well, i finished my playchoice cab last night, and it's going on location soon.
also last night, i put a starting bid of AU$180 on a non-working night driver cab, unexpectedly, i won the auction, and picked up the cab this afternoon.
the board has a whole series of actual metal rails attached to it for power and ground, many of the points where they attached to the pcb were snapped, and after resoldering all of these, the game started first go, much to my relief. i guess this is where the term voltage (or ground) rail(s) came from!

anyway, the monitor works, but has an interesting fault like something is blocking the gun from firing at the far bottom left of the screen. theres no image distortion, the scanlines simply dont go onto that part of the screen. honestly that part doesnt look like it's touched by any gameplay objects, it's a very simple game.. ill probably just try to adjust the monitor so black is actually black, not grey, and then itll hopefully blend in and i can forget about it.

also the steering pcb is missing, and i've only found two places online which sells them (at least i actually found some!) and both are email order sites which look somewhat substandard, guess i dont have alot of choice though.

also none of the lights work, but theyre just flouros. (theres a uv flouro to illuminate the car, which is a sticker stuck on the monitor with fluorescent paint on it!)

i love vintage games, some of the ideas are incredibly obscure by comparison to modern ideas.

pics will come eventually..