Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Console Launches - Favorite thing about them...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

Default Console Launches - Favorite thing about them...

I couldnt really put together a good title but I have been surfing the web the past few weeks looking for info on the next gen XBOX. I know, I know, its way too early to think about it but to be honest I just enjoy console launches. I love all the talk and hype that goes around and I enjoy watching G4 and reading forums daily on updates. I have been thru a lot of launches but I have to be honest I think the one that was the most fun in recent years was the 360 launch. No real reason, I just enjoyed trying to find a Wal Mart that had them and enjoyed all the hype that led up to it. I guess that is the real reason I have gotten in the spirit lately since its been almost 3 years next month since that launch.

I guess I really started this thread to see if anyone else gets siked for a launch just because of the event itself. Yes I know we get new games every week but no games are as hyped as a console nor is it as fun to stand outside for 8-10 hours waiting for it.

So what do you guys think? What are your fondest memories at a launch? What was your favorite? Do you feel the way I do about just being excited about all the hype?

Jeff
    (As you can tell I am pretty bored at work today)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My favorite launches were definetely N64 and Dreamcast.

Going to TRU and playing Mario and Sonic in full 3-D for the first time ever I don't think will ever be topped, they had so many systems lined up against the wall too and everyone was playing, it was cool.

I would say the N64 topped Dreamcast, but not by much if I had to pick one over the other. Mainly because N64 came out before Dreamcast so the whole 3-D thing wasn't as amazing, but still Sega launched the system with brilliance, no denying that.

I remember the Sega Saturn launch as well, it was so weird. It launched like 3 months before it was supposed to and was just sitting there with no demo's or anything, I bought it out of pure, omg I can get a Saturn before launch, lol.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The n64 was the first time I ever preordered a console. Some coworkers and I played a SM64 demo over lunch and I went out to preorder right then. My roommate and friends played the heck out of it. Really good times.

The Wii launch was kind of fun, because it was the only time I'd ever camped out for a console. Some guys in line brought a TV and we watched movies, played some 'Cube games, and made a good night of it. Probably won't do that again, though it was memorable.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

n64 launch is special to me even though I didn't go to a launch my parents did to ensure I got one of the first batch-also my first console. Aside from that I usually get my consoles a few months after launch (except psp that I got the next day)

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

I have only been to one lanuch. That being the Grand Theft Auto IV.. It was great, I waited in line like 2hrs. I was like 7th in line, talked to a few people.
    I was hoping to go to MGS4 Lanuch & Meet Hideo Kojima, but sadly I could not go. . So I was hoping to Midnight Launch @ Gamestop, but Nope The Power was out in store, so they never opened. Again.
    I Hope to go when PS4 lanuches, I always wanted to camp out for a system. So with that said
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii launch is the only one I actually waited for.
    My girlfriend, her brother,his friend, and I waited in Wal-Mart for 15 hours. While most people were outside in the cold, Wal-Mart let us stay in the old lay-away department. We watched The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, a football game, Cars, and The Little Mermaid. We ordered pizza, played chess, played our DS's, and really bonded with some cool Nintendo fans. We was tight yo.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 360 one was a memorable one. Me and all my friends it was cold as the dickens and none of us have the original console we stood in the freezing rain to get. .
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man...how old are some of you guys?

Most "modern" console launches have been a pain in the ass...

It seemed to start with the N64, I got mine early when K-Mart broke the street date and sold them a few days early...when it was released I can clearly remember thinking this was the first time a US console actually sold out in that fashion (very Japan'ish). The PS2 launch was terrible, greedy F'ers trying to hock them in the parking lot to those who didn't get one due to low launch #'s. I lucked out and got one of six that a local K-Mart got in stock...after getting cussed at for being 1st in line by the othes who did not get a numbered piece of paper, I walked out of the store with my system.

