Thread: Got a Colecovision!!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) davegt666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Got a Colecovision!!!!!

Well today i went to my local SAVERS and found a colecovision in box with an rf cable and 2 controllers for 25 bucks! there was also an intellevision but decided too go with the CV. just hope it works though since it didn't come with a power adapter. anybody know where i can get one for cheap cause i saw some on ebay but they were about 15 or 20 bucks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, it is this system that had the advertising about arcade quality graphics !!! Sure, any system that could use the same graphics (video processor) or better could deserve this type of title too ... After all, it was not every system that had "near arcade" quality graphics !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are someone who can deal with electronic without burning anything, and you may have some good old power supply for PC (before Pentium time), then you can use one of these AT power supply to use your ColecoVision.

I know there was some people, in the 80s and 90s, who put Coleco Adam computer parts into PC mid-tower cases powered by AT power supplies. And yes, I saw one working just fine. The owner didn't make possible to use Coleco game cartridges with it, but I suppose he didn't need that with all the games he put in floppy disks.
    Long time no see. Still playing my coleco games?
    http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

$15 to $20 is imo a fair price for a CV power supply. If you still think that's too expensive then I might have a spare and would be willing to work a trade out. PM if interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    $15 to $20 is imo a fair price for a CV power supply. If you still think that's too expensive then I might have a spare and would be willing to work a trade out. PM if interested.
    thats alright if 15 or 20 bucks is the average then i guess thats what i'll pay just wanted check if there was another place cheaper i didnt know about. thanks anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Good luck with that Colecovision working. Hopefully you'll get lucky and have a working one right away. I went through four before I found one that worked decently.

Was there a game included in the box? For some reason whenever I found a boxed machine it had mainly Atari 2600 carts inside. (?) Coleco carts are pretty difficult to source in the wild, unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Good luck with that Colecovision working. Hopefully you'll get lucky and have a working one right away. I went through four before I found one that worked decently.

Was there a game included in the box? For some reason whenever I found a boxed machine it had mainly Atari 2600 carts inside. (?) Coleco carts are pretty difficult to source in the wild, unfortunately.
    Unfortunately No there wasn't a game cart in there

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just picked up a colecovision loose as a present for a friend of mine. unfortunitly it didn't come with the RF switchbox or cable. i just wish i could pick one up from a store instead of haveing to grab one off ebay or canabalize anouther systems cable.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    i just picked up a colecovision loose as a present for a friend of mine. unfortunitly it didn't come with the RF switchbox or cable. i just wish i could pick one up from a store instead of haveing to grab one off ebay or canabalize anouther systems cable.
    Any rca cord should work. I have a ton of the white and red rca cords laying around(the kind that most stereos use). Just split them apart and you got two cords. You can pick up the RCA to RF adapter thingy for $3 at radio shack.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Even if you don't have a Colecovision cartridge, you could test it if you have the 2600 module and a 2600 game. Also, without any carts, when the CV is turned on, you'll get a screen asking you to insert a game. From my experience and reading tons (I mean tons) of other posts on several forums, the failure rate for CV's is higher than any other major (classic) game system I've ever seen. And so I really think it's not worth it to bother with a CV unless you can visibly see it working. That might sound harsh, but the components and manufacturing didn't hold a candle to Atari's.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by davegt666 View Post
    Well today i went to my local SAVERS and found a colecovision in box with an rf cable and 2 controllers for 25 bucks! there was also an intellevision but decided too go with the CV. just hope it works though since it didn't come with a power adapter. anybody know where i can get one for cheap cause i saw some on ebay but they were about 15 or 20 bucks.
    well I finally got the power supply from amazon and the good news is that the colecovision works though the bad news is that obviously there is a shitty picture. any tips on improving the rf signal or maybe modifying it composite? -thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I performed a Ben Heck composite mod on my spare Colecovision. It's fairly straight forward. I posted the results in my blog which you can find in my sig.

Good Luck.

Mike