Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atari 2600 Import/PAL list - where'd it go?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 2600 Import/PAL list - where'd it go?

My printed copy of the Classic Guide has a fairly extensive listing of import and PAL 2600 games with rarities and values, but the online guide has relatively few. Where'd they all go?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it looks like a number of unique PAL releases got dropped then (example: Acid Drop by Salu).

And as someone who picks up the occasional 2600 import, it was nice to use the guide to check whether a particular game was original or just a name variant. Guess I'll have to use Atarimania for this.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Acid Drop should have stayed (it's back in the master file). Please lmk if there are any others missing, but as you can see from the list below, there aren't very many original PAL games:

Acid Drop
    Asteroid Fire
    Astrowar
    Base Attack
    Bobby is Going Home
    Burning Desire
    Cathouse Blues
    Dancing Plate
    Dragon Defender
    Exocet
    Fatal Run
    Forest
    Frisco
    Ghostbusters II
    Go Go Home Monster
    IQ-180
    Klax
    Knight on the Town
    Lily Adventure
    Magic Puzzle
    Mega Boy Educational Cartridge
    Missile Control
    Mission 3,000 A.D.
    Mission Survive
    Motocross
    Mr. Postman
    My Golf
    Nightmare
    Nuts
    Open Sesame
    Panda Chase
    Parachute
    Phantom Tank
    Pharaoh's Curse
    Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (special contest version)
    Racing Car
    Repro Cart
    Save Our Ship
    Sea Monster
    Seahawk
    Ski Hunt
    Ski Run
    Skindiver
    Sky Alien
    Snail Against Squirrel
    Space Tunnel
    Spider Monster
    Steeple Chase
    Surfer's Paradise: But Danger Below!
    Time Warp
    Topsy
    Treasure Below
    unknown
    unknown
    unknown
    Wall Break
    Wing War
    Words-Attack
    World End
    X'Mission

Think about it - would a collector be as willing to spend a few thousand dollars on an ultra-rare original or a pirate? Atarimania is a good site, but they claim to track more than 7,000 different cartridge titles. Now, obviously there aren't that many different games. Aside from tracking bootleg/pirates, they also track every label variation as well, which is how they arrive at 7,000+ (doing a search on PAL titles pulls up 1,799 listings). I don't see any way to have a search ignore label variations or to differentiate between original and pirate versions, which means when you do a search for say, Space Invaders, it pulls up 93 listings. That's fine for an online guide, but hardly desirable when it comes to publishing it in book form. You want to sit down and establish rarity ratings for all 93 variations, or try to figure out which ones to keep and which ones to drop? I sure as hell don't, which is why I'm opting to stick with originals. Besides, other than the folks at Atarimania, I don't know of anyone who's THAT into collecting every variation of a given game. The book caters to everyone, not that 0.05% segment of collectors, otherwise if it did, the book would be GINORMOUS.
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

are they going to only list exclusives or will there be the entire licensed and legit released game list?
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I understand the need to keep the printed guide down to a reasonable page count. For the online guide, would it be feasible to include an 'also-known-as' section in the games' descriptions? I'll look thru my PAL collection to see if you're missing anything else but I'll have to use Atarimania's lists since many of mine have different titles than on your list.

Also, if the goal is to list only PAL exclusives, why are games like Phantom Tank (which was released in the US as Tank Brigade) and Sea Hawk included?
    -Ron

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Following up:
    I have 4 PAL games that aren't on your list and seem to have not been released in the US:
    Eddy Langfinger (aka Mysterious Thief)
    Farmyard Fun
    My Way (aka Challenge)
    Pick & Pile

And, according to Atarimania, these games on the list did have a US release:
    Asteroid Fire = Great Escape
    Base Attack = Z Tack
    Burning Desire (Playaround)
    Cathouse Blues (Playaround)
    Dancing Plate = Dishaster
    Exocet = Cruise Missile (also Panda)
    Knight on the Town (Playaround)
    Magic Puzzle = Dice Puzzle
    Nightmare = Stuntman
    Open Sesame = I Want My Mommy
    Phantom Tank = Tank Brigade
    Seahawk = Sea Hawk
    Skindiver = Sea Hunt
    Sky Alien = Assault
    Space Tunnel = Cosmic Corridor
    Spider Monster = Spider Kong
    Wall Break = Wall Defender

Insert Coin (Level 0) Rom Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stonic,

Please check our Guide to see how to track down originals:
    http://www.atarimania.com/guide/2600..._originals.php

Just click on Original version on our Advanced Search page to create any original version list you want:
    http://www.atarimania.com/rech_advan...=2&TYPE_CODE=G

Easy as pie.

