0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Default Tokyo Game Show?

Didn't know if I should post it in here or in the Import section, but I would guess here is slightly better... anyone planning to make the trek to the Tokyo Game Show this year? I'm crossing the Pacific, just wanted to see if anyone else is going so that - what the hell - maybe we could say hey on the show floor.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Is Hardgay Razor Ramon making a special appearance or something . I kid. I wont be going but please take many pictures, be the inverse of the stereotypical Asian tourist.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work 5 minutes walk from there and live about 15 minutes away, so yeah, I'll be there!

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a little TGS party - either meet up for some beers or go hit an arcade or something. But if there are DP members going we should definitely meet up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would go except for the whole money thing...smork better take plenty of pictures for us to see japan retro goodness.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    I work 5 minutes walk from there and live about 15 minutes away, so yeah, I'll be there!

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a little TGS party - either meet up for some beers or go hit an arcade or something. But if there are DP members going we should definitely meet up!
    I'll make sure to pack my DP and CGE shirts then, I dunno if that would make much of a difference in the crowds... but what the hell, can't hurt!

Have you been to TGS before? Any tips or advice on the show? o_O

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will be working there for the full four days.

My agent still hasn't got the full details on exactly who I will be working for. I'm quite lazy, so I'm not sure whether I will be able to wear a fake smile for four days!

I've never attended the Tokyo Game Show before, although I can picture what it's like.

Well, if I see any DP t-shirt wearing people, I will say hello.
    However, if you want to take a photo, you'll have to repay me with a drink after the show!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So.....

Who went?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

yes where are the photos! I've wanted to go so bad and though I had the money this year was unable to go still! well maybe next time

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was working for Capcom for the full four days, but I don't think I met any DP members.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@RetroYoungen: So did you go? How was it? Share your adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    I was working for Capcom for the full four days
    In what capacity? Were you doing some kind of voice-over work or announcing or something?

I would like to check the show someday (hopefully I'll be living in Japan teaching ESL), but I'm not really interested in much of the modern stuff... do they have an older, "classic" part of the show? (I try to avoid overuse of the word "retro".) And I'm pretty sure my fiancée wouldn't be interested in it, so I'd really have to convince her.

I've found pics of the show online, but I'd love to see the personal and more meaningful pictures that attending DPers have taken.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    @RetroYoungen: So did you go? How was it? Share your adventures!

In what capacity? Were you doing some kind of voice-over work or announcing or something?

I would like to check the show someday (hopefully I'll be living in Japan teaching ESL), but I'm not really interested in much of the modern stuff... do they have an older, "classic" part of the show? (I try to avoid overuse of the word "retro".) And I'm pretty sure my fiancée wouldn't be interested in it, so I'd really have to convince her.

I've found pics of the show online, but I'd love to see the personal and more meaningful pictures that attending DPers have taken.
    Nothing as interesting as announcing! All I did was hand out a few Capcom DVDs and pose for photos - just a basic Game Show Girl. It was much harder work than I thought it would be and Capcom didn't even let me keep the orange two piece that I had to wear! My friend doing the same job for SNK Playmore, and another for Tecmo got to keep their uniforms, but they are not really interested in games. I love games, but I couldn't keep mine. :-(

At least I got to play Biohazard 5 though. :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How lame is this -- I didn't go. I was 5 minutes away from there on Saturday, and i wasn't doing anything special, I just didn't feel like fighting the crowds.

Plus, I had this mini-epiphany -- I spend 95% of my gaming and collecting energies on arcade and retro stuff, so I don't really care about the newer stuff anymore. Weird, eh?

Now if it was a CGE sort of event (does Japan even have collector's shows and trade fests, anyway?) I'd have been waiting anxiously....