That was the last time I did it and I can clearly say I'm glad...the 360/PS3/Wii launch were absurd with a bunch of idiots looking to turn quick $$ on eBay.

I miss the old days...walking into a store and getting a NES...walking into a store and getting a launch SNES...no hassle, no morons, no eBay, just a bunch of people excited to get a new system...unfortunately it will never be that way again.

To answer the question...the last launch I really enjoyed was the SNES...those were the good old days...

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    no hassle, no morons, no eBay, just a bunch of people excited to get a new system...unfortunately it will never be that way again.
    Nope, especially not with the economy the way it is. Nowadays you have to take every little short cut you can.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

AWESOME!!!

Glad to hear im not the only one who has had a great time at launch. I remember the launch for my PSP... LoL... Me(24 at the time) and a 12 y/o kid waiting at Gamestop at 8AM. The guy so rudely asked "Why are you waiting in line at 8AM if you already preordered? You know that if you preorder it guarentees you will get a PSP." I told him no one at Gamestop would tell me where I stood on the list and also I had to work right up the road at 9AM and would not be done with work til 5PM. I then asked him "Why open up early if all you are selling were preorders? Why not just open at 10AM?" No reply as he handed me my PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by titanzguard View Post
    I enjoy watching G4
    You may be alone in that.

I enjoy the pre-release hype, but I've never bought a console at launch. I've wanted them, sure, but I generally wait at least a year before taking the plunge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

Trust me, I dont watch it(G4) daily - I enjoy their coverage of console launches though(Cant help it - Only channel that has anything about games).

As for waiting... I know that a majority of people wait for a console and completely understand but even if you dont buy it doesnt mean you cant enjoy the hype or hang out with friends who are in line waiting for the newest system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was working in a games shop when Street Fighter 2 for SNES came out. We were the first shop in The Netherlands to have it. The queue already started forming 4 hours before we opened. We only had 10 pieces (and 2 reserved for ourselves ) but even so, the people behind number 10 stayed in line. Those were the days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really cared for launches, but I was drawn to the Wii, and its supposed launch lineup. Unfortunately, Elebits and Metal Slug Anthology slipped, but it was still a pretty good launch. The Wii launch was the only one I ever tried to get in on. And it was fun, even though I got kind of gypped.

In the weeks leading up to the launch, I was reading a lot of message boards trying to decipher what the word was on the launch supply and how it was expected to sell. Would it be like the Dreamcast/PS2 launches with every store selling out right at opening, or would it be more relaxed like the Gamecube launch? Some people seemed to think that you would be able to just walk right in during the day on launch day and pick one up, no problem. Others were saying that they'd sell out at opening, but they'd probably have enough for everyone that was already there at that point. Nobody was saying that they'd only have enough for people who really camped out. So, I decided I'd just wake up fairly early and go in at like 6 am. With that settled, the question was, which store do I go to? A lot of people seemed to think Toys R Us would have the most units. How many, exactly? Several people were saying to expect 70 units or so per store. I noticed that TRU also opened an hour later than most places, so they'd probably have fewer "campers" as they'd be impatient for that hour.

So I hauled ass to Toys R Us at 6 am on launch day. The line was a bit longer than I expected, but I was way under the range of 70. I remember those hours being spent just conversing with the other people in line. There were a couple people who were counting how many there were in line, asking people if they were each getting a system, etc. By their counts I seemed to be around 40th in line. They kept re-counting. I was getting pretty confident about bringing home a Wii. As time went on, I looked at the line behind me. It got huge. As it neared opening time, right before the TRU employee came out to talk to the crowd, the last count had the line at over a hundred. No way are there that many systems. I was grateful I'd gone in early.

Then the dude came out. "We have 39 Wiis". 39?! WTF. He handed out the coupons. As it turned out, I was 41st in line. I was livid.

