played a game. How in the world is someone born in (let's say) 1981 or 1982 *cough*AVGN*cough*IrateGamer*cough* supposed to know their stuff? Simple answer? They don't. What we really need to see is a serious gamer that's 33-40 start making videoes, and I am seriously considering it myself. So far my favorite is The Happy Console Gamer. You can tell he actually played the games in their time.

Funny how you just scraped by the cutoff age, isn't it?

By that flawless logic, anyone who reviews Shakespeare should be over the age of 450.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Funny how you just scraped by the cutoff age, isn't it?

By that flawless logic, anyone who reviews Shakespeare should be over the age of 450.
    The difference is there is no one who is 450, so so every Shakespeare reviewer has no choice but to have missed it the first time around. There are plenty of people left who are over age 32. I'd rather have a classic reviewer that played the classics the first time around, rather than just buying it off eBay and playing it for the first time. The problem with that is 9 times out of 10 the magic will be gone. Playing SMB for the first time today is not the same as playing it for the first time in 1985 like I did.

I will say that there are exceptions. Certain 20 year olds even, if they're hard-core VG historians, can know their stuff and make excellent reviewers. Happy Console Gamer appears under 30, and he is and always was hardcore. But not people like AVGN. There's no way that guy even heard of a Neo-Geo in 1990, let alone owned one.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

"..." But not people like AVGN. There's no way that guy even heard of a Neo-Geo in 1990, let alone owned one.
    ... Well in his defense, I've played NeoGeo games as early as 1991 - in local arcades. I didn't know what the NeoGeo was until a year later, when I found a four-game MVS system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

There's no way that guy even heard of a Neo-Geo in 1990, let alone owned one.
    Considering that the system launched in 1990 and was target-marketed in the US through VERY specific retailers and press ads (not to mention a ridiculously prohibitive price), it really shouldn't be a mark against anybody to have NOT owned one in 1990.

That aside, I have no idea where your assumption that James wouldn't have HEARD of a Neo-Geo back then. Even without the internet ... I think most gamers had HEARD of a or played with a Neo-Geo - if not the home system, the arcade unit at their local arcade.

I'll have to ask him if that's the case next time I see him.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am 20. You don't have to be born at the time of the games to know everything about them. AVGN and iRate Gamer know their stuff. If you consider making video game reviews yourself, than definitely go for it, and try your best, but it's a lot harder than it looks.

By the way, I know The Happy Console Gamer. He lives very close to me. Oh, and Mega Man Rob. He's awesome, too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget, The Happy Console Gamer is a completely different type of video game reviewer. Comparing him to I, iRate Gamer, and AVGN, is like comparing apples to oranges. There are many types of reviewers out there, that fall into different categories. HCG is more of an improvising, nostalgic, kind of guy, that reviews good games, and what it was like, back in the days. He doesn't really rip into shitty games, like other reviewers, and that's why he's so different. All reviewers are different, but you can only really compare those with similar styles. Never-the-less, I like all video game reviewers, except those that mock others.

I, myself, have been doing this for 3 months. Once I'm done school, I'll be famous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

/Critique warning/

Just like an art school doesn't make an artist, film school can't guarantee you'll become good at film making. You just have to have that something or work your ass off to become something. I can say that this isn't working for you right now. I find everything you say in your videos go in from the other ear and go out the other one. At times I can hear a bad remark, and I instantly facepalm. You've gotten better, but not very much so.

As honest advice I'd stay stop making videos for youtube for a while. Start filming little clips focusing on one subject at a time (or course variable, if you can explain about bananas seriously so that people like it, you could be improving). Study all kinds of reviewers and filmmakers, try to recognize their style and figure out what makes them awesome. Study filmmaking and all kinds of aspects of it (not just video game reviews, to make it you have to know a wide range of styles, even the nerd does other things). Find your own style, ask for honest opinions and don't throw a shitstorm whenever someone critiques you. Bawwing your eyes out while asking for so called critique (asspats) isnt going to help you one bit. You can always question critique of course, asking why and so on, but do it politely. Remember critique is meant to point out things that by fixing you can become better, so don't mistake it for insults like a 16 year old girl who draws anime.

Also saying you've been doing this for 3 months, and that you've been in film school for only a month is one of the the lamest excuses I've ever heard. Deviantart is full of whiny people like that and they're never going to make it, so stop making useless excuses and focus on making yourself better. Don't get a swelled head thinking you're the shit. Because there's always going to be someone better than you.

Just in my defense I'll say I deal with much more harsh critique on a weekly/daily basis. I'm aspiring to become a concept artist and that's why I don't fuck around making excuses, if there's something that sucks about my art I try to make it better. I deal with professionals at conceptart.org, you should try finding a community where you have peers from the same industry. Focus at school, do extra assignments and stuff like that, it's going to pay off in the long run.

