Thread: What are your experiences when playing a Driving game ? (Left or Right side)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow What are your experiences when playing a Driving game ? (Left or Right side)

When a game is localized for use on the United Kingdom or in the Japanese archipelago it think that their should use the left side of the track. In the American way their drive into the opposite side (right).

Someone told that this is from the time of the Knights and has something to do with the hearth of the knights. But I am not sure if this is the truth.

What are the cars and games that use this type of orientation !? Any good first hand experience ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gosh I hadn't thought much about this... I realized awhile back during a race on a japanese course in Gran Turismo 3 that I tend to just always drive right down the center of whatever raceway I'm on. I actually tried staying in a lane while driving 100+ MPH but it proved difficult..

..just like real life. Look out people, Ford Focus blazin' through! I need all 6 lanes! -__-

not the answer you were looking for, I know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

As above, I drive in either lane as it is so whether the games go for realism (which I think they should in this instance) or not, it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In some driving games there's less traffic in the oncoming lanes anyway, so it's easier to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's about mobile phone games? Wasn't those supposed to have a ("left") correct way !? Anyway, a lot of places can not download those games or buy the licenses (register) to play ...

By the way, I meant Heart in the original post. The thing that is on the left side of the body !!!
    Last edited by Yukio; 10-04-2008 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Heart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you're talking about racing games, there's no point to this thread. You follow the racing line, you don't hug one side of the track for the entire way around the course. That's not how you race, you're not going into a game like Gran Turismo for a leisurely drive through the countryside, you're on a racetrack.

If you're talking about traffic on a game like Grand Theft Auto or The Italian Job for the PSOne, it should follow the patterns the locations they're modeling in real life do. So the right hand side if its Vice City set modeled after Miami, or left if its London in The Italian Job.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Gosh I hadn't thought much about this... I realized awhile back during a race on a japanese course in Gran Turismo 3 that I tend to just always drive right down the center of whatever raceway I'm on. I actually tried staying in a lane while driving 100+ MPH but it proved difficult..
    Huh? You go as fast as you can using every inch of paved real estate you have to use. You're saying you actually tried to race while hugging the right side of the road? lol

No wonder it proved difficult, its wrong and the slowest possible way to race around a track. You realize there isn't on coming traffic on the left side of the track, right?

Watch this lap of Massa around Monza in his F1 Ferrari from a couple of years ago to get a idea of what racing is about. You're not playing a driving simulation, you're playing a racing simulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcUGC_GoVnc
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.