So I went looking around to see if there was any word on a second shipment. Word was, Gamestop had some extra units they'd set aside for the day after Thanksgiving. I called ahead and with a little pressing, the dude told me they'd have 4 units. I went down there late in the evening on Thanksgiving Day. There was already 4 people there. I asked them if they were there for the Wii. They said they all were, and that they knew the store only had 4 systems, so I shouldn't bother. I left.

Finally, I found out that Best Buy would have more systems available that Sunday (exactly one week after launch). It wasn't advertised or anything, it was practically just a rumor. I went down to Best Buy at 4 am and there were already people waiting. I was 8th in line. Time goes by and more people are waiting behind me. I thought this second shipment wasn't even supposed to be widely known about. Anyway they had 20 systems, so I got one. I took home Red Steel, Rayman, Trauma Center, and Zelda, and I'd already purchased Monkey Ball. They didn't have any extra controllers (later, I looked elsewhere, and it seemed everyone was out). That day was actually pretty fun. The other people in line were really cool, and they'd also waited in line at launch only to not get one, so there was a kind of comaraderie. Nobody was a scalper, they all really wanted a Wii.
    Last edited by j_factor; 10-07-2008 at 11:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My favorite launch was the Dreamcast. So Hollywood Video had a pre-release rental on the Dreamcast in early August, '99. I was so ecstatic that I got to play Sonic Adventure a month early (I had been EAGERLY awaiting this game, as Sonic is my fave franchise character). You had to put down a hefty deposit -- but C'MON, Sonic a month early. The only two games they had available were Sonic and NFL 2K, I believe. No VMU rental though. Rented it, still had a blast. It's funny, you know how you can punch fire hydrants off in certain stages with Knuckles? Well our neighbor backed their car over the fire hydrant right outside our house while I was playing Sonic and there was a 10 foot geyser of water blasting out, flooding the street. I dunno, I just associate this memory with Sonic and summer of '99 now. Anyway, I believe it was a week rental. I had to keep starting over, since I couldn't save, but it was epic.

Needless to say when the rental was returned I immediately pre-ordered a Dreamcast. Well ok, my MOM did. But I totally paid her back .. Even got a Dreamcast t-shirt for pre-ordering at Kaybee toystore (this was before the great GameStop invasion, I believe)..

Still love my DC

edit: oh and yes, my mom put down the deposit on the rental too. I still say it was totally worth it

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

My favorite part? The rampant, drooling, brainless fanboyism.

Nothing is funnier than watching a bunch of people rant and rave without inhibition, and usually without a coherent thought in their heads, sometimes for weeks...over a plastic box that plays video games.

That has to be the best thing about system launches. I avoid the things myself, far more hassle than they are worth.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Street Fighter 2 Turbo was the only thing I got..Well it's a big game.

I was waiting in the Mall to get it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by titanzguard View Post
    Console Launches - Favorite thing about them...
    My favorite things about them are:

- The buzz around the whole event.
    - Hanging out with other people who are also excited gamers.
    - Being the first person with something.
    - Writing about the launched item and putting it on the net.

My least favorite things about them are:

- Rude people.
    - eBay/Craigslist resellers.

Like some of the others have said, reselling launch consoles has proven to be a financially good idea, so now that everybody and their mothers (and grandmothers) are doing it, it's kind of ruined launch days for me and a lot of other people.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    My least favorite things about them are:

- Rude people.
    - eBay/Craigslist resellers.

Like some of the others have said, reselling launch consoles has proven to be a financially good idea, so now that everybody and their mothers (and grandmothers) are doing it, it's kind of ruined launch days for me and a lot of other people.
    I don't know who gets more excited about making money during a console launch, the manufacturers or ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy reading the posts and blogs from the people that stood in line for the consoles and games.

I have yet to stand in line and/or camp out for a game/console myself, though I did hang out with a friend once when she decided to pick up her GTA IV preorder at GameCrazy at midnight (we ate and hung out at the IHOP down the street until 11:30 or so, and then went to GameCrazy - good times).

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.