Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sealed Games....what is the point?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Why starting replying to a 2 years old topic? lol
    Probably cause all the mods have gone lock happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm one of those people that collect sealed games, but im sorta different. I will NOT buy a sealed game on ebay, or probally even a sealed retero game if i find it in a flea market, with a few exceptions of course. However when i go sale hunting and I find a PS2 game at TRU for 5-10 USD I'll buy it and add it to my sealed game collection. Right now I have probally 50-60 sealed games. I just don't know how people can't grasp why people collect them, even if they don't collect them themselves. Do you not understand why people collect unopening action figures? They can't play with them. Its the same with games. Why do people have such a hard time understanding that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    I'm one of those people that collect sealed games, but im sorta different. I will NOT buy a sealed game on ebay, or probally even a sealed retero game if i find it in a flea market, with a few exceptions of course. However when i go sale hunting and I find a PS2 game at TRU for 5-10 USD I'll buy it and add it to my sealed game collection. Right now I have probally 50-60 sealed games. I just don't know how people can't grasp why people collect them, even if they don't collect them themselves. Do you not understand why people collect unopening action figures? They can't play with them. Its the same with games. Why do people have such a hard time understanding that?
    Good words there! I totally forgot all about action figures (Ie, vintage Star Wars ones which I know at least one person here has a complete collection of MISB ones...)

I am trying to get a complete set of sealed PAL Dreamy games, as I figured any old Joe can get a complete set - So I decided to set myself a better target - Hence why I want a complete sealed set!

All the games I buy, even if I am going to open to play, must be sealed. PS2 / Xbox / Cube - Whatever. All sealed. But as I seem to be at work a lot these days earning teh cash to add games to my collection, I don't seem to have a lot of spare time on my hands to play - Therefore they stay sealed and I know that they are still going to be in perfect condition for a long time to come.

My friends and family also can't grasp the whole concept of keeping them sealed, even after I have explained many a time that if I wanted to play that particular game, then all I need to do is borrow it from someone.

Think of how many thousands and even millions of each game get produced - Why should I add my copy to the statistics of open used games which are out there? I may as well keep it sealed and know that it is one of a much fewer number, and track down another one if I feel the need to play. Chances are that someone I know will also have that particular game which I could borrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heck, I open everything I buy - wether it is collectable or not. I buy it because I want it -to use or display. I will not buy things just to pack them away in hiding. What's the point in that... When I'm dead, it'll just be old junk in a box then.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX
    I don't see a point in sealed games. Let's say you bought a sealed copy of "Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow", "Mega Man Battle Network", or "Super Mario 64", and stick it on a shelf, What good does it do? A paperweaght with Mario on it? A doorstop with Lan and Mega Man on it? A bookend with Soma on it? What's the point if you are not going to play it? If you stick it on a shelf, then you will not get to enjoy exploring Dracula's castle, stareing at Mayl- er, Saving the world from Dr. Wily, or Rescueing Peach from Bowser!

If you don't plan on playing the game, then don't buy it!
    You obviously don't understand the joy in working toward complete game collections.

I have a goal to play every NES game one of these days, I will work toward that goal once I complete the collection, but I have a complete Game.Com collection that I have no interest in touching. Does that make me a bad guy?
    No

I guess you could say I'm one of a rare type of collector, I
    only buy games that I like or want to try. Sometimes I buy
    games that I don't like to take into
    Gamestop\Game-X-Change for credits (So I can get more
    Mega Man and Zelda stuff!)

At one point, I was going to try to get every Beanie Baby avalable, but I did not want to spend $100+ for a little toy.
    Then I was going to get all the NES games, but then I would have to buy Barbie, Hydlite, Waily Bear and the NO! Gang, and Duck Tales (Ack!). Plus spending $1,000+ on Statum Events and an NWC Gold Cart, it was too much!

That's why I now only buy games I like\want to try!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX
    Duck Tales (Ack!)!
    Have you played Duck Tales?

It's one of the top 10 NES games, it's awesome.

If you disagree, you're wrong.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty much with you on this, but everyone is a collector no matter how quirky the thing and i guess some people like it wrapped up

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While this horse has been beaten pretty thoroughly, I'd like to toss out an additional question in line with the topic:

Do any of you buy sealed games with the aim of holding them as an investment? I suppose "speculating" would be the term here. I mean, sure, that NBA 2005 isn't going to appreciate any, but I've seen posts from a number of people saying that they have a sealed Steel Battalion gathering dust.

And with regard to Steel Battalion in particular, what do you all think will be its value, sealed, five years from now?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    Do any of you buy sealed games with the aim of holding them as an investment?
    I do, but only if I can find the game for 5 to 10 dollars. Anything IMO else would be overkill and defeat the purpose.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While this horse has been beaten pretty thoroughly, I'd like to toss out an additional question in line with the topic:

Do any of you buy sealed games with the aim of holding them as an investment? I suppose "speculating" would be the term here. I mean, sure, that NBA 2005 isn't going to appreciate any, but I've seen posts from a number of people saying that they have a sealed Steel Battalion gathering dust.