But you probably already know that, as your list was generated by using it (I can tell by noticing the inclusion of the three unknowns and the missing Acid Drop and Pick & Pile I forgot to tag as originals).

Ok, let me help you here:

Acid Drop
    Asteroid Fire
    Astrowar
    Base Attack
    Bobby is Going Home
    Burning Desire
    Cathouse Blues
    Dancing Plate
    Dragon Defender
    Exocet
    Fatal Run
    Forest
    Frisco
    Ghostbusters II
    Go Go Home Monster
    (still not found yet)
    IQ-180 (not confirmed to exist - better list it as Suntek's I.Q. Memory Teaser for now)
    Klax
    Knight on the Town
    Lily Adventure
    Magic Puzzle
    (not confirmed to exist - better list it as Sancho's Dice Puzzle for now)
    Mega Boy Educational Cartridge (AFAIK not PAL, but NTSC)
    Missile Control
    Mission 3,000 A.D.
    Mission Survive
    Motocross
    Mr. Postman
    My Golf
    Nightmare
    Nuts
    Open Sesame
    Panda Chase
    Parachute
    Phantom Tank
    Pharaoh's Curse

Pick & Pile (new added)
    Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (special contest version) (still not found yet)
    Racing Car
    Repro Cart
    Save Our Ship
    Sea Monster
    Seahawk
    Ski Hunt
    Ski Run
    Skindiver
    Sky Alien
    Snail Against Squirrel
    Space Tunnel
    Spider Monster
    (the original is now listed as Inca Gold, an earlier released version)
    Steeple Chase
    Surfer's Paradise: But Danger Below!
    Time Warp

Topsy (must be Topy)
    Treasure Below
    unknown (Suntek's SS-026, most probably called Treasure Island)
    unknown (Suntek's SS-034, most probably called Farmyard Fun)
    unknown (Suntek's Zoo Fun, recently found. Although quite different, please know that this game is based on code of Home Vision's Panda Chase!)
    Wall Break
    Wing War
    Words-Attack
    (is actually a Sancho prototype based on a still unknown Home Vision title)
    World End
    X'Mission

8)
    Last edited by Rom Hunter; 10-08-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    Oh, I understand the need to keep the printed guide down to a reasonable page count. For the online guide, would it be feasible to include an 'also-known-as' section in the games' descriptions?
    The book version still has an "AKA" section for alternate names. It should be possible to add it to the online version, but that's something (online guide code changes) I'm not involved with.

Also, if the goal is to list only PAL exclusives, why are games like Phantom Tank (which was released in the US as Tank Brigade) and Sea Hawk included?
    -Ron
    Because... I missed them

Phantom Tank was also released in the U.S. by Zimag (as Tanks But No Tanks). But in this case I should probably include both. Bit Corp has often released their games with different names by different companies, so it's possible Zimag was one (or the only?) such U.S. distributor. Panda mostly re-released NTSC versions of Sancho's PAL games.

I'd like to include games that aren't flat-out pirate copies or simple hacks (such as changing the copyright). Games like Seahawk and Frisco use much code from legit games Chopper Command and Pac-Man respectively, but with enough changes to be considered different. And with those, I'm noting the fact that they aren't completely original.
    Last edited by stonic; 10-10-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rom Hunter View Post
    Just click on Original version on our Advanced Search page to create any original version list you want:
    http://www.atarimania.com/rech_advan...=2&TYPE_CODE=G
    Good to know, thanks.

But you probably already know that, as your list was generated by using it...
    First, it's not *my* list, it's DP's. I simply copy & pasted the PAL section as it currently is from our database. The bulk of our PAL section was originally created years ago, mainly by Marco Kerstens and Roloff de Jeu, which was probably used as a starting point for Atarimania's.

It'd be nice if we could help each other out, instead of .. ya know, "borrowing" from each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Understood.

Stonic,

If you have any questions about (foreign) VCS games, please let me know.

I would be glad to help where possible.

Keep up the good work!

