Thread: Nintendo is starting to roll with a new Zelda and more...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo is starting to roll with a new Zelda and more...

Well, Nintendo pretty much blew Microsoft out of the water with their E-3 Press Conference... and I think they're head to head with Sony too.

"Then Miyamoto unveiled a new Zelda title for the GameCube, sort of a party game in the vein of Four Swords for the Game Boy Advance."

Well, I'm happy. It was annouced today that there is going to be a 4-Player Zelda game in the same vein as Four Swords heading to the Cube. I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it.

Plus, there is a FUCKED UP new version of Pac-Man coming out.

"Miyamoto further demonstrated GC-to-GBA connectivity when he brought out Tooru Iwatani, the creator of Namco's arcade classic Pac-Man. This upcoming revision of the classic allows players to control ghost monsters on the GameCube while the player using the GBA controls Pac-Man. Ghost-monster players can't see the full map, so they'll tend to blindly roam around, giving Pac-Man an advantage, as in the arcade original."
    -Gamestop.com

Overall, I would declare Nintendo the winners of E-3. Just take one look at their lineup.

GAMECUBE
    Pikmin 2
    Mario Party 5
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (confirmed to be an eight-player game)
    Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
    Kirby Air Ride
    The Legend of Zelda: Tetra's Trackers (Mario Party esq party game)
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
    Wario World
    Star Fox 2
    Stage Debut (For use with the GBA Gameeye)
    Pokémon Colosseum
    Pokémon Channel (Communication game with paint programs... sounds like AC)
    Nintendo Puzzle Collection
    Giftpia (an RPG)
    Geist (first person shooter, meet survival horror)
    F-Zero GX
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    Custom Robo (praise god, it's coming to the US. In other news, hell froze over today)
    1080: Avalanche
    Metroid Prime 2

That's not even counting all the 3rd party stuff... now THAT is a lineup to be proud of. And on the GBA, a new Metroid Game, the sequel to Donkey Kong '94 (FINALLY!) and a new Zelda game. Lord have mercy, it's a good time to be a Nintendo fanboy.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amen!!!
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds good to me.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Nintendo is starting to roll with a new Zelda and more..

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    Overall, I would declare Nintendo the winners of E-3. Just take one look at their lineup.
    Has it even officially started yet?

Anyway, Custom Robo looks to be their most interesting title. They've really impressed me with some of the third-party stuff that they have gotten lately. Capcom has a game coming out a lot similar to Custom Robo.. I believe it is from the same team that made Powerstone. I forget the title right now.

The 4-player Zelda is interesting. I was hoping that something like this would have came out for the Lynx 10 years ago... And you forgot to mention them dusting off Super Mario 3 for recycling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Star Fox 2...I hope thats a remake of the unreleased SNES game, because that would be like god.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You forgot Pokemon Pinball, Mario and Donkey Kong, and Mario and Luigi for Gameboy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Star Fox 2...I hope thats a remake of the unreleased SNES game, because that would be like god.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is a shooter programmed by Namco.

PG

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mentioned Donkey Kong & Mario... I said the sequel to DK '94. That's it lol.

Mario & Luigi is supposed to be a new version of Mario RPG.

And rumor has it Star Fox AND the unreleased Star Fox 2 is going to be unlockable in Star Fox 2 by Namco.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Apparently Nintendo are also developing a Starfox game, separate to "Starfox Armada" being done by Namco...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rare is bringing out Conker: Live & Uncut to the XBox. Woo hoo, jump for joy. If Rare had any real talent in making games I would be impressed. Fact is they made TWO decent shooters and one platform game that was decent for it's time. But aside from the shooting games (007 and Perfect Dark), Rare's games have a short shelf life. They don't have that timeless appeal to them. Even games I swