Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Survey: Only 11% Don't Mind Paying Full Retail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Game Survey: Only 11% Don't Mind Paying Full Retail

This survey was taken to help better understand the buying habits of gamers in our evergrowing fragile(even more than it already is) economy. What's interesting is that only 11% said they don't mind paying full retail($59.99) for new games upon their initial release. That can only mean two things: that 11% doesn't have any common sense and the other 89% are as broke as me. Here are the results: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...-magid-/?biz=1

Now before everyone tries to knock me out like my name is Chuck Lidell and your name is Rashad Evans, let me clarify my earlier statement. The 11% who buy at full retail doesn't mean they don't have common sense--it just means they most likely have more disposable income than the rest of us. And the other 89%(of which I am a part of)are not neccasarily broke(although I really am)--it just means we are more cautious of how we spend our money. I love getting the lastest and greatest just as much as the next guy/girl, but financially I am not on a level to do that yet. And besides, check out my forum thread for all the good deals you can get when you are patient: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115238
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 09-09-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

the only time i find myself paying retail or above prices are on games that have been out of the retail market for quite some time. I'm sure a few of us on here can say the same. If its current or last gen ill pick it up used. If its a few gens old well then your really limited to how/what you pay for the item. Am I the only one who finds himself saying. This is kind of expensive but i've always wanted it and if i dont get it now its only going to cost more in the future.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Very nice article.

For me, I rather wait for a price drop. Not that I cannot afford it, I just can't justify paying $60 or so for a game, unless it is something I REALLY want.

Now if the game costs $30 or less, the probabilites are high that I will pick it up.

If not...I buy them used months later. I rather spend $60 on 6 games than on 1 game.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In the last year i've purchased maybe one game at its retail release. Most games simply aren't worth the high retail price of admission to me. Not when i can enjoy the same game 6 months down the line for 1/10th the price. Besides i have a backlog of games to play through that would keep me busy for years to come so its not like i'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next mediocre console FPS to hit store shelves.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    The 11% who buy at full retail doesn't mean they don't have common sense--it just means they most likely have more disposable income than the rest of us. And the other 89%(of which I am a part of)are not neccasarily broke(although I really am)--it just means we are more cautious of how we spend our money.
    Maybe. But it could be a volume thing. I actually used to buy more games new than I do now but I'm also buying more games in total. Some of that 11% might consist of people who buy maybe 3 games every 6 months.

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only buy a new game if it's something I want to play really bad and I've been waiting for it to come out forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

It depends on the title/developer/publisher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    In the last year i've purchased maybe one game at its retail release. Most games simply aren't worth the high retail price of admission to me.
    The last time I've purchased a game at full retail was Halo 2 way back in 2004and thats only because I had a $50 gift card to use toward my $5 preorder. Yes I'm a cheap bastard, but like MrSparkle, Kirby and others have said---why pay full price for something you can get 6-8 months later for atleast half price?

I got my copy of Call of Duty 4(I still don't have a 360 yet....another 3 weeks to go) about a month ago for $20 during Best Buy's summer clearance sale. And when I get my 360(something else I waited on purchasing to save money) next month I'll be able to enjoy it just as much as the people who got it on day one
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not all next-gen games debut at $59.99. Many great Wii games debut at $29.99 and $19.99. Do they count? If so, I buy plenty of games at full retail price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Not all next-gen games debut at $59.99. Many great Wii games debut at $29.99 and $19.99. Do they count? If so, I buy plenty of games at full retail price.

I think the survey was based primarily around the $59.99 full retail price of new 360 and PS3 games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

One part of the Wii that I'm loving. Octomania brand new for $9.99? I'm game. The last new game I bought was Blast Works for $19.99 minus $5 thanks to a discount coupon. These aren't exactly Mass Effect but it's nice to have that outlet for budget games. And, believe me when I say no way in hell would I have paid more than $15 for Octomania or more than $20 for Blast Works. I want to get Boom Blox but not for what it costs today. Of course, distinguishing the worthwhile budget games from the shovelware is a problem but that's a whole other can of worms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I want to get Boom Blox but not for what it costs today.
    I agree about Boom Blox. I'd buy it for $25...maybe even $30...but not $50.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    distinguishing the worthwhile budget games from the shovelware is a problem
    Not for people who visit web sites like Gamestats.com or Metacritic.com.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I, like probably most of you, decide if I want to buy the game at launch based on how much I want the game. Galaxy was an instant buy and I couldn't wait another day for it. Some games such as MGS4 I buy an entire system for. At the moment the only game I'm really looking forward to is little big planet. That I will be buying at launch.

With all that said however, I am a frequent member at cheapassgamer and will always try to find deals whenever I can. No reason to spend money just to spend it, right?