8)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go Go Home Monster (still not found yet)
    Not found? Not sure what you mean since the ROM exists...
    http://www.atarimania.com/detail_sof...RSION_ID=15661

IQ-180 (not confirmed to exist - better list it as Suntek's I.Q. Memory Teaser for now)
    If that's a Suntek original, then I'm surprised that's the name since the screen shows it as IQ-180. I tend to go with the name as it appears onscreen first.

Magic Puzzle
    (not confirmed to exist - better list it as Sancho's Dice Puzzle for now)
    Aren't some of Home Vision's titles pirate (i.e. not originals)? Whereas all of Sancho's other titles are originals, correct? I would tend to think that Dice Puzzle is a Sancho original.

Yep. For some reason my rom was labeled PAL but it's indeed NTSC.

Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (special contest version) (still not found yet)
    ... and likely won't, as this was made specifically in Activision's UK office. Even Crane wasn't aware of this version.

Spider Monster (the original is now listed as Inca Gold, an earlier released version)
    Looking at Funvision's listing on your site, out of 22 titles, only 3 are supposedly original. It's hard to believe that any of them are. Are you certain those 3 are originals? (verified with CloneSpy?). Take Challenge - we know Zellers' entire catalog is pirated software so there's no question with them, but at least HES was a legit distributor, albeit of games from other companies. The one original they did have was actually developed by Absolute. In other words, HES didn't develop any games (that we know of) but at least they didn't pirate any.

unknown (Suntek's Zoo Fun, recently found. Although quite different, please know that this game is based on code of Home Vision's Panda Chase!)
    Like Funvision, it's hard to think that Suntek would have been developing new games, though hacking is "better" than outright pirating

Words-Attack (is actually a Sancho prototype based on a still unknown Home Vision title)
    Again, I would think it's a Sancho original, given there's at least a prototype, whereas the only "proof" Home Vision has is an ad.

So many of these PAL game companies ripped off legit developers (and sometimes each other) that it's hard to believe most would have even one original game that they developed. Did any of these companies produce manuals, catalogs, press kits, or similar literature, other than magazine ads?

Btw, RealSports Basketball could technically be considered either NTSC or PAL (since the scanline count is on the fence between both), but it was obviously planned to be NTSC (first - esp since the programmer only did NTSC games) and wouldn't have been released in it's current form
    Last edited by stonic; 10-10-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Not found? Not sure what you mean since the ROM exists...
    http://www.atarimania.com/detail_sof...RSION_ID=15661
    That's the ROM of Alien's Return from ITT Family Games.
    I put it there, because I know 99,9% certain that the Go Go Home Monster ROM is 100% identical to it.
    Go Go Home Monster itself however, is still not found.
    I still have hope though.
    This one was found yesterday:
    http://atarimania.com/zoom_frame.php...=2&NUM_IMAGE=3

It carries a sticker with the model number and (misspelled) title of Meteor Defense:
    http://atarimania.com/zoom_frame.php...=2&NUM_IMAGE=3

The other title of ITT Family Games' doppelpack is Alien's Return, aka Go Go Home Monster...

If that's a Suntek original, then I'm surprised that's the name since the screen shows it as IQ-180. I tend to go with the name as it appears onscreen first.
    It's not a Suntek original (Suntek did not release any original games), but the original Home Vision version (most probably called IQ-180) is still not found.
    I can understand why you want to stick to the IQ-180 title, though.
    After all, that is most probably the original title of the game.
    Unfortunately, a Home Vision cart with this title has still not been found.
    That's why I suggested to list it as I.Q. Memory Teaser for now.

Aren't some of Home Vision's titles pirate (i.e. not originals)? Whereas all of Sancho's other titles are originals, correct? I would tend to think that Dice Puzzle is a Sancho original.
    Not all the Sancho games are originals!
    Thomas Jentzsch found the Home Vision logo inside the ROM data of Sancho's Words Attack.
    That's why I'm willing to believe that Dice Puzzle was originally a Home Vision game, called Magic Puzzle.
    But, just like IQ-180, the Home Vision version has never been found.
    That's why I suggested to list it as Dice Puzzle for now.

