Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

All those AVGN vloggers are unoriginal. They are all trying to be the Seanbaby of the youtube era, and his schtick got old quick. (And if you're too young to know who Seanbaby is, Google his name.)

As for SpooneyOne being unscripted, well, he still usually gives a good thought to what he will do before making his video (ok, maybe not in his latest "Let's Play Phantasmagoria 2" series, but usually, it's obvious that he does have a generally good idea where he's headed to). Otherwise, the length of his videos would vary a lot more than they do.

The Happy Console Gamer has great potential. He's less prepared than Spooney when he makes his videos, though, but you can still tell that he knows what he's talking about.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HYB View Post
    Honestly, aside from your voice and a few other things, I actually kind of liked it. You threw in some pretty good jokes (fox mccloud=fuck the cloud, oh man that was hilarious, the ballet reference etc). You had some valid points too. I'd suggest you'd try to steer clear from the avgn esque stuff, like trying to come up with long winded insults because that isn't working for you. Tone it down, it was funny enough in the beginning at some points. From a filmmaking point I'm not much help though, I'd still suggest a peer community, like a forum or something. Editing skills and such do come with practice and hard work. Also nice to know my critique IS appriciated because most people throw a huge shitstorm because I'm so angry and negative.

At least I could sit through the whole video this time. Keep it up.

Yeah, I tried to tone my critique down to a civil level. At least I succeeded, usually I'm called mean and a horrible person because my comments are omg so meen my art is perfect etc.
    Did you like it better than my old version? Also, what is wrong with my voice? Should I go back to the TMNT voice? Should I go back to the Sonic the Hedgehog voice? Was I too dull? Too angry? And what other things aside, should I fix? Thanks. Tell me as much as you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Happy Video Game Nerd's videos. Here's an example:

The Happy Video Game Nerd - Nightshade review (NES)

He's silly at times, but he isn't just trying to be over-the-top funny. His comments are insightful and he genuinely cares about the games he reviews.

Intelligent, in-depth game reviews like his will stand the test of time because they're interesting and helpful. Shallow, gimmicky, vulgar game reviews probably won't (other than the AVGN). Keep that in mind.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I adjusted my revised Crash of the Titans review, because the timing of the mojo scene needed major adjustments. Please check it out once it's finished uploading. I would also like to know if my newer version is better than my older one, and why, so I know how I'm improving. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

Quote Originally Posted by alexander4488 View Post
    Did you like it better than my old version? Also, what is wrong with my voice? Should I go back to the TMNT voice? Should I go back to the Sonic the Hedgehog voice? Was I too dull? Too angry? And what other things aside, should I fix? Thanks. Tell me as much as you can.
    Your voice echoes when you cut to yourself. Also the rhytmn of your speech is really weird, I think someone else can clarify this better (I think it has been mentioned before) because I'm not a native english speaker and can't explain it. Also I think your voice is a little too angry, like you were shouting half the time. Also try to take your time to speak, you speak a little too fast. Clips of you playing the games would also be nice. Also which version is better, well, the others can give more feedback I guess, some insults were better in the revised version, nice touches like the ballet music, but I liked the simplicity of the old one (like the tinkerbell joke, I liked it better on the old one). I also liked the long explainations of things in the old one, like how crash is strong enough to break a chain blah blah. Anyway, my two cents, now I gotta focus on my art finals instead of hanging out here.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, so I am at work and can't see these videos, but I started reading the posts, and have to say, whoever thinks that only people of age 30+ should review games is fooling themselves.

I first started playing games when I was around 5 or 6, and I am 26 now. Let's round that up to I started playing when I was 6, which means 20 years of gaming.

Apparently that makes me not qualified. Do I review games? Actually yes. I just don't blog about it.

Pretty much daily I have friends that ask me about games they should or shouldn't play, so I will e-mail them my own review or just give them a review off of the top of my head. Maybe I should find a 30 or 40 year old now so that they can write up a review everytime I need to send one out.

Age means nothing. How you present the information is what counts.

As for the people that just sit there and cuss for their reviews: maybe you should stop reviewing crappy games and review games you like. AVGN does crappy game reviews. Happy Nerd guy reviews games he likes to play.

We don't all like the same games, so reviewing games you love that maybe not everybody else does could help them see why it is such a fun game (I wrote a review of kabuki warriors on x-box for 1 of my friends because it is super fun).

We should either bump and old thread, or start a new one about reviewing games you love (no f'ing avgn stuff).

time for me to search, hurray!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I revised my atrocious Mario Kart review. Tell me if you like it better. I changed the tone of my voice. Better or worse? I also removed the bullshit and untruths.

NEW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qElhBE7B9Wk

OLD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8u1f...eature=related

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

The voice in your new one was better for the intro, but you cut from topic point to topic point so quickly after that, and it's so short, that it's all over the place.

I rate the original mario kart review a C and the new one a D+.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Kirby Review Coming Out Soon

My Kirby review is nearing completion and will be released shortly.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

oh noooooooooooooooo
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yes!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Inspired by the nerd" was all I needed to see. AVGN sucked bad enough. I'm not going to watch his imitators.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Octopod View Post
    "Inspired by the nerd" was all I needed to see. AVGN sucked bad enough. I'm not going to watch his imitators.
    Agree 100%.

If you have genuine directing or acting talent, you can find some other means to make yourself famous outside of YouTube.

It is just as bad as scum who live in their parents basement who throw up a sports blog on the internet, post complete rumors and have their garbage posts be referred to as genuine "news" by ESPN, SI, Fox Sports, etc.

I'm not as old as k8track but I have literally zero respect for people who have achieved a modicum of fame as the direct result of YouTube, reality tv and other venues which are little more than a sham.
    Last edited by bangtango; 06-11-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends if they deserve it like the AVGN but unlike Fred.
    Last edited by alexander4488; 06-11-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Octopod View Post
    Please force yourself to watch them anyway just this once. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexander4488 View Post
    Please force yourself to watch them anyway just this once. Thanks.
    So when's the new video? Best yet?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    So when's the new video? Best yet?
    I have many other projects I need to finish at VFS. When those are done, I will finish the Kirby review. Best yet? That's for all of you to decide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    matth35

All i can say is meh. You got some work to do on it but once you find your own you will be much better off.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Sticking feathers[film school] up your butt does not make you a chicken[filmmaker].

I've graduated from film school and have yet to be famous.

Fame and education do not go hand in hand.
    Agree with the last sentence. If your only desire in life is to achieve fame, the last thing you want to do is go to school or get a real job.

The best way to become moderately famous these days is to make it on a reality tv show (which almost guarantees you "work" forever on VH1), become a celebrity through YouTube or start up a popular web site.

It may only be 15 minutes of fame in some cases but it is still fame.

Aren't 2/3 of the people who start sites like MySpace, Facebook, etc. just dropouts anyway?

I've made it clear on this web site more times than I can count that I don't find the AVGN "funny" and that isn't because I don't "get" his humor. Because I do. I just don't like that style of humor.

The other thing is that he sells an awful lot of merchandise and presumably gets a little money for lending his name to events, services or products, all of it as a direct result of posting a few videos on YouTube.

I do give him credit for finding a niche and putting a lot of work into his videos. But unfortunately, AVGN's success deludes a lot of naive people into assuming they can easily do the same thing he did.