Thread: Do you use SCART lead?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you use SCART lead?

I noticed that a lot of older computer systems and game systems had this type of connection for near arcade quality graphics. Into some systems like the Neo-Geo these were really arcade graphics for most parts ...

Do you use some sort of RGB or SCART cable into your home connections? Using those cables it is possible to overcome the problems with direct conversions from various colour systems and resolutions .

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really think we need to add an RGB guide to the knowledge base, because it can get pretty confusing. So far from my experience, I've learned that the best and IMO most effective way to get a clear RGB signal is to get the scart cable for the systems, a scart selector box, a scart to japanese 21 pin RGB cable, and hook it up to an XRGB-2 plus.

I just recently got this working, and it took me a lot of wrong purchases and googling to get enough knowledge on the subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I think this calls for someone resurrecting Anthony1 and his theories of RGB!

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    I really think we need to add an RGB guide to the knowledge base, because it can get pretty confusing.
    There's already tons of info if you search the forums.

So far from my experience, I've learned that the best and IMO most effective way to get a clear RGB signal is to get the scart cable for the systems, a scart selector box, a scart to japanese 21 pin RGB cable, and hook it up to an XRGB-2 plus.
    XRGBs are okay, but you'll get a much, much nicer image from a real 15KHz interlaced RGB capable monitor instead of upscanning.

I have a lovely 27" NEC MultiSync that can do 15KHz RGB as well as composite, s-video and VGA. The only system I have hooked up through RGB anymore is my Genesis/Master System, though. It sho'nuff looks nice, but not so much better that I would be willing to go much out of my way for an RGB signal. The Genesis is probably the system that benefits the most from RGB, most others have s-video as an intermediate option and also better internal video encoders that generate a nicer composite image.

RGB alone may not be enough to avoid problems with PAL/NTSC differences, either. PAL and NTSC still have different refresh rates and resolutions and unless the monitor you're displaying the image on can accomodate those differences, you'll still have a rolling or blanked picture. Many RGB capable TVs can also handle PAL as well as NTSC, though.

...word is bondage...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that most of the information you need can be found by searching the forum, I just think it would be nice to have it all in one convenient place.

As for the RGB monitor, I've been looking at getting one, but I'm unsure where to find them. Ebay seems pretty high-priced IMO, and there don't seem to be any at big box retailers such as best buy. How do you go about acquiring the monitors?