Thread: Wipeout HD

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Wipeout HD

If you're a Wipeout fan, or just a fan of futurist design, techno music and HD graphics, this is some drool-inducing stuff.

I've enjoyed the Wipeout series since the first Psygnosis release ... and along with Wipeout XL on PS1 and Wipeout Pure on PSP, this is now in my top three, and looks to be fast-tracking to the best version I've ever played.

Like Ridge Racers on PSP, this is essentially a "best of" as far as track selections go, but that's not to say that it feels like the same old same old ... the controls (which have been well tuned for a long time in the series) remain excellent ... and there's even some SixaxiS controls in there for those brave enough to attempt them.

The graphics absolutely rock at 1080p and a solid solid 60fps, and the Dolby audio sounds great.

I've only played a few games online, aaaaaaand while I didn't come in first place, I can't say that the system, the network, or anything software related was responsible ... just other really really good Wipeout players.

This is the second entry in the series to go online (Pulse on PSP was 1st), so it's not surprising that everything works as it should.

There are a few other added features like photo mode (photos taken in-game can be exported to a memory stick), and there are future DLC tracks and cars planned.

And those that have always had trouble with the "unique" style of controlling/turning/air-braking in the series can rejoice - there's a "pilot assist" mode that keeps you from bouncing off of the walls ... it's kind of like invisible training wheels ... or ... Wipeout for dummies.

$20 is a touch on the expensive side as far as DLC goes ... but this is a pretty full-fledged game, and honestly I'd rather this be $20 and DLC only than $30 or $40 on a Blu-Ray disc at brick & mortar.

Wipeout fans should have this on their radar.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I downloaded this when I was playing Mega Man 9 and while it did take bit to figure out what was going on, I'm glad there's finally a racing game for PS3 that's worth owning. I played a few games online and there wasn't even the slightest hit of lag, so me coming in second to last was me just sucking.

There also seems to be trophies in the game, which was a complete surprised to me when I unknowingly did an achievement and I was greeted with a Bronze notice in the top right corner of my screen.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was playing this a bit at work today, and so far it seems great. The presentation is clean and solid, and the gameplay is nice and fast(although on anything other than Phantom the game just felt a bit slow to me...).

One thing I didn't really appreciate was that maybe the graphics had a bit...too much detail in them, and sometimes it's a little hard to just see the road and tell where you're going. Then again, that's probably a track design issue than a graphical one, and one that many racers seem to suffer from these days.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I'm very interested in picking this up. I just wanted to verify with others that it was worth grabbing, and it sounds like it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I just downloaded it.

WOW!!! If you have a PS3, and a 1080p TV, get ready for a treat. It's so purdy!

And you can't go wrong with the $20 price tag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

How's the vehicle handling? I've never been able to play Wipeout because the vehicles are always all over the place. I even ended up selling the PSP version because I couldn't get the hang of it (and I never sell my games).

F-Zero...I can play just fine. Wipeout...not so much.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    How's the vehicle handling? I've never been able to play Wipeout because the vehicles are always all over the place. I even ended up selling the PSP version because I couldn't get the hang of it (and I never sell my games).

They seem to handle about on par with the other games. But since the PS3's controller is wireless, it makes the controls a little less awkward.

This game does have a better feeling of speed than previous Wipeout's. But even on the speediest parts, you still have a fairly good amount of control over your vehicle.

I'm still trying to figure out the Zone Races.... I don't quite understand what's going on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

Like I said above ... this is the first game in the series (to my knowledge) to add "pilot assist" ... it makes it play a bit more like F-Zero in it's turning style by my estimation ... and it keeps you from smashing into the walls as much.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Anyone know where I can find a list of all the music tracks?

I recognized a little remix of Kraftwerk's "Aerodynamic", in there... But that's about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out the Zone Races.... I don't quite understand what's going on.
    Zone mode is pretty much "stay alive as long as you can"

If you haven't noticed when you're playing a zone game in Wipeout, you're running at full speed, even if you take your finger off the accelleration button.

You want to avoid hitting the walls at all costs, every time you pass a zone, your top speed goes up a tiny bit and it gets harder and harder to not hit the walls.

Your race ends when you run out of power ... if you can zone high enough, like 20 or 25 you should be a lock for a silver or gold medal.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might just have to get this in the near future. I had fond memories of playing Wipeout Pure back when I first had my PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Well I completely suck at this game, I played a few online races and always end up in 2nd to last. I guess it's better than being last, but damn if I don't get my ass handed to me just seconds after the race starts.

So any pointers for people who are new to Wipeout?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Well I completely suck at this game, I played a few online races and always end up in 2nd to last. I guess it's better than being last, but damn if I don't get my ass handed to me just seconds after the race starts.

So any pointers for people who are new to Wipeout?
    Practice the tracks offline so you can memorize/anticipate upcoming turns.

Try your best to hit all of the boost pads,

and draft opponents (you can see their trail in this version of the game) to overtake them ... as tempting as it can be to aggressively bump them, it slows you down a bit, so I'd recommend just passing them if you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

They could easily get away with selling this for $39.99 on the PSN Store and I would not have a problem with paying it.

The lag online is almost not there.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I played it for a while tonight and I am very slowly getting the hang of things, it really is one of the better racing games I've played in a long time. I read in one review that sometimes you getting in first place is all about luck and I completely agree with that statement. I got in first place just milliseconds before the person behind me and I couldn't help but smiled, I got the gold on my second try.

The game has a steep learning curve, but the time trials and zone modes help you get the hang of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Invested another few hours last night in both carreer mode and online ... and this has got to be one of the best $20 games I've purchased this year, and is now officially my favorite Wipeout series game.

The online mode is pretty fantastic in terms of how well it plays, I only wish it had more (or, any) communication options for players. (THANK GOD FOR IN-GAME XMB!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, so it doesn't have any voice chat then? I wasn't sure, since a lot of online stuff I've done on PSN is silent due to people not having/not using headsets.

But I'll take the lack of voice chat over not losing any speed. I suck at the game online but it's still fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    Ah, so it doesn't have any voice chat then? I wasn't sure, since a lot of online stuff I've done on PSN is silent due to people not having/not using headsets.

But I'll take the lack of voice chat over not losing any speed. I suck at the game online but it's still fun.
    People love to hear themselves talk, especially when they have nothing to say...

*edit* .... Joystiq says that holding L1 opens a voice chat channel in race ... that's strange, since L1 is assigned to fire weapons on my control layout.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) contra4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Schweet!!!