Looking at Funvision's listing on your site, out of 22 titles, only 3 are supposedly original. It's hard to believe that any of them are. Are you certain those 3 are originals? (verified with CloneSpy?). Take Challenge - we know Zellers' entire catalog is pirated software so there's no question with them, but at least HES was a legit distributor, albeit of games from other companies. The one original they did have was actually developed by Absolute. In other words, HES didn't develop any games (that we know of) but at least they didn't pirate any.
    That's right, but the Challenge ROM contains unactivated data that contained the Funvision logo.
    The fact that I listed the three Funvision titles as originals, is because these versions are the oldest, according to CloneSpy and further ROM examinations.
    They carry the Funvision logo, while later versions de-activated or replaced that logo.
    That doesn't automatically mean that Funvision originally created those titles, but there simply aren't any older versions known to exist.

Again, I would think it's a Sancho original, given there's at least a prototype, whereas the only "proof" Home Vision has is an ad.
    As mentioned above, Thomas Jentzsch found the Home Vision '83 logo inside the ROMs data, so it's mosty likely a Home Vision original.
    Also, Kurt Howe discovered that this ROM contains a whole block of "carbage" data, that was most probably reserved for a "word-pool", to give meaning to its gameplay.
    Therefore it's still a prototype and not a complete game.

So many of these PAL game companies ripped off legit developers (and sometimes each other) that it's hard to believe most would have even one original game that they developed. Did any of these companies produce manuals, catalogs, press kits, or similar literature, other than magazine ads?
    Hmmm.
    TechnoVision and Video Gems come to mind.

Btw, RealSports Basketball could technically be considered either NTSC or PAL (since the scanline count is on the fence between both), but it was obviously planned to be NTSC (first - esp since the programmer only did NTSC games) and wouldn't have been released in it's current form
    Yes, I know.
    That one is an "in-between" case indeed.

8)
    Last edited by Rom Hunter; 10-11-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Dynacom

Yep. For some reason my rom was labeled PAL but it's indeed NTSC.
    If you are listing the Dynacom MegaBoy, it was a PAL-M system. Pal-M is compatible with NTSC but carry a different colour system.The MegaBoy COMPACT Educational Video System seems to be one of that odd thing from Brazil. If you wanted a licensed "COMPACT" system that really looked like a SEGA Game Gear, there was the SEGA Master System Super Compact ...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the ROM of Alien's Return from ITT Family Games.
    I put it there, because I know 99,9% certain that the Go Go Home Monster ROM is 100% identical to it.
    Go Go Home Monster itself however, is still not found.
    Well, if ITT didn't bother to remove/change the copyright, chances are they didn't do anything to the ROM. Still, that can make things confusing. How many instances are there like that, as far as having the wrong ROMS on entries?

Didn't ITT basically re-release other company's games, like Home Vision's? I think I'll credit Home Vision for that one.

It's not a Suntek original (Suntek did not release any original games), but the original Home Vision version (most probably called IQ-180) is still not found.
    Aren't Dragon Defender, Motocross, and Ski Run originals? Your site lists those titles in bold type. Suntek (or somebody) took the time to remove the copyright info from a few games.

Not all the Sancho games are originals!
    Thomas Jentzsch found the Home Vision logo inside the ROM data of Sancho's Words Attack.
    Then Word Attack shouldn't be in bold type (on your site), correct?

As mentioned above, Thomas Jentzsch found the Home Vision '83 logo inside the ROMs data, so it's mosty likely a Home Vision original.
    Also, Kurt Howe discovered that this ROM contains a whole block of "carbage" data, that was most probably reserved for a "word-pool", to give meaning to its gameplay.
    Therefore it's still a prototype and not a complete game.
    You keep referring to it as a prototype, yet the picture of the cart on your site shows a finished label. I wouldn't refer to it as such simply because the programmer didn't use all the available memory space. I'm sure there are a few others where that's the case as well. Besides, I've never heard of prototype pirate carts

... but the Challenge ROM contains unactivated data that contained the Funvision logo.
    The fact that I listed the three Funvision titles as originals, is because these versions are the oldest, according to CloneSpy and further ROM examinations.
    They carry the Funvision logo, while later versions de-activated or replaced that logo.
    That doesn't automatically mean that Funvision originally created those titles, but there simply aren't any older versions known to exist.
    Ah, ok. I don't suppose there's any "proof" in the code that I.Q. came from Home Vision? I'm confused with Challenge, since you state the Funvision game is a NTSC conversion of HES's PAL game and that the music in Funvision's version was messed up do to being converted (which would mean HES's version is older). I played through the first level on each and I didn't notice anything wrong with it, other than the usual difference in speed (tempo) as is often the case comparing NTSC and PAL versions. What exactly is wrong with the HES version?

