Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Last edited by TurboGenesis; 10-05-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess there is the towel trick which you wrapped your 360 console tighty in towels and wait for it to overheat, it should go 3ROD or that is what I heard..would never try it myself but heard others that did, if that dosen't work just keep it on for an ex amount of hours and it might go red rings on you.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sledgehammer. Should work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

yeah I agree with the towel trick. Or wrap it up in some sort of heat retaining cloth/blanket to cause it to overheat and die.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

you dont think MS has lost enough cash on this without pissants like you trying to rip them off? the console works, has for 3 years. be happy asshat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    you dont think MS has lost enough cash on this without pissants like you trying to rip them off? the console works, has for 3 years. be happy asshat.
    I agree. If it has lasted 3 years no problems why ruin a good thing? There are people out there that can fix it if it goes haywire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Putting it a poorly vented place or blocking the exhaust port.

I kinda agree though, your system works fine and it may continue to not fail if it hasn't by now so why do it?
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Mine made it a year then died its been about a year or two since then and now the disc drive is messed up so keep in mind you may run into other problems besides RROD this thing truly is a POS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Talking

I got it!

I got a sexy RROD after trying to set the factory default settings or something. *googling what I did* Hmm..it looks like it resets HDD stuff too...maybe remove it before you do this...However, I tried this without removing HDD and nothing happened BUT I got a "pop" noise and a really sweet RROD. Basically its - Hold Y on your controller while powering up your 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I would highly suggest keeping your system and not wasting your time trying to deal with MS.

Reasons why:

1. your system works, and has been working. unless you're having any issues you didn't mention, you have a solid machine.

2. you will be without a 360 for at least 1.5 to 2 weeks, my brother spent over a month and a half waiting for his replacement. this is not the time to do this, all of the great fall games are coming out.

3. you will get a refurbished system back, which can very well end up being less reliable than your current one.

4. the price has dropped to $200 for a core system right? worst case you just buy a new one and get a brand new warranty.

5. people that play the system ususally end up getting something far worse in retaliation down the road. I'm not a religious man by any means, but I do believe in a karma system, and this is not the way to keep things on your side.

Anyway, good luck- the best way is to probably wrap it up and leave it in an enclosed space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger
    I do believe in a karma system, and this is not the way to keep things on your side.
    Microsoft made the idiotic choice of producing a problematic system so bad karma to them, in my opinion it's what they deserve. There is a very high possibility that his system will fail soon so I don't see the problem with him forcing it to fail before it fails after his warranty expires.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What happens if it breaks but not the rrod?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    Microsoft made the idiotic choice of producing a problematic system so bad karma to them, in my opinion it's what they deserve. There is a very high possibility that his system will fail soon so I don't see the problem with him forcing it to fail before it fails after his warranty expires.
    Microsoft did what they could in order to get their system out as cheaply as possible to hit the marketplace before everyone else. In turn they changed exactly what a console's online experience should be, and have benefited gamers as a whole.

The PS2 had similar hardware failure problems, except Sony didn't offer nearly as generous of a coverage plan as MS did.

If his system has been working great for 3 years, and he puts a decent amount of use on it, I'm sure he will be fine for another couple of years. If he breaks his system and gets a refurb, the refurb will have what... 90 days on it? After that, guess what- he's out of luck! I would rather have my own broken system instead of someone elses refurbished broken system. I know they don't give you another 3 years on the refurb system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Does it have to RROD? I mean, my system RRoD's for at least a month before it actually died for the last time. You can just 'say' it RRoD'd a few times...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years for customers who have problematic systems. It's a backwards solution, but they've chosen to foot the large bill involved in such a decision to maintain customer loyalty. If someone who has a system that works perfectly for 3 years tries to break their console on purpose in order to take advantage of this, that's patently dishonest, and talk of Microsoft deserving "bad karma" for something that didn't even affect them is merely justifying opportunism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    Microsoft did what they could in order to get their system out as cheaply as possible to hit the marketplace before everyone else. In turn they changed exactly what a console's online experience should be, and have benefited gamers as a whole.

The PS2 had similar hardware failure problems, except Sony didn't offer nearly as generous of a coverage plan as MS did.
    Ok, let's look at it as balance:

Microsoft made a faulty system (-1)---->Three years later they start fixing them, nice thing to do (+1) = (0).

If his system if faulty and since Microsoft didn't put a good warranty time on it I think he deserves to have it fixed if it breaks down, whether it does automatically or is intentionally caused by TurboGenesis. It's what microsoft deserves and should do to get away from being at -1.

I don't know about everyone else but having great online features isn't going to change my mind about their mistake...or pay for the $200 for a new one if it stops working after the warranty expires.

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger
    If his system has been working great for 3 years, and he puts a decent amount of use on it, I'm sure he will be fine for another couple of years. If he breaks his system and gets a refurb, the refurb will have what... 90 days on it? After that, guess what- he's out of luck! I would rather have my own broken system instead of someone elses refurbished broken system. I know they don't give you another 3 years on the refurb system.
    At least a refurbished console (if I've been reading things correctly) will be fixed the way the system should have been made when it was first launched, meaning less of a chance of having problems than a three year old system.

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    What happens if it breaks but not the rrod
    Then it's not Microsoft's fault and the owner should be able to tell if it was a RROD failure (red rings).
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Ok, let's look at it as balance:

Microsoft made a faulty system (-1)---->Three years later they start fixing them, nice thing to do (+1) = (0).

If his system if faulty and since Microsoft didn't put a good warranty time on it I think he deserves to have it fixed if it breaks down, whether it does automatically or is intentionally caused by TurboGenesis. It's what microsoft deserves and should do to get away from being at -1.

I don't know about everyone else but having great online features isn't going to change my mind about their mistake...or pay for the $200 for a new one if it stops working after the warranty expires.
    MS stared the repair program in July 2007, so thats about a year and a half after it launched. Because they exended the warranty to 3 years this means people should intentionally break their system to make MS repair their console? It's there for people that need it, and most people wont need it- there is not a 100% defect rate in the original model 360! I know many people who are on -original- systems, and a few who have needed to get their system replaced. If your system works, and you have put good amounts of time on it, you probably have a *good* system- it's not like a ticking time bomb waiting for your warranty to run out.

By your logic, because most drivers pay for car insurance they should all get into accidents to make sure they get the true value out of their policy?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    Shoot, I say let's all, even those that just bought one, do the towel trick tonight and spike the number of repairs for MS just out of spite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't have a clue why you'd do this. You'll get back someone else's repaired console, with who knows what damage just lurking under the surface or how much abuse it's sufferred.

You don't know if the person dropped it once and damaged things that are just waiting to now break, that was repaired just to fix whatever immediate problem it had (Such as the 3 red rings error). Or get someone's console whose disc drive is in its final days due to playing so many DVD's over the past few years, that was repaired to fix some other problem and is now waiting to be sent off to replace the next guy's 360.

If you've taken care of it and its been error free, why basically exchange it for something from a unknown source that's been broken and had to be repaired. MS neither has the time or the ability to guage how much life is left in every component of the 360 you'll get. They fix the immediate problem and move on, shipping it out to the next person that required warranty service with a replacement serial number on the label.

You'll likely not be receiving your console back, even if the serial numbers match. Nor will you be receiving a new console even if the date on the label indicates its very recent, that from the sounds of it is just something they apply to serviced 360's now to indicate when it was last worked on.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-04-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Last edited by TurboGenesis; 10-05-2008 at 12:54 AM.