And with regard to Steel Battalion in particular, what do you all think will be its value, sealed, five years from now?
    well, I think the value of my sealed games will go up over time, but if it doesn't I don't care. Either way, I'll love my collection and if they stay cheap I can buy more

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In general, I just want to agree with some of the comments made above. For me, having sealed games is just about having that perfect copy of that game that loved back when you were a kid ..owning something that really, by rights, shouldn't exist. They should've been sold and opened by now and every survivor is worthy of being cherised

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintracker
    Recently I've aquired a 'semi-sealed' nes game. The seal was open at the top so the game could still be accessible, and even it was still in the original baggie with all documents. I personally think it's a great idea. The seal is still around the box so it won't run the risk of damage, but I can still play the game whenever I want.

That actually reminded me of a question i've been meaning to ask for awhile now about sealed games. See, I also have a couple "sealed" NES games that for the most part look to have never been opened or played. However, there are some minor rips or tears in the plastic in places that I assume would decrease the value somewhat if I ever decided to sell them. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if a sealed game isn't completely sealed or has ware could it still sell for a good profit. I'm just asking because I would rather just sell them off for profit, then to just leave them there collecting dust.
    values sealed games are still affecting by condition. A "mint" sealed game will bring more than a "worn" one.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

double post. To all the detractors, I have to say this though - doesn't a truly mint sealed copy of a game look freaking awesome. I mean, put a ragged, f*d up (even complete) copy of a game next to a mint sealed one - there's no comparison.

And seeing a nice rare game sealed - nothing like it.

Check out the recent addition

http://www3.telus.net/online/dans_au...ds/hsfront.JPG

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If I happen to find something sealed I want for one my collections I'll go for it long as I can get it as a decent price. Only sealed game in my collection sis the River Raid II I got last week.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    Recently I've aquired a 'semi-sealed' nes game. The seal was open at the top so the game could still be accessible, and even it was still in the original baggie with all documents. I personally think it's a great idea. The seal is still around the box so it won't run the risk of damage, but I can still play the game whenever I want.

That actually reminded me of a question i've been meaning to ask for awhile now about sealed games. See, I also have a couple "sealed" NES games that for the most part look to have never been opened or played. However, there are some minor rips or tears in the plastic in places that I assume would decrease the value somewhat if I ever decided to sell them. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if a sealed game isn't completely sealed or has ware could it still sell for a good profit. I'm just asking because I would rather just sell them off for profit, then to just leave them there collecting dust.
    values sealed games are still affecting by condition. A "mint" sealed game will bring more than a "worn" one.

How much more do you think? It's nothing major really, but there are some rips.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much more do you think? It's nothing major really, but there are some rips.
    It's hard to say. there are a lot of factors involved including the rarity/desirability of the game. If we consider 9/10 condition standard, a 10/10 might bring 25% more, a 8/10 20% less than a 9/10, a 7/10 maybe 30% less. But it's all variable. It could get just as much as a 9/10 or less, or whatever. But as general guidelines, I'd go with that, when it comes to NES anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, I do that in a roundabout sort of way. As I buy the games I want, but have no time to play them at the moment, they stay sealed, and a majority of the games I buy (Mostly RPG's) will no doubt become rare or sought after in the future.

And yes, I have two Steel Battalions - One of which has not been used. I bought two because I am pretty certain that they will increase in value as soon as the console is announced dead.

And as the new Xbox will probably be backwards compatable, there will still be a market for it...

And in terms of things going up in value - Just look at all those people who kept NES games sealed - Just look at how much they go up to on eBay! Same with N64 games...

Think how much a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga goes for, and the same for a few PSone games like Final Fantasy VII / Valkyrie Profile / Star Ocean II / Persona II Etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As time goes on I see less and less reason to buy sealed games. Pirates ruin everything.

I even don't care so much about disc condition as I used to, since it's proving to be pretty hard to keep them in good enough shape (thank goodness I can burn *some* discs, though, for the Sega CD-era consoles...will have to try that out).

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I have a complete Game.Com collection that I have no interest in touching. Does that make me a bad guy?
    Obviously doesn't villify you, but I would assume most people who buy sealed games at least started off with a passion for that particular system, genre or game.

Why did you buy the game.com? Because everyone said it would flop and become a rarity? Because you have the collecting bug so bad you'll buy just about anything? It just seems to me if you're going to buy a system, enjoy something about it. Maybe you like one game, or none at all but appreciate the systems role in the history of portable gaming. Then keep everything sealed if you must, but to buy a system and it's entire library despite the fact you think they suck, to just mark another few tallys on your collection list just seems so cold.

And obviously you just own a game.com which in 20 years will still be garbage so it's not a huge deal. But that's what bugs me about most sealed "traders", the gold diggers who couldn't care less about the games themselves, the kinda of people that find a sealed game and little money signs begin to dance around their heads. It just seems to me if you're going to collect games as purely an investment play the stock market instead. You'd probably make more and wouldn't continue to drive up the prices for the rest of us who would honestly enjoy that game whether it be sitting on a shelf looking minty or playing it on tv.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

double post. To all the detractors, I have to say this though - doesn't a truly mint sealed copy of a game look freaking awesome. I mean, put a ragged, f*d up (even complete) copy of a game next to a mint sealed one - there's no comparison.

And seeing a nice rare game sealed - nothing like it.

Check out the recent addition

http://www3.telus.net/online/dans_au...ds/hsfront.JPG
    It's interesting to see you go from one post talking about how stupid it is to display a collection to another where you talk about how awesome seeing sealed games is. If it is so awesome, then why don't you at least have them somewhere to look at?

I get the mint thing, I get the wanting it perfect... but I guess I still don't get having all these 'perfect' games shoved away in boxes.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333