I checked and I have some flyers from Technovision, which is actually VTech or Video Technology Ltd. Much like how Home Vision is a brand name for VDI, "Technovision" was just a brand name (or possibly a division of VTech?). Other VTech brands were CreatiVision and Hirsch Co. But Gem International is really the company who made Home Vision's games - Home Vision was just a distributor AFAIK (of mostly Gem Int's games).

I don't have anything for Video Gems though.

And what of games that are copyrighted "R.J.P.G." like Racing Car? How many games have that copyright? And is there any chance that's the original developer/company? I suppose it could be the initials of the programmer(s).
    Last edited by stonic; 07-21-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if ITT didn't bother to remove/change the copyright, chances are they didn't do anything to the ROM. Still, that can make things confusing. How many instances are there like that, as far as having the wrong ROMS on entries?
    I think a handful of entries have a 'wrong' ROM added.
    But as I said, it's as good as certain that these ROMs are 100% identical to the missing original ones.

Aren't Dragon Defender, Motocross, and Ski Run originals? Your site lists those titles in bold type. Suntek (or somebody) took the time to remove the copyright info from a few games.
    The original Home Vision titles of these games are not known, so the Suntek versions are in bold for now.
    Btw, each of the three entry page contain a note about this.

Then Word Attack shouldn't be in bold type (on your site), correct?
    Same case here.
    We still do not know the original Home Vision title, so Words-Attack is in bold for now.

You keep referring to it as a prototype, yet the picture of the cart on your site shows a finished label. I wouldn't refer to it as such simply because the programmer didn't use all the available memory space. I'm sure there are a few others where that's the case as well. Besides, I've never heard of prototype pirate carts
    Well, the player has no goal during gameplay (because of the missing word-pool), so it isn't a finished game.
    That's why I still call it a prototype.
    It would have never been released as a finished product in this state, simply because there's no goal (trust me, I tested it to the bone before Kurt helped me out).
    The fact that it has a finished label doesn't make it a finished game.
    Also, it doesn't have to be a pirated cart either.
    I think Sancho took this one over from Home Vision, made a label for it and went down (in 1983) just before they could add the much needed word-pool data.
    Please remember that this is the only cart known to exist at this moment.
    Although a finished label like that should have been printed more than once IMO, no other cart with this label has ever been found in the last 25 years.
    So, in my eyes it's a prototype.

Ah, ok. I don't suppose there's any "proof" in the code that I.Q. came from Home Vision?
    Nope.
    Thomas Jentzsch examined it and found no Home Vision traces inside.
    The only clue I have comes from an old list, which mentioned IQ-180 as a Home Vision game.

I'm confused with Challenge, since you state the Funvision game is a NTSC conversion of HES's PAL game and that the music in Funvision's version was messed up do to being converted (which would mean HES's version is older). I played through the first level on each and I didn't notice anything wrong with it, other than the usual difference in speed (tempo) as is often the case comparing NTSC and PAL versions. What exactly is wrong with the HES version?
    Nothing, except that it has unactivated logo data inside, which means that an earlier version was programmed to display a logo.

And what of games that are copyrighted "R.J.P.G." like Racing Car? How many games have that copyright? And is there any chance that's the original developer/company? I suppose it could be the initials of the programmer(s).
    That question has been bugging me for many years now.
    Frisco, Racing Car and Ski Hunt are the three Home Vision titles with the R.J.P.G. initials in it.
    ITT Family Games kept these in when they released resp. Peter Penguin, Hell Driver and Mountain Man.
    I still don't know where these initials stand for.
    Could be a some (inhouse) programmer or programming company.
    I honestly don't know.

Thanks for the article!
    Great read.

S.S. means SunScience, btw:
    http://www.atarimania.com/zoom_frame...=2&NUM_IMAGE=3

8)
    Last edited by Rom Hunter; 10-11-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What of the Mythicon games, then?
    They're terrible, but they do at least have a goal.
    Words-Attack just doesn't make any sense to play without word-pool.
    You can play it for ages without getting anywhere.
    Would be great if someone could program this in, btw.
    A finished version could turn into a really nice two player game IMO.

