Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is the PS3's Blu Ray player?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    A cable company trying to sell everyone their expensive cables.

Yea let's take their word over the words of the multiple reviewers who have said there is no difference.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just don't remember the exact publication (I get about 15 magazines a month), but I remember the article quite well. They took super cheap no name hdmi cables and really expensive ones and tested them and found that they delivered identical data.

They also sat people down to pick the higher quality cable, no one could do it. That was the gist of the article, just when I'm quoting a source I like to say exactly what it was and when rather than 'i read somewhere,' but in this case I'm fuzzy (given the similar name of the publications). Both my HDMI cables are cheap ones so I can't speak from personal experience.

As for the OP, I've only had the sony 3 for a day (just for blu ray) and it runs completely quiet which is what I was worried about (since the 360 sounds like a jet). It's a BIG system though so make sure you have room in your entertainment center, but yeah so far no complaints.

Nate

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Can't you get a cheap and simple USB dongle that'll get your universal IR remotes working with the PS3?
    Yes you can.

I have the PS3 hooked up to a 46 inch Sony 1080p TV, and Blu-ray movies look gramazing. Right now the PS3 is the best way to go, as far a Blu-ray players go. Many others in this thread have attested to this, and have given good links to support their claims.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally use my PS3 as my main DVD player, and the controller is intuitive enough. Blu-Ray is a neat technology, but I honestly don't really care about it. Yes, it looks better than DVD. No, I don't think it's worth an extra $10-15 over the price of the same movie on DVD. Once it's widely accepted and prices go down to DVD-level, I'll say "hmm, this is a nice step up in technology," but until then, I don't mind a little macroblocking.

Opinions aside, I have some genuine concerns about using the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. Everyone's heard about or experienced the DVD-reading problems on the PS2, what if we see that again? Will playing DVDs on your PS3 make it go kaput exponentially faster? I have the Holy Grail 60gb model, and would hate to have to replace it with a stripped revision model. PS3 DVD playback is my favorite out of everything else I've used, including standalone players, XBMC, Xbox 360, PS2, and even my HTPC running Vista Media Center, so it's going to see heavy DVD usage over the next few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Unfortunately, I do not think so. The way it was shown (and the way I had to do it) was to forward a bunch of ports to the PS3 address. Just check one thing on your laptop, make sure you are using DHCP and not a static IP. If you use a static IP and the PS3 is set for DHCP then it will definitely try to get the IP of the laptop. From my experience, linksys routes can be set to DHCP and will still allow access to nodes that have a static IP setup.

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Is there a way to keep this from happening just with access to the PS3 and the laptop? I don't actually have access to the router because my landlord lets me leech off his Wifi.
    In regards to what some people were saying about the remote, I always use it unless I am just playing MP3's. I bought the remote when I bought the PS3 and think it is great!