Insert Coin (Level 0) animesuperj's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't buy at fullprice because I get a discount. Also cause most of the new games suck, and I don't want to pay $60 for a game that I'll play for 10 minutes. I will if it's actually worth it (as other people have said). Mainly, unless I really, really want the game or I doubt I'll ever see it again; I'll wait a month for a used copy to come in at a lower price. It's not worth it with how many bad games (imo) have been coming out lately. Although, this christmas season seems to be pretty good. I dunno, I just have been buying older titles (SNES) recently cause I haven't been as interested in next gen games as of late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Not for people who visit web sites like Gamestats.com or Metacritic.com.
    Touché. Though with few exceptions the entire console's library looks like a sea of shovelware and I want to be lazy enough where I can look at the box and know whether I'd like it or not. Is that too much to ask? What is the world coming to?

Insert Coin (Level 0) DiabolicalAdvocate's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's a game that I'm dying to sink my teeth into, I'll buy it on release day. I'll even pre-order/pay for them well in advance.

I've gotten more patient, but that wasn't always the case. Here's my list of first-day purchases I've made this gen:

Assassins Creed
    Bioshock
    COD 4
    Conan
    Condemned 2
    Dark Sector
    Devil May Cry 4
    F.E.A.R(PS3)
    Folklore
    Gears of War
    Heavenly Sword
    Kane and Lynch
    Lost Odyssey
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Mass Effect
    MGS 4 Limited Edition (X2)
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma Collector's Edition (X2)
    Orange Box
    Oblivion
    Rainbow Six Vegas
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    Resistance
    Uncharted

A number of these purchases I regret, most I don't. The ones I really regret are not those that have dropped in price, but the ones that have sat on my shelf collecting dust since I got them. And I still own all of them except for Kane and Lynch and Oblivion. The NGS collectors editions and one of the MGS 4 limited editions were purchased to sell or trade(to other collectors) at a later date, and the NGS CE's aren't easy to find, so no regrets there.

Part of the fun I have with this hobby is playing games when they first come out. I also HATE used games. It's not economical, but to me this is the cost of consumption. It's like choosing to eat at a more "upscale" restaurant vs. eating at McDonalds; both will get you fed, but the experience isn't the same.

That being said, I have learned to be more patient and more selective, but I will never stop buying games at launch completely, unless I get out of this hobby all together.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

First I visit all the deals sites around the time of a games release. If I can find a way to save $10 or more I'm more likely to buy the game. I do not trade my games in like many who pay full price do so I am more interested in those deals.

Now the big games - Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 2, et. I will pay full price for. I think Metal Gear Solid 4 was the last game I paid full price for.

Now from September until the end of November I tend to buy 5-10 games at f3ull price, more if they are below $59.99. If I find a couple of games for $49.99 instead of $59.99 I have $20 to put toward a new game.

Anyways I have 10 games preordered at Gamestop and will likely add a couple more because of release dates being pushed back. I put a little money on these games every now and then so that when they are released I only have to spend about half of their full price in a given week. It's a sort of budgeting, but it is crucial that I pick the games correctly, the previews of many games are much better than some of the games.

Unfortunately the Limited Editions are the hard spot for me. What makes them worth it? Bioshock is the only one I have bought at full price, I bought the PC version. Have you noticed that the PC versions of games are almost always $10 less, and that they are graphically superior? Too bad there aren't more of them...anyways I have Fable II and Resistance 2 preordered as Limited Editions...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually buy only the must have games at full price like for Silent Hill: Homecoming as I been waiting for that to release for awhile now, it will be a day 1 for sure...like yes I've bought a ton at full price this gen but am doing better with waiting for some to get lower in price like I did for Conan, Viking, Dark Sector and a few more.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I tend to only buy new/full retail titles for companies / games I wish to support. Like when previously Japanese-Exclusive 360 games I wanted come over, I buy them full price. I went out of my way to pay full retail for EDF when I could have bought it at half the price because I want to see D3 make money so they can continue localizing games I enjoy. Voting with my dollar I suppose.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

From what I can tell, they asked 452 people this question: "if more games for next-gen consoles were priced at 59.99, which of the following would be true"

The results, therefore, are misleading if you're trying to start a fresh rant about the price of games these days.

First of all, based on my experience reading and posting on this site for a few years, nobody likes admitting they pay full price for *anything,* let alone new releases. It's like a badge of pride when you get a deal. Assuming that website is similar, I'd *expect* to see the number of people okay with 59.99 to be lower than I would if I had a true random sample.

Second of all, the question is asking what people would think of if MORE games were priced higher. They are asking people what they would think if new games like the upcoming Viva Pinata sequel started creeping up to 59.99, not what people think about spending 59.99 on, say, Gears of War 2 which comes out in an environment where you have options.
    Last edited by Nature Boy; 09-10-2008 at 02:22 PM.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end