Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not able to Finish Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Not able to Finish Games

This is about those games where you thought you were doing good, and you got far in it, but can't go back unless you restart it. You could have to restart because you saved in a bad place, or the game has so much stuff to do (like special moves and stuff), that you would practically have to go back and restart just to get a feel for the game again.

I got reminded of this from another thread and just wondered if anybody else is like this.

The game I can't go back to: Blue Stinger.

Here is the reason:
    I was playing the game, and was at some point where there was a fire coming, but there was a save point there while I was running from the fire. I thought, "Gee, if I am running from this fire, I better save it now so that in case I die, I will be partially through running away from this fire." What I did not know what that I took too long to save it, so right when I load the save, the fire engulfs me and I die. I even tried using my Gameshark, but apparently none of the god mode gameshark stuff works, because I still die.

Going back to the game means to start over, which really sucks. This is a game I have not touched in over 2 years because I know that it will suck to go back through and get that far.

Anybody else have a situation in a game like that (Soul Reaver is one with my roommate).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Tomb Raider: Legend

I'm about 50% through the game but I pushed a switch at the wrong time and then I saved so I can't kill a boss. I was enjoying the game but I don't want to have to play all the way through the game again.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The dumbest part about console games - especially non-western ones - is that they almost never have any sort of "quest log." There's no record of what you've done, specifically.

So if you're playing Zelda OoT, and want to run around and get all the pieces of heart, but you have three left to get - and you put the game down and haven't been keeping a notebook / checklist or something describing where you found all the ones you have...you're going to be checking all locations for all potential heart pieces and playing all those stupid minigames all over again.

If it's an RPG with numerous side-quests, you're screwed. You'll have to look up an FAQ to even begin to piece together where you are in the game, and even then, there are probably a lot of things you just won't be able to figure out.

That kind of crap is annoying.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Multiple games or sequels ...

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    The dumbest part about console games - especially non-western ones - is that they almost never have any sort of "quest log." There's no record of what you've done, specifically.
    Imagine this with multiple cartridges or multiple disks ...

If it's an RPG with numerous side-quests, you're screwed. You'll have to look up an FAQ to even begin to piece together where you are in the game, and even then, there are probably a lot of things you just won't be able to figure out.

That kind of crap is annoying.
    This seems a lot of fun ... At least it is what some persons believe when "it ONLY" involved other characters/persons !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

im usually "playing" through like 10-15 rpgs at any given time sometimes one gets put down for a few months or years thats primetime for a restart haha. i find this is the biggest pitfall of having a large collection of games, i always play something different.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

I find this problem with RPGs. I start a game and get into it then the reality of "normal everyday life" interupts. By the time I get back to it, I really need to restart just to remember what the story is all about and how to deal with the gameplay.
    Number 2 problem with RPGs is, I see and purchase another RPG that looks good and get into it making me forget the "other one" that I had going on. Rinse, Repeat.

Most recent problem was I had a memory card to die on me, loosing several RPG saves, one of them being FFXII. uugh!

And yes, having a big collection of games becomes a problem when wanting to restart one. Which one to choose first?
    Two games that I did manage to get through, uninterupted, and glad I did was FFIX and Ico.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

This happened to me last year while playing X-Men Legends. I made a bad save (my characters were weak and near enemies) and basically I had to restart the game from the beginning.

Doesn't really happen to me with RPGs. Sure I'm a bit lost at first if it's been a while, but I usually end up figuring out what I was up to... or I just start the game over because it's been too long.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It happened to me when my Saturn battery died on me, in return I lost my saves. Which means I would have to start over my game of Magic Knight Rayearth. It's rather annoying to redo everything >.<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jennatar
    PSN
    jennatar

If the game's title starts with the words "Final Fantasy Tactics," you can bet it's a game I played for hours upon hours, then stopped short.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by retro junkie View Post
    I find this problem with RPGs. I start a game and get into it then the reality of "normal everyday life" interupts. By the time I get back to it, I really need to restart just to remember what the story is all about and how to deal with the gameplay.

This is why I keep a gaming journal and highly recommend others do, too. ESPECIALLY for RPGs. I started Brandish (SNES) some time in '06, got through probably 15% of the game, but then never played it again til a year later or so. Thanks to my writing important notes about the game plot and play, I was able to pick it up rather quickly when I resumed playing. Then I got hooked on it, and finished it pretty much uninterrupted. It sat in my SNES until I delivered the final blow. It was one of the most satisfying solo gaming experiences I had in a long time.

Keeping an RPG journal is highly recommended.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'm stuck in Zelda Ocarina of Time. In the Water Temple, I'm supposed to have some sort of key but I can't find it. I spent two days looking for it, and I think I know where it is,but I have to lower the water level and ther's no way to do it anymore. Augh. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I don't have the patience anymore to deal with new, complex RPG's. For some reason, I like more simple RPG's. Something I can complete faster.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good idea about the journal Steven, though I don't know what exactly I would write down? Do you have a structure you follow?

