Thread: If there is something you could change about nextgen gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default If there is something you could change about nextgen gaming

I would love to hear from my fellow gamers about the current direction of gaming. I personally have mixed feelings of the new generation of video games. I am an avid atari collector as well as gaming in general. I currently own all the new systems as well as 30 "previous" systems. How can the nextgen gaming be changed????

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default m

Personally, my favorite generations in gaming was with Genesis and Saturn, 16 and 32 bit days....how much more can consoles possibly progress?? if they stopped with what they have now id be happy...if sony dropped off the earth id be happy, the good old days when it was sega and nintendo duking it out, if they went back to making masses of new games for genesis, snes, and whatever id buy them, x-box can stay, personally right now its my favorite system because it reminds me so much of sega. Well I'm done ranting :/

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best change would be to stop the 3D fixation.

Sure, it's nice for some games, but I wish some companies had the guts to make a game 2D that would obviously be better off that way (*coughsuikodenIIIcough*). Some very impressive things would be done for a sidescroller with today's hardware.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Online gaming has to go. Yeah, I know, a ton of you probably love it, but from a collectors standpoint, what good will Phantasy Star Online be for the 'Box in a few years??? I mean, all of these games will have parts of them that won't even be asscessible in a few years. Yuck.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The best change would be to implement USB and forget all that proprietary crap for controller plugs, devices, etc. etc. but nooooooooo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to see a return to a focus on gameplay OVER graphics. Frankly, much as 3D is neat, it seems like the designers focus more on design than on play mechanics and gameplay. Sure, the games are pretty, but where's the fun factor? I can't just pick up and play games as easily with the new generation as I could with the old.

Also, for RPGs....STOP REDESIGNING THE INTERFACES!!!! I'm so bloody tired of having to learn entirely new and "novel" battle systems every time I try a new RPG! They also need to learn that "100 hours of gameplay" doesn't make a game any more fun than 20 hours of gameplay. Tedious item collection in games is disgustingly rampant, especially in the side-quest ridden RPG genre.

Expense is also bad. Memory cards for PS2...double the price for PS1? Why? Controllers...more expensive, hardware, less reliable. how often did you buy a new SNES or Genesis and have it break down? Not too all fired often!

Finally...3D cameras. Someone needs to go to MS, Nintendo, and Sony, and FORCE them to not release games if they have crappy cameras. Games with bad cameras should not be allowed to hit the market at all..it's pathetic!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with all that's been said here, but I also think that they need to get simpler. Look at the bloody PS2 and Xbox controllers! It's all unnecessary. I think a joystick needs four buttons maximum... not ten! I hate the fact that if someone comes over to my place, they can't just pick up the controller and play like in the old days. I've got to teach them the controls, the combos and everything. Games these days are all over-done.

Gameplay will have to come back around sooner or later. Look at the games now, we've pretty much hit a graphical limit haven't we? They look pretty damn real to me. So, soon enough, the companies are going to have to start thinking about making the game more fun again.

I really dislike the online play. It is going to kill collecting for me. All of the MMORPGs are going to be useless once they cut the server. There is a possiblity that someone brings out a program to host a server on future technology so that older games can be played, but it is highly doubtful and very speculative. I have yet to buy an online-only game just because I don't want to support them, and don't plan on buying any in the future either.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More 2D games.

More fighters online.

That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The world needs more high-resolution 2D games.

3D is fine too, but there needs to be some semblance of balance.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I have to agree with gameplay over graphics. Seems like back in the day when graphics were limited, designers had to be creative with the gameplay to draw gamers in. Not to say that there weren't turds released back then too, but it seems like the level of gameplay was just higher then. There was no such thing as an "interactive movie" type of game (laserdisc arcade games aside.)

Too many games just seem to be built more on wowing you with graphics than wowing you with gameplay. And saddly that seems to be how gamers today like it.

Realy 2D gaming on current consoles needs to happen. Not SNES ports on the GBA, I'm talking full on 128 bit 2D. There have been some stunners in the area of shmups (check Ikaruga and DoDonPachi 3) but we need more in other generas too (and Capcom arcade ports don't count, even though their NAOMI based games look pretty good.) I wanna see 2D maddness pushing these supposedly more powerful consoles to the limit.

I'd also really like to see a return to scores in games. Too many games are just a rush to the end or to collect things. Well, any monkey with enough time (and a walk through perhaps) can make it to the end and collect all the baubles. I still say the only way to really gauge your skill on a game is through score.

I'd like to see a return of hard (not cheap) games. It seems like too many games pander these days. Trying to make everyone feel like a winner. Well, there's tons of NES era games I never beat and my psyche is doing ok with that. These games didn't let you save every five steps and really put up a challenge. You had to earn the ending, not just put in the hours.