/Critique end/
    Last edited by HYB; 10-22-2008 at 04:35 AM.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for the advice HYB. You are one of the only ones that actually gives very good constructive criticism. I always apply good advice to my work.

By the way, I just revised my Crash of the Titans review. It still needs one more touch up, though. Let me know if you think it's better than the older one. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJkwMTFODU

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

School is always better. How can it be the opposite?

Sticking feathers[film school] up your butt does not make you a chicken[filmmaker].

I've graduated from film school and have yet to be famous. Fame and education do not go hand in hand.

Thank you for the advice HYB. You are one of the only ones that actually gives very good constructive criticism. I always apply good advice to my work.
    That's pretty much what I was saying. But I'm way more of a dick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

By the way, I just revised my Crash of the Titans review. It still needs one more touch up, though. Let me know if you think it's better than the older one. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJkwMTFODU
    Honestly, aside from your voice and a few other things, I actually kind of liked it. You threw in some pretty good jokes (fox mccloud=fuck the cloud, oh man that was hilarious, the ballet reference etc). You had some valid points too. I'd suggest you'd try to steer clear from the avgn esque stuff, like trying to come up with long winded insults because that isn't working for you. Tone it down, it was funny enough in the beginning at some points. From a filmmaking point I'm not much help though, I'd still suggest a peer community, like a forum or something. Editing skills and such do come with practice and hard work. Also nice to know my critique IS appriciated because most people throw a huge shitstorm because I'm so angry and negative.

At least I could sit through the whole video this time. Keep it up.

That's pretty much what I was saying. But I'm way more of a dick.
    Yeah, I tried to tone my critique down to a civil level. At least I succeeded, usually I'm called mean and a horrible person because my comments are omg so meen my art is perfect etc.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Considering that the system launched in 1990 and was target-marketed in the US through VERY specific retailers and press ads (not to mention a ridiculously prohibitive price), it really shouldn't be a mark against anybody to have NOT owned one in 1990.

That aside, I have no idea where your assumption that James wouldn't have HEARD of a Neo-Geo back then. Even without the internet ... I think most gamers had HEARD of a or played with a Neo-Geo - if not the home system, the arcade unit at their local arcade.

I'll have to ask him if that's the case next time I see him.
    I donn't hold it against him if he didn't own one in 1990 or 1991. But the hardcore, older gamers, even the broke ones, heard about it through EGM before it was released and watched the story. Did James get 3-6 gaming mags a month in 1990? I did.

Not holding anything against him at all. I love all his videoes and he cracks me up unlike any of the others. I can also clearly see he studied video editing, as he's a master at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I am 20. You don't have to be born at the time of the games to know everything about them. AVGN and iRate Gamer know their stuff. If you consider making video game reviews yourself, than definitely go for it, and try your best, but it's a lot harder than it looks.

By the way, I know The Happy Console Gamer. He lives very close to me. Oh, and Mega Man Rob. He's awesome, too.
    AVGN knows his Nintendo NES mainstream stuff. But even on the NES, did he know what Color Dreams was in 1990? Did he know about the Nintendo/Tengen lawsuit when it happened? When he reviewes older 2600 games, I doubt he pulls them out of his basement. Didn't he also do an episode about the Vectrex? I find it extremely unlikely someone born in 1981 would own such a uique system like that in 1984.

Like I said, there are exceptions. You can be 20 and know the Odyssey II, Fairchild Channel F, and Commodore Vic 20 like the back of your hand. I hope you do.

All in all, you wanna know someone who knows their stuff? I can think of several people here who would be extremely qualified, especially the owner of this board. How about it, Joe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Don't forget, The Happy Console Gamer is a completely different type of video game reviewer. Comparing him to I, iRate Gamer, and AVGN, is like comparing apples to oranges. There are many types of reviewers out there, that fall into different categories. HCG is more of an improvising, nostalgic, kind of guy, that reviews good games, and what it was like, back in the days. He doesn't really rip into shitty games, like other reviewers, and that's why he's so different. All reviewers are different, but you can only really compare those with similar styles. Never-the-less, I like all video game reviewers, except those that mock others.

I, myself, have been doing this for 3 months. Once I'm done school, I'll be famous.
    When HCG reviews a classic, like Phantasy Star 1, he talks about how he played it for the first time in 1988, and I really like that.

I would like to see him review some crappy games, that might be fun with his knowledge.

I too like most of them, for different reasons. So far, AVGN is the funniest, and has the most professional videos. Irate Gamer is ok, the same type of reviewer. HVGN is pretty funny, decent reviews. HCG is great because he actually played the classics when they were new, which I look for the most. As for you, I will subscribe to your YouTube and check out more videoes. Best of luck.