Thread: Just Topload it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just Topload it.

Both my NES's havent been working with some games lately(figures.) and i was wondering, do the games have a better chance of working in a toploading NES? I REALLY WANT TO KNOW.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no its the other way around, the toploader has a better chance of working than the NES. the games dont figure into it except for some games which i have heard will not work on toploader but do work on the NES...the toploaders claim to fame is no more blinking red light!
    ________
    Free Xxx Rated Movies
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Oh but the contacts get so dirty so fast. The ones I've had in the past have had 'lines' when you start them up so I have to open them up and clean the inside of the contacts to get the 'lines' to go away.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, the toploaders just get rid of flicker and don't make nonworking games work. However, one of my buds plays his toploader like a fiend and it stills works after all this time, so maybe they do last longer. I know with the more modern systems that later releases of the system tend to have fewer problems, so perhaps the same is true with the NES.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kev-
    It's not quite that with the NES.

The more common front loading system didn't use direct contact when you insert and remove the game cart, only when the cart is pressed down. Because of the the contact flexes more in the front loading NES than any other and over the time it usually gets bent out of shape. Using Game Genie speeds up the damage.

Adding to the problem is since there's no actual rubbing of the contact, dirt and grime builds up more easily.

Top loading NES is designed the same way as virtually any other cart based system, there's direct contact with the connector during insertation and removal, minimal flexing, and some rubbing action from inserting and removing helps break down the build up so it ends up not needing maitenance as much.

You can convert the front loading NES into a pseduo-top loading by either soldering a Game Genie directly or taking the connector off the Game Genie and adding it to the mainboard's connector. I've thought of doing this for a while.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can always do what I did:

Get an NES front loader. Clean it up from the inside, and then:

- Order new 72 pin connector directly from the manufacturer (not eBay!) Sorry.. forgot the name
    - Do the NES chip mod to make it international (HA! NES Beat PSone in regards to mod chip!)

Result: You can play any NES game from around the world, and game you insert into the NES don't even need to be pressed down! think of it as a top-side-loader.

Works like a CHARM!

LK

P.S. A true collector will also but the special 3.8mm cart opener, and a good white eraser. Use the white eraser to clean the contacts when you open the cart. Now it'll work for YEARS like new.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, the toploaders just get rid of flicker and don't make nonworking games work.
    What i was asking was if it got rid of flicker, and you didnt have to jiggle the game around to get it to work. And if you got it to work on the first or second try.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by GENESISNES
    What i was asking was if it got rid of flicker, and you didnt have to jiggle the game around to get it to work. And if you got it to work on the first or second try.
    To answer that question, yes. That exactly why they are so in demand b/c that's exactly what they do.

I had the lines problem Achika was talking about and I tried cleaning the hell out of mine, but I still have the lines. I was told this was due to the top loader not having all the RF shielding like the "toaster" does. If that's the case, I'd suggest just referbing a toaster rather than sinking the way inflated money into a top loader b/c the lines are really annoying to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone have a link to a site that instructs clearly how to pull of a toaster to top-load mod?

I've only seen sites from people who're proud they've pulled it off, never instructions on how-to.

-CJ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, someone should do a be-all, end-all NES cleaning post and sticky it. I see this topic every week. (not a bad thing mind you, but it gets tiring re-typing everything.)