I'd like to see an end to "treasure hunt" type games. So called 3D platformers seem to be the worst offender. Games where you're running aroung rubbing up against everything and breaking everything to try and collect all the stars, hearts, and anything else that appears ina box of Lucky Charms. In fact, I'd like to make a rule that if it's in a box of Lucky Charms, it can't appear in a game.

Mindless beat em ups need to make a comeback. Did Double Dragon even have a story? I don't think I ever looked at the manual for Streets of Rage. I want a return to games where you're just walking around kicking ass and it doesn't even matter why. No cutscenes. No convoluted story line. Just ass kicking.

And the 60+ hour game has got to go. Maybe if I was unemployed or 13 years old that would be cool, but part of the reason I stick to the old is I know most of those games were designed to be beaten in one sitting. Games today are like having a second job and that's not fun at all.

Yeah, and I'm hoping the GC release of Ikaruga sells through the roof so maybe someone else (NOT XS GAMES!!!!) will bring over more shmups. I can think of at least one that's better than Iky, just waiting for someone to give it a ride across the ocean and I know there's a couple more on the way.

(Yeah, I know I'm dreaming...)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A system developed for hi-res 2D platform games, and vert/horiz shooters!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally if I had my way the next generation of gaming wouldn't come for about 10 more years. I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting tired of being expected to buy the same games over and over and over again on every new console out.

Quite honestly, I'm more than satisfied with the current quality of graphics and sound effects. In fact, many of today's games are already too much flash and not enough quality game.

In my opinion the more horsepower that's available just makes it that much easier for developers to get lazy when they make new games. I'll bet that if they didn't come out with a new console for 10 years they would still find new ways of making the games look and sound better anyways through hard work and better programming. So why bother upgrading?

Oh, and I wrote this before rerading all of the current replies. Looks like mine is a common answer to the question.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Online gaming has to go? Ugh, what a stupid idea. Don't you buy games for entertainment? How much more entertaining do games get than when you get a group of friends over yelling and screaming at eachother with big huge grins. That's the best fun, and thats why I always go back to CounterStrike. It may not be the best online FPS, but I know the game, I know the people, and it's a fun as hell pick up and play for 10 minutes game. Online is the wave of the future, and it will only make any multiplayer game 100x better.

One thing I would like to see come back are the great multiplayer days of N64. The New Tetris, Goldeneye, even Perfect Dark... I spent years playing these games with my buddies and it was always a good time. Now we've got MVC2 and that's about it on consoles. I've got a slew of online games I lan with my buddies all the time but the consoles have some serious ground to cover in terms of modern multiplayer.

More 2D would be great. Of course I'm talking about Symphony of the Night... the perfect example of a modern 2D game that just rocks your damn socks off. Well, not so modern now, but still an incredibly great game by any standard... 3D models for next castlevania? Lovely. 3D Gameplay? Dammit. Not saying that it can't be a good game, but come on. Castlevania with the power of PS2 and the gameplay of SotN... I've actually had dreams about it.[/i]

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where was everyone when I was complaining about the new Castlevania going 3-D?!? I just think that it was one of the few series that actually had a chance staying 2-D.

BTW, I hope that everyone here who loves 2-D has pre-ordered Viewtiful Joe then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Online gaming has to go? Ugh, what a stupid idea. Don't you buy games for entertainment? How much more entertaining do games get than when you get a group of friends over yelling and screaming at eachother with big huge grins.
    this sounds like multi-player gaming and not online gaming to me. With online gaming you wouldn't have any friends over.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    I really dislike the online play. It is going to kill collecting for me. All of the MMORPGs are going to be useless once they cut the server. There is a possiblity that someone brings out a program to host a server on future technology so that older games can be played, but it is highly doubtful and very speculative. I have yet to buy an online-only game just because I don't want to support them, and don't plan on buying any in the future either.
    Once they cut the server for an online game, then you SELL THE GAME. New concept I know, but it works.

Anyone who has the capabilities to play online games and isn't, is really missing out. Competition is good.

edit: haha, I guess you probably won't get much for an online only game that has no server anymore. Next time I'll think before I post. Still online games are great fun if you have a broadband connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It will NEVER happen, but as mentioned above, USB controller ports! Man! That would be schweeeet!