Is it just me or was Tokyo particularly full of foreigners this weekend? It seemed every time I hopped on a train there were at least a few foreigners, where normally outside my mirror and my office I only normally see 1-2 a day. I guess between the TGS and the F1 race there was a massive influx of foreigners this weekend...
    Last edited by smork; 10-13-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    Nothing as interesting as announcing! All I did was hand out a few Capcom DVDs and pose for photos - just a basic Game Show Girl. It was much harder work than I thought it would be and Capcom didn't even let me keep the orange two piece that I had to wear! My friend doing the same job for SNK Playmore, and another for Tecmo got to keep their uniforms, but they are not really interested in games. I love games, but I couldn't keep mine. :-(

At least I got to play Biohazard 5 though. :-)
    I imagine that would be hard work--having to stand there all day would be quite fatiguing (kind of similar where you think that the person holding the stop/slow sign at a construction site on a highway has an easy job, but it's a lot harder than you'd think), having to keep up a smile the whole time. I couldn't do it, that's for sure. I'd say you're probably unique in that you're one of the few people with that job who truly likes gaming, whereas the other girls are just doing it as a paying gig. It's a bummer that they wouldn't let you keep the outfit.

I've been looking at some photos of the show on the play-asia website at http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-2-74-1i8-49-zh.html. Were you captured in any of them?
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How lame is this -- I didn't go. I was 5 minutes away from there on Saturday, and i wasn't doing anything special, I just didn't feel like fighting the crowds.

Plus, I had this mini-epiphany -- I spend 95% of my gaming and collecting energies on arcade and retro stuff, so I don't really care about the newer stuff anymore. Weird, eh?

Now if it was a CGE sort of event (does Japan even have collector's shows and trade fests, anyway?) I'd have been waiting anxiously....

Is it just me or was Tokyo particularly full of foreigners this weekend? It seemed every time I hopped on a train there were at least a few foreigners, where normally outside my mirror and my office I only normally see 1-2 a day. I guess between the TGS and the F1 race there was a massive influx of foreigners this weekend...
    Take any pics? I'd love to see some of your photos... did you get one of you and RetroYoungen standing together?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take any pics? I'd love to see some of your photos... did you get one of you and RetroYoungen standing together?
    Well, as I said I didn't actually go. I've got plenty of Tokyo pics in general as it's home

I wish I had met RetroYoungen -- as a matter of fact if you read this RY and you are still in Tokyo PM me, and maybe we can meet!

(actually, I've never met anyone on this board...)

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Gomen, everybody... I didn't have much in the way of Internet access for the few days I was in Japan! I just got back from the airport and made food, haven't uploaded all of my pics yet (over 250... a new record for me!), and believe me, I'll be linking to a blog with all of the entries I've already written during my time and the afterthoughts/specifics of my trip. Stay tuned, I've got today and tomorrow off so I'll be posting after I get food in my belly and sleep in my bed!

And I was wearing my DP shirt that day, just to make sure anybody who could see my shirt would know it was me... sadly I didn't meet or see anybody (except seeing Morgan Webb, which was sorta cool. NO chance of a meet or handshake though. lol).
    Last edited by RetroYoungen; 10-13-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as I said I didn't actually go.
    Argh, sorry! Usually I'm a much better reader than that. How did I not see that? I'll just chalk it up to a stressful day (my students are driving me crazy--I'll make them the scapegoats) making my eyes blurry and glazed.

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol, I can't stop laughing. Here is a picture of a girl who just had no idea the picture was going to be taken. Upper left.

http://image3.play-asia.com/gallery/...00079.0109.jpg

Edit: Ugh, I am coughing now.

Double Edit: I didn't laugh for 4 minutes straight, just kept going back to the picture. :*)
    Last edited by MonoTekETeA; 10-14-2008 at 12:51 AM.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imagine that would be hard work--having to stand there all day would be quite fatiguing (kind of similar where you think that the person holding the stop/slow sign at a construction site on a highway has an easy job, but it's a lot harder than you'd think), having to keep up a smile the whole time. I couldn't do it, that's for sure. I'd say you're probably unique in that you're one of the few people with that job who truly likes gaming, whereas the other girls are just doing it as a paying gig. It's a bummer that they wouldn't let you keep the outfit.

I've been looking at some photos of the show on the play-asia website at http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-2-74-1i8-49-zh.html. Were you captured in any of them?
    No, I'm not in any of those photos. I'm sure that there must be at least one photo of me on the internet though, I remember having to pose for an awful lot of photos.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've just spent the last hour searching for what photos of me made their way onto the internet - mostly because I was worried!

Anyway, I found a couple of OK ones:

Here's another, I'm the fourth from the left:
    Last edited by Mimi Nakamura; 09-27-2009 at 02:39 PM.