Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Super Fighter Team: Legend of Wukong (Genesis/Megadrive)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hmmmmm... I seem to be stuck again. I have wandered around for over an hour and can't figure out what to do.

I beat the Thousand Flower Cave, got Wujing and beat the Water Demon. Now I don't know what to do. One of the townsfolk says that if I want to sail I need to find a boatman or a captain or something like that. However, I have traveled to all 3 towns in the area, talked to everyone, and have gone and searched the pier that was close to the water demon but I can't seem to make any progress. Does anyone else know what to do?

Also I had a question for Super Fighter Team. I know that it took a lot of work to get Beggar Prince and Wukong released and I really REALLY appreciate it as I am having a blast playing them. However I was wondering if you had considered taking it a step further and designing a small strategy guide or Hint book similar to the small ones that came bundled with Sword of Vermilion and Phantasy Star II.

After being stuck on the Legend of Wukong several times it got me thinking about this. Even if you went ahead and sold the book seperately, I would gladly spend an additional 20 bucks for the guide. I know many people that buy a guide even if they don't "need" it, because it makes their game seem more complete and sometimes the guides have exclusive artwork and such. I know that this in itself would be a huge task but at the same time it would just be so cool. Not to mention I could quit posting my pleas for help when I get stuck in the game!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    One of the townsfolk says that if I want to sail I need to find a boatman or a captain or something like that.
    The boatman is in Rainbow Town, but he's a bit of a daydreamer so you'll need to bug him a bit.

I was wondering if you had considered taking it a step further and designing a small strategy guide or Hint book
    It would be expensive to produce and could only be ordered in large numbers, which makes it unfeasible.

However I don't mind giving free hints, as you've noticed.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Well that’s disappointing to hear that there is no hope of an official “Hint Book” but that just gives me more motivation to keep doing what I have been doing.

I am currently keeping track of various things in the game and jotting down notes here and there. Hopefully I can compile a small FAQ within the next few weeks because (as far as I know) this thread is the only source for people who get stuck in the game.

I also found what I believe to be a glitch in the Lama Mountain dungeon. There is a treasure chest that appears and disappears. Unfortunately the only time I could get it to appear was when a wall divided me from the chest. When I made my way around the wall it would disappear. Battles also seemed to affect its appearance. After a battle it would either disappear or after a few moments reappear. Unfortunately whenever I was on the “correct” side of the wall I could never get it to appear. I took some pictures and posted them below.

I’m curious if this is a glitch and even more curious to know what would happen if I somehow managed to open it!!! It sure would have been a clever place to hide that legendary “Glide Staff” an NPC told me so much about.

Here is the chest before a battle...

And after the battle...
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 01-02-2009 at 06:13 AM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    However I don't mind giving free hints, as you've noticed.
    And I am very VERY great full for this as I'm sure you have better things to be doing. It's great that not only do you have a fantastic company bringing these classic games to our shores, but also you make time to communicate with your customers.

If not for your help I'd still be searching for that boatman...

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be picking up a copy of Zaku for sure. Penguins! C'mon shooters, run n guns and action games! RPGs are great and all, just not my thing.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

I also found what I believe to be a glitch in the Lama Mountain dungeon. There is a treasure chest that appears and disappears.
    It's not a glitch. I originally thought it was, too, but when our programmer examined the routine he found that it was done that way on purpose. It may have been, the original designers wanted to place a few "magic chests" in the game, but never really got around to it.

The "secret" to making the chest appear has to do with timing. What's in it? If I remember right, it's a Taming Scroll, so don't get over-excited.

The original game did, however, have a few chests placed in locations where they could never be reached. While we were working on our reprogramming, we placed all of these chests in reachable areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The "secret" to making the chest appear has to do with timing. What's in it? If I remember right, it's a Taming Scroll, so don't get over-excited.
    Darn! I just knew the rumored Glide Staff or some other ultimate weapon was going to be in that chest. oh well...