Unlike most consolers, I'm from The PC gaming camp, and am rediscovering my roots, collecting the console classics. I've spent hours and hours and hours playing online... with my computer. I loved all the Quakes, and got quite good online (and have the carpal tunnel to prove it). In my opinion, online gaming is best done on PC's, especially if you have multiple comps on a LAN, and broadband. I have all that, and have ZERO interest in online console play. PC does it so much better with free, privately run servers in many cases. Find one with low lag, and away you go. And with PC games like that, like the Quake games, I can still hop on a server and play quake 1 if I want to. In my opinion, a console online is more trouble than it's worth. Also, I really dislike the way MS scans your hardware, when you are online. It's an ingenious anti piracy tool, and I applaud the effort. Nevertheless, I see it as a privacy issue, and if I have to agree to drop my drawers to connect, and pay to do it, and in addition they can yank service (or stop supporting the game) anytime they want, No Thanks.

Just my opinion. I'm sure the future is bright for online console play, but I won't be a major player there. Once you've had the freedom of online PC play, what the consoles offer seems lacklustre, and a little scary, as those proprietary protections relay whatever info the company wants, back to them. :/
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Online gaming has to go? Ugh, what a stupid idea. Don't you buy games for entertainment? How much more entertaining do games get than when you get a group of friends over yelling and screaming at eachother with big huge grins. That's the best fun, and thats why I always go back to CounterStrike. It may not be the best online FPS, but I know the game, I know the people, and it's a fun as hell pick up and play for 10 minutes game. Online is the wave of the future, and it will only make any multiplayer game 100x better.

More 2D would be great. Of course I'm talking about Symphony of the Night... the perfect example of a modern 2D game that just rocks your damn socks off. Well, not so modern now, but still an incredibly great game by any standard... 3D models for next castlevania? Lovely. 3D Gameplay? Dammit. Not saying that it can't be a good game, but come on. Castlevania with the power of PS2 and the gameplay of SotN... I've actually had dreams about it.[/i]
    I totally disagree with this. I know a lot of people enjoy online gaming, but a LOT of people, myself included hate it too. Sure, it's kinda fun on PC occasionally, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay for the privilege to play online, then wire my system up thru the DSL or whatever. Too much hassle, too few people I'd WANT to play with. I tried PSO on DC...hated it. Tried FPS games online....hated it. The only games I've ever logged serious time on online are Worms 2 and Doom, and Doom was direct dial up against friends, not online online. Not everyone has people they WANT to play games against, and frankly that's great for some people..but don't assume everyone wants that. Moving to online gaming cuts down on innovation in exchange for new and improved server research. Has PSO really evolved in the years it's been around? is there anything REALLY more involving about it? Does it have a PLOT yet? If I could play a GOOD online game with a plot...that might change my mind. But I don't want to deal with all the putzs I meet in EB again online when I'm relaxing and gaming.

As for 2D gaming, Symphony of the Night is exactly what I DON'T want to see more of. Not the graphics...cause those were stunning, but the gameplay. It was, in a word, tedious. Walk all over back and forth explore explore explore, find items level up, fight the same guys in the same patterns over and over again. It was BORING. There were high points, sure, but all in all, it dragged and dragged. I want games like Kid Icarus or Bionic Commando or Shadowrun or Rock N Roll Raciing remade in 2D with 3D models! Cause like it or not, there wasn't a whole lot of challenge in SOTN. It was EASY. Easiest Castlevania there is, after Super Castlevania IV. That's a mistake I DON'T want to see when 2D comes back. Give me Ikaruga. Give me Contra Hard Corps. Give me Blaster Master (not that awful PSX one! *shiver*). But don't give me EASY!

Oh..butta? I like to KEEP the games I buy. I don't WANT to have to sell them, or not be able to come back to them in 10 years if I suddenly want to. That's what we're going to lose with online gaming...long term replay value.

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    It will NEVER happen, but as mentioned above, USB controller ports! Man! That would be schweeeet!
    I'm fairly certain the XBox, GC, and PS2 all have USB controller ports already. They just have proprietary male and female connectors. They still use USB for the connection. Anyone know if that's the case for sure?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I agree with all the above points especially on gameplay over graphics and 3D games. Also more ORIGINIAL games and less cookie-cutter titles flooding the markets.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Oh..butta? I like to KEEP the games I buy. I don't WANT to have to sell them, or not be able to come back to them in 10 years if I suddenly want to. That's what we're going to lose with online gaming...long term replay value.
    Well that's where we differ. Certain games after I totally finish the game, I sell them if I can still get a good chunk of change for it. If for some reason I want to play it 10 years later, I can buy it again. Look at this way. You buy a new game for 50 bucks. You finish it within a few weeks, and sell it for 30-35. Then a few years down the road, you can buy the game again for 10-15 bucks, in most cases.

As for losing long term replay value, I think that's only true with the MMORPG's. CvS2 for the xbox will have the same replay value as it's DC or PS2 counterpart's long after the servers are shut down.

Auto Modellista and Turismo online, whenever that comes out, won't lose replay value either. It's only the games that are directed at online play only, and I really don't give a shit about those anyways.