For me, it's probably the classic, FFVII. Started going down the crater w/o enough leveling up and my party gets slaughtered after the 1st or 2nd enemy encounter. It's something I would like to finish someday...but I haven't touched it in about 4 years :/ so I don't know if it will ever happen sadly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It happened to me once in ALUDRA ...

I saved the game in a normal place and had nothing to cure myself ... i did not know that after crossing a door i had to fight one of the final bosses :S

I restarted the game and finished it, but i kept that game save and still could not beat that monster :S
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fpbrush View Post
    Good idea about the journal Steven, though I don't know what exactly I would write down? Do you have a structure you follow?

I usually play RPGs 1 hour at a time, minimum. I'm pretty good at keeping track in my mind of what happens in that play, so I don't need to stop every 15 minutes to jot something down. I basically play the whole session (say 90 minutes) then at the end after saving, I immediately jot down my latest game playing experience. I first list the date and time I played this latest session. Then I jot down basically the most interesting/important info I discovered on this latest playthrough. Important items I might have secured, any bosses defeated, interesting bits of dialogue/funky characters I encountered, etc.

It doesn't have to be super detailed. But just noting down a few lines of notable gameplay is worth it, then when you look back on it years from now, it's kinda cool. You have a gaming journal/log basically, and you go "Wow, it's been 2 years since I beat Game X..."

If you want to be even more ambitious, write down personal life stuff happening at that time too, just a quick note, so when you gloss over you go "Wow, I was dating that girl Tiffany when I was playing Game X" or "Wow, I can't believe I used to like her when I was playing this game".... might sound corny to some, but it's a historical archive, and I personally love that.

EDIT: I have an article on my site about keeping a game journal that's more detailed than this post, so feel free to check it out

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7443/78601.html

Last edited by Steven; 09-29-2008 at 03:06 PM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slightly different, but about two years ago I was playing through Jade Empire and really enjoying it. I had just (I don't know where the SPOILER button is, so SPOILER!) gotten past the part where the area you start in is attacked and lit on fire, and went to the second city. I took a few steps out, and it freezes on me. My xbox was acting up at the time, so i just swore and reloaded. It froze again. I shut it off and booted it back up, took a few steps, and it froze again. I tried about twenty times with the same result, and tried about 30 times the next day to no avail. A few months ago I try it again for the hell of it, and it did it again. I was quite pissed over that one.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I always have at least 3 save slots on my memory card when I play most modern games just because I don't want to get stuck. I've gone back to Persona 3 several times, but I never got stuck for that reason, and I'm doing the same thing with Yakuza 2 right now.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Several years go back my brother-in-law (16 at the time) was visiting us and had created a save file in a really bad spot on my copy of Nobunaga's Ambition for the Game Boy. The only two daimyos left were he (as Nobunaga) and Tokugawa, who was an ally and had a better fief than my brother-in-law. No matter how he managed his turn, when play passed to Tokugawa the AI would break the alliance, invade his fief and decimate his forces. Absolute non-winner, and I must have watched the poor kid try two or three dozen different things to at least trigger a random event rather than an attack. No such luck.

To this day, every now and then when I talk to him on the phone I'll joke by telling him that Lord Tokugawa sends his regards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Several years go back my brother-in-law (16 at the time) was visiting us and had created a save file in a really bad spot on my copy of Nobunaga's Ambition for the Game Boy. The only two daimyos left were he (as Nobunaga) and Tokugawa, who was an ally and had a better fief than my brother-in-law. No matter how he managed his turn, when play passed to Tokugawa the AI would break the alliance, invade his fief and decimate his forces. Absolute non-winner, and I must have watched the poor kid try two or three dozen different things to at least trigger a random event rather than an attack. No such luck.

To this day, every now and then when I talk to him on the phone I'll joke by telling him that Lord Tokugawa sends his regards.
    That's absolutely hilarious... well, the phone bit anyway. That which you mentioned above? Total screw-overness. :X

This happened to me in Final Fantasy VI, where I was really into the game and got far into it... then my interest waned as I went desperately hunting for a hyper-rare item: The Economizer, reducing the cast of ALL magic to 1 MP, dropped only by a Brachiosaur as the rare drop. The dinosaur ain't all that common either, so I failed to find it after many tries, and I drifted away from the game for about six months or so. When I got back into it, and I DID get the Economizer, it made the game too easy in conjunction with the Gem Box, where I had Terra cast Ultima twice per round for only 2 MP. So, after it all, I probably would have been better off ignoring the item in the first place. *Kefka laugh*

Also, I got past the obligatory "sad song" in Ouendan 2, but didn't go on to beat the rest afterwards. It's been a month now, so I should probably re-do the entire list. >_<
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I'm stuck in Zelda Ocarina of Time. In the Water Temple, I'm supposed to have some sort of key but I can't find it. I spent two days looking for it, and I think I know where it is,but I have to lower the water level and ther's no way to do it anymore. Augh. :\
    its in the central tower under the block that raises with the water. I know the key your talking about haha. let me know if i got it right that would rock.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle