Thread: What can you do with a PSP and a PS3? School me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What can you do with a PSP and a PS3? School me.

I hear that the PSP and the PS3 have a surprising amount of interactivity. What can you get the PS3 to do with your PSP?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

• If you've purchased a PS1 game on either via the PSN, you can transfer it over (a copy will remain on both) to up to 5 PS3s or PSPs.
    • If your PS3 is connected to a high-speed internet connection, you can remotely access the PS3 from any wi-fi spot in the world and access the XMB and all the contents of the HDD.
    • That means, you can play all the audio and video files on your PS3 system on your PSP from anywhere in the world with a Wi-Fi connection ...
    • You can also play any DVD (and I think BluRay disc) sitting in your drive,
    • play any PS1 game thats in your system's drive,
    • play PSP compatible PS3 PSN network games like Pixeljunk Monsters, Eden, High Stakes Poker, etc.
    • access the PSN store and make purchases (start downloading on the road and by the time you get home your games will be installed!)
    • access the PS3's web browser (which is more robust and has a MUCH larger data cache than the PSPs)
    • send PMs or live chat with other PS3 users (using the system keyboard ... not sure if the PSP mic works)
    • If you have an Eye Toy or Playstation Eye camera hooked up - you can activate it and use your PSP as a remote home monitoring system.
    • And if you have your PS3 home-networked with your PC, you can access all the Audio and Video data on your entire network ... which means, if you have open access to a WiFi connection where you are, you could have a portable media device with INFINITELY more stuff on it than any iPod on the market.
    • Currently the PS3 needs to go into a "hibernation" type mode to be able to wake/sleep via the PSP connecting over the internet, which means that your PS3 will consume a minimal amount of power while in "sleep mode".

I'm sure there are some other creative things you could do with the PS3/PSN connection ... but all of the above should get you started on "cool stuff" it can do.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-01-2008 at 03:07 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I mainly use it to transfer PSN PS1 games and family guy episodes. You can also download full versions of retail PSP games to save on your memory stick but I'm the type that would rather have the physical copy myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow... thanks!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I simply enjoy playing a game on my PSP, that is running on my PS3 which is 2 floors down from where I am. (sick in bed, as an example) It was cool to see Gran Turismo on my PSP screen. The problem with THAT game, btw, is that the PSP stick severely oversteers your car to the point where you can't really play GT on the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I love connecting my PSP to my PS3 via Wi-Fi. However, I've never been able to do it via Internet. How do I do it exactly? It says I need to sign in to PSN on both my PS3 and PSP. Does that mean I need to turn my PS3 on whenever I leave the house?
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    I love connecting my PSP to my PS3 via Wi-Fi. However, I've never been able to do it via Internet. How do I do it exactly? It says I need to sign in to PSN on both my PS3 and PSP. Does that mean I need to turn my PS3 on whenever I leave the house?

• Register your PSP with your PS3 via USB cable and "Register Device" mode
    • Put your PS3 into "Remote Play" mode (either manually, or via the option to always go into RP mode when powered down)
    • Go to "remote play" on your PSP
    • Select "via internet" and select your WiFi access point
    • Log into the PSN using the same email and password that your PS3 PSN network account uses

And in tinkering, I see that you can't play DVDs or BRDs that are sitting in your systems drive. You can play any ripped video resident on your HDD, but as far as discs, only music CDs or PS1 games appear to work via Remote Play.

AND Here's an interesting easter egg ... when accessing Life With Playstation via remote play via the PSP, it recognizes that fact and shows a PSP control layout when booting up instead of a PS3 controller!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-07-2008 at 05:09 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Awesome. I've been trying to figure that out since I got my 20GB back in April. Wi-Fi connected without any problems, I was just having issues with trying to connect via Internet.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Two new semi-recent announcements from Sony on the (near) future compatibility of PSP and PS3.

1.) (I assume all) PSP games that were previously only Ad-Hoc (local multiplayer) will now have lobbies on the PS3 PSN that will allow internet multiplayer via a future PSP/PS3 firmware upgrade.

2.) PSPs hooked up to a TV for on-TV gameplay in the same room as a PS3 will be able to be controlled via a PS3 Sixaxis or Dualshock 3 also via a future PSP/PS3 firmware. *edit* Resistance : Retribution is the first game to use the PSP Plus feature set as it's called.

Awesome news if you ask me.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-11-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Where'd you see that?

I know Resistance for the PSP will allow you to link it up to a PS3 to use a Dual Shock 3 with rumble and the second analog stick enabled, but I hadn't seen anything on it being a feature throughout the PSP lineup. Everything I've seen (As in maybe two articles at two different sites) makes it sound like a feature limited to Resistance since they don't talk about it beyond that title.

Good news if true, I was disappointed when tv/out first came along on the 2000 models without the capability of using Dual Shock controllers, was much of the reason I didn't upgrade (Along with my 1000 being less than a half year old at the time).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Where'd you see that?

I know Resistance for the PSP will allow you to link it up to a PS3 to use a Dual Shock 3 with rumble and the second analog stick enabled, but I hadn't seen anything on it being a feature throughout the PSP lineup. Everything I've seen (As in maybe two articles at two different sites) makes it sound like a feature limited to Resistance since they don't talk about it beyond that title.

Good news if true, I was disappointed when tv/out first came along on the 2000 models without the capability of using Dual Shock controllers, was much of the reason I didn't upgrade (Along with my 1000 being less than a half year old at the time).
    Yeah, you're right, I misread the article I saw, But I see no reason why that wouldn't work on all games if they intergrated it into the firmware.