The original game did, however, have a few chests placed in locations where they could never be reached. While we were working on our reprogramming, we placed all of these chests in reachable areas.
    Yeah. You all have done a great job. Other than the chest mentioned above, every chest I have seen I have been able to get to.

I also thought I had stumbled on some big secret when I entered 1000 Flower Cave. If you immediately go right when you first enter the cave you can walk through the wall. I thought that there was going to be a hidden chest or a shortcut or something but unfortunately my excitement was rewarded with a small dead end area... bummer...

As of now I am on chapter 6 and I'm maxed out at LVL. 50. However, I have no idea what to do. I went North of the town and I can't move the boulder in front of the "Tangled Web cave". so I headed East and the "Super Spider Magical Mirage Barrier" is blocking my rout North. All that left was to head South. So I went south and entered the Demons Cave but when it was all said and done all I found were chests. No special items to further my progress and no boss to kill.

So now all I have left is the Town, Tangled Web cave that I can't enter and the "Super Spider Magical Mirage Barrier" that blocks my progress to the rest of the continent. I have been through the Demons cave twice so I am confident I found everything to do there... Any help would be appreciated.

I must applaud you on some of the NPC dialog again! The "seasonal graphics" remark had me laughing so hard I woke my girl friend up. But its so true. I can't think of an example right now but I know I have seen it happen, or should I say, not happen in other games as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got stuck in the same place. After awhile I finally found another city in the southeast part of the map, where a very narrow path I didn't think I could walk past was the key.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up Zebbe. I'll give it a shot here in a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Hello.

I went south and entered the Demons Cave but when it was all said and done all I found were chests.
    You don't need to worry about the Demon Valley... yet.

I have been through the Demons cave twice so I am confident I found everything to do there... Any help would be appreciated.
    As Zebbe said, there's a path further south from the Demon Valley. It doesn't look crossable, but it is. Squeeze past, and you'll come to the Fairy Spring.

I must applaud you on some of the NPC dialog again! The "seasonal graphics" remark had me laughing so hard I woke my girl friend up. But its so true.
    Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I feel like a moron asking all these questions. It's just that I can't stand wandering aimlessly and that's what I have been doing the past hour.

I found the town and the Fairy Spring in the South as you both described. I beat the monster and got the weapon from him. I then used that weapon to split the rock in front of Tangled Web Cave. In the cave I have killed every Spider I can find. I even trekked back through it and mapped it out to make sure I missed nothing. As far as I can tell I got and killed everything. But I'm not sure what to do now.

All the towns folk say the same thing and the "Spider Barrier" is still blocking the rout North. Do I need to go back to the "Demon Valley" that I went to earlier and looted chests? There is no inclination that I need to go there yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ok... Never mind I figured it out.

It seems I did have to go back to Demons Vally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Well, I finally beat Wukong! It took me 25 hours and 12 minutes.

I gotta say that I thought the game itself was a standard, bare-bones, by the book RPG. Normally I would have lost interest before completing the game but the quirky translation spiced it up just enough for me to keep pressing on!

Other than Zakku, I look forward to seeing what project you will tackle next! Whatever it is, I wish Super Fighter Team the best of luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you count the time yourself? Or did I miss an in-game clock?

I agree with you on the game, but what pressed me on was the classic exploration element of old school RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Did you count the time yourself? Or did I miss an in-game clock?
    Final Fantasy III on the SNES was the first RPG that I played that had an in-game clock. Ever since, if I play an RPG that doesn't (Like Wukong) then I jot down all my play sessions in a notebook and add up the time after wards.

So no, you didn't miss an in game clock. It just bugs me when I don't know how long it took me to beat a RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Video Game Trader magazine published a "first look" at Legend of Wukong in this month's issue, written by me. Their only error was to print that the game was due for release in early 2009. In fact, it was released officially on December 03, 2008.

*** Video Game Trader's "first look" at Legend of Wukong ***

Thanks for your attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

When I played through Legend of Wukong I wrote down lots of notes covering BASIC information (Stats, Item lists). The game is fairly linear so I saw no need to write a step by step walkthrough.

I had the intention of submitting it to Gamefaqs but they rejected it and said that there wasn't enough content. Sure I could "artificially" inflate the file by typing out the story, the controls and doing some ASCII art... but why? They didn't even have an FAQ for the game yet. I mean SOMETHING is better than nothing, right?

Well, regardless I'm gonna post the info that I recorded so at least there is SOMETHING out there that people may or may not find useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Here is a list of all the Items you will come across in chests. The items are
    listed by Chapter and Dungeon. They are also listed *Mostly* in the order in
    which I found them. One thing to note is that there are magic chests in the
    game. They are placed in dungeons just like regular chests but they will
    sometimes disappear and reappear. It is possible I missed a few of these, but
    I believe I found them all.

I have hidden the text so it is spoiler free! If you wish to view a particular section just highlight it.

+---------------------+
    |Chapter 1: Time Warp |
    +---------------------+
    Underground Cave-
    (x2) Antidote Pill, (x2) Green Tea, Wooden Staff, Wooden Rake

Black Gale Cave-
    Turban, Flying Boots, Steel Staff, Green Tea, Antidote Pill, Flat Peach, Life Pill

+----------+
    |Chapter 2 |
    +----------+
    Thousand Flower Cave-
    (x3) Green Tea, Fancy Turban

+--------------------+
    |Chapter 3: Confusion |
    +--------------------+
    Temple of Grace-
    Speed Stone, MP Stone, Dew of Life, Platinum Helm, Spirit Herb

Demon Forest-
    Gold Mail, Gold Staff, Green Tea, Ginseng Fruit, Deity Grass

Underground Tunnel-
    Defense Stone, Platinum Mail, Cloud Shoes, Flat Peach

+--------------------+
    |Chapter 4: Adversity |
    +--------------------+
    Lotus Cave-
    Spring Water, Platinum Helm, Deity Grass, Stealth Grass, Taming Scroll

Lama Mountain-
    Speed Stone, Dragon Helm, Dragon Staff, Spirit Herb, Magic Jewel, Deity Grass, Taming Scroll*

* This is a Magic chest and is covered earlier in this thread.

+------------------------+
    |Chapter 5: Demon Taming|
    +------------------------+
    The Giant Tree-
    Cloud Shoes, Turtle Armor, MP Stone, Taming Scroll, Ginseng Fruit, HP Stone

Fiery Cloud Cave-
    Cloud Shoes, Crystal Mail, Deity Grass, Dew of Life, Magic Mirror, MP Stone, Life Pill

+----------------------+
    |Chapter 6: Going Home |
    +----------------------+
    Fairy Spring-
    Magic Jewel, Stealth Grass, Spirit Herb, Speed Stone, Antidote Pill, Flat Peach, Spring Water

Tangled Web Cave-
    Sea God Staff, Defense Stone, Sacred Armor, Antidote Pill, Great Tonic, Attack Stone, Spirit Herb

Demon Vally-
    (x2) MP Stone, Cloud Shoes, Magic Mirror, Magic Jewel, Illusion Shoes, Spirit Herb

Banana Cave-
    Gold Mail, Gold Staff, Green Tea, Ginseng Fruit, Deity Grass

Light Flames Mountain-
    No chests

Thunder Mountain-
    Holy Sword, Defense Stone, Dragon Armor, Antidote Pill, Great Tonic, Attack Stone, Spirit Herb

Thunder Mountain Is the final dungeon in the game. Once you kill the boss prepare for one wacky ending!!!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome! Keep'em coming!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr View Post
    Why can't people do this for the Super Famicom/SNES?! THEN I'd be all over it!!!

Does anyone know why there seems to be a focus on the MD/GEN?
    The CIC chip(s) for SNES haven't been duplicated yet. That, and other specialized chips in certain SNES games haven't been either.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!