Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man 9 Retro Promo... so awesome!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It's to prevent someone without the invite from buying it. The code they give on the Capcom site PM takes 97% off.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    It's to prevent someone without the invite from buying it. The code they give on the Capcom site PM takes 97% off.
    I'm pretty sure several people on the boards will flip the thing on eBay anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I'm pretty sure several people on the boards will flip the thing on eBay anyway.
    Yep.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mega-Man-9-limited-edition-launch-pack-press-kit_W0QQitemZ120312829580QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 20312829580&_trkparms=72%3A570|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A 12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Yep.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mega-Man-9-limited-edition-launch-pack-press-kit_W0QQitemZ120312829580QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 20312829580&_trkparms=72%3A570|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A 12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    Sorry, but that's bullshit. If Capcom had made 5,000 and either offered them for a small fee or extended an offer to the first group who bought the game, more people could've enjoyed it. There's no way Capcom didn't know that people would be making money hand over fist off this thing.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember, they're destroying original NES carts to make these things... i'm not sure how many you want them to make

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this really isn't as cool as it might first seem and I bet it won't be worth more than 100 bucks or so in the next couple years. it is not even close to as cool as the metal gear solid 3 limited edition, and that only sells for around 150 for an opened copy and it includes a game and can be considered part of the ps2 canon. all this is is a funky piece of swag.
    Last edited by backguard; 10-02-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    this really isn't as cool as it might first seem and I bet it won't be worth more than 100 bucks or so in the next couple years. it is not even close to as cool as the metal gear solid 3 limited edition, and that only sells for around 150 for an opened copy and it includes a game and can be considered part of the ps2 canon. all this is is a funky piece of swag.
    I don't think either this or the Metal Gear Solid 3 LE are worth getting worked up over. Ultimately, this is a cool little piece that will gather dust on your shelf. The MGS3 LE contains a DVD you will play once and never watch again. Both are pretty worthless and needlessly expensive for what they are.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Sorry, but that's bullshit. If Capcom had made 5,000 and either offered them for a small fee or extended an offer to the first group who bought the game, more people could've enjoyed it. There's no way Capcom didn't know that people would be making money hand over fist off this thing.
    They're actually being extremely fair. In fact, they're being as fair as they possibly can. The ones they're selling on their site haven't shipped yet. So whatever ones are on Ebay are probably ones given out earlier to members of the press. What they're doing on the site is offering first dibs to people they deem worthy through either tenure on the site or other factors. It actually probably will minimize the Ebay flipping as much as possible as the majority of people who are given the first dibs want this for keeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't think either this or the Metal Gear Solid 3 LE are worth getting worked up over. Ultimately, this is a cool little piece that will gather dust on your shelf. The MGS3 LE contains a DVD you will play once and never watch again. Both are pretty worthless and needlessly expensive for what they are.
    Oh, I think it's worth getting worked up over. It's the closest thing to a physical copy of Mega Man 9 there will ever be.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I saw your long post on the Unity boards about wanting a promo Tony heh... still, luck of the draw if they do make some generally available in the store.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    They're actually being extremely fair. In fact, they're being as fair as they possibly can. The ones they're selling on their site haven't shipped yet. So whatever ones are on Ebay are probably ones given out earlier to members of the press. What they're doing on the site is offering first dibs to people they deem worthy through either tenure on the site or other factors. It actually probably will minimize the Ebay flipping as much as possible as the majority of people who are given the first dibs want this for keeps.

Oh, I think it's worth getting worked up over. It's the closest thing to a physical copy of Mega Man 9 there will ever be.
    But the thing is, it's not. It's a NES cartridge shell made into a box for a press CD-rom in a comedically fake cardboard box. It really has no more to do with the game itself than a promo poster or a T-shirt. Ultimately, they're not giving you a code for the game or a copy of the game itself. As such, it's just another promo item, albeit a cool, clever one, but not anything that gives you the sense that you own the game. If they had pressed 10K copies of the game to an Xbox or Wii disc and then created NES like packaging, they could have sold those for a much higher profit margin than what they're doing here and made a lot of people happy. Nobody really wants a press asset CD and they could have easily pressed fake NES shells using a mold and plastic. In fact, I recall buying candy in a fake NES cart shell way back in the 80s when the NES was all the rage. Surely, they can do the same thing here.

If anything, this proves that there is still a large segment of the market that wants to own physical copies of these games with packaging materials and will pay dearly to do so. I wish Capcom and others would get the hint and actually start making money from our desires.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I know it's not the same as the real thing, but for novelty's sake - if anybody has a high-rez scan of the promo art, I'll be willing to make "mock up" NES carts with high-gloss labels for whoever wants them.

I can't really do a full box, but I can do very high quality NES cart labels on glossy paper.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I know it's not the same as the real thing, but for novelty's sake - if anybody has a high-rez scan of the promo art, I'll be willing to make "mock up" NES carts with high-gloss labels for whoever wants them.

I can't really do a full box, but I can do very high quality NES cart labels on glossy paper.
    How much? I'd like one.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    How much? I'd like one.
    Well, I'd need a scan of the actual cartridge label ... I've checked the web and the graphics that are up right now are sub-par.

I certainly wouldn't want to profit off of this.

If anybody wanted to send me an NES donor cart, and enough to cover 1 or 2 glossy printouts (in case there's some type of problem with the 1st print) and return packing postage I'll do it at cost.

So, If anybody knows anybody who gets one of these, get them to scan the label and we're in business.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got one! I got one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one! I got one!
    How much do you want for it? $100? $200? How about apendages? An arm? A leg?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Nice work Tony... a handout from Unity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    How much do you want for it? $100? $200? How about apendages? An arm? A leg?
    Women will be fine. And pogs. Lots and lots of pogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Nice work Tony... a handout from Unity?
    You know it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am very disappointed in Capcom for the intentional short supply. No matter though, I am just going to have a friend with a vinyl printer make the cart for me.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Women will be fine. And pogs. Lots and lots of pogs.

You know it.
    Uh, I really do have a ziplock bag filled with a couple thousand pogs and slammers in a box somewhere.

Don't joke about pogs, because I will give you like 500 pogs plus slammers for it, hahaha

As for women: does it have to be a woman, or just a person dressed like a woman (don't worry, if it is a dude, I will make them shave their goat-tee)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Let this be a lesson for me: Never make jokes about zany fads from yesteryear because there will always be someone who still has a collection. Now where did I put my slap bracelets?