Do you have a scan or copy of the list in question?
    This old list can be found anywhere on the net.
    Here's a copy, for example:
    http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/arcade/at2600ls.htm
    Normally I don't rely on such old hat, incorrect info, but this list also has Magic Carpet listed as a Home Vision title, a title that has never shown up on any other list, but actually turned out to be a (announced) Home Vision title after all:
    http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...post&p=1486597

Yes, I agree - if the Funvision logo is in the HES version, then the Funvision version predates HES', but what about this sound problem that's mentioned on the entries?
    Good point.
    All I can say is that at this moment, the oldest known version is the Funvision version, not the HES, Zellers, Cooper Black or Quelle version.
    The weird thing is that this version is actually NTSC, instead of PAL and has speed up sound.
    Perhaps a PAL version exists as well somewhere, but AFAIK it hasn't surfaced yet.

We're standing in the darkest corners of foreign VCS games territory now.
    Really love this 'hobby'.

8)
    Last edited by Rom Hunter; 10-12-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the scoring system seems to work fine, as do the reserve lives:

letters = 1 point
    top row = 50 points
    all other objects = -1 point
    getting hit by fire from top row = -50 points

You can keep hitting the top objects and letters for points and simply ignore the word feature. There are many games that you can play for points (i.e. point scrabbing), while ignoring the intended "goal". In other words, even if the game was complete, going after the top row objects might have been the best way to rack up points, much like hunting saucers in Asteroids

Would be great if someone could program this in, btw.
    A finished version could turn into a really nice two player game IMO.

That would be cool to see. It doesn't appear that it needs much work to finish.

This old list can be found anywhere on the net.
    Here's a copy, for example:
    http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/arcade/at2600ls.htm
    Normally I don't rely on such old hat, incorrect info, but this list also has Magic Carpet listed as a Home Vision title, a title that has never shown up on any other list, but actually turned out to be a (announced) Home Vision title after all:
    http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...post&p=1486597

You mention in that thread that Robot Fight, Sky Alien, Topy, and Wall Break were originally Bit Corp games, although I don't see any Bit Corp entries for them (and Robot Fight is a hack of Missile Command, so it was originally an Atari game) - where did that info come from?

The weird thing is that this version is actually NTSC, instead of PAL and has speed up sound.
    That's because whoever did the PAL conversion didn't adjust the timing, which is a common problem with most conversions. The HES version runs slower overall. Generally, PAL conversions run 7% slower, and NTSC conversions run 10% faster. Try both versions and do this - start a game and keep pushing up. You'll hit the same enemy in both versions, at the same point in the music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mention in that thread that Robot Fight, Sky Alien, Topy, and Wall Break were originally Bit Corp games, although I don't see any Bit Corp entries for them (and Robot Fight is a hack of Missile Command, so it was originally an Atari game) - where did that info come from?
    I find it hard to believe that I said that.

Robot Fight is most probably the first VCS hack ever made (indeed a hack of Missile Command) and was first released (as a hack) by Dimax / Sinmax as Space Robot.

Sky Alien, Topy and Wall Break were most certainly not originally released by Bit Corporation.

These three titles are Home Vision originals.

Can you please tell/show me the post nr. from that thread?

8)
    Last edited by Rom Hunter; 10-12-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...c=63491&st=275

Some of the Home Vision titles are originally Bit Corp. games.

And there's Activision's Tennis of course.

True Home Vision titles that don't carry the Home Vision or R.J.P.G. logo are:

Asteroid Fire (also a Bomb game)
    Base Attack (also a Bomb game)
    Panda Chase
    Parachute
    Robot Fight
    Sky Alien (also a Bomb game)
    Topy
    Wall Break (also a Bomb game)

The last four Home Vision titles (originally Bit Corp games) all have the Home Vision logo on screen, but the review version of Jacky Jump (Bobby Is Going Home) still carries the Bit Corp logo.
    I'm assuming the "last 4" games are those you listed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's correct.
    I was talking about the last four titles of the list shown on post #1.

BTW: I'm going to do another examination of all the Challenge ROMs I know.
    Perhaps I can find out some more about the game's true origin.
    Quite a challenge indeed.

I will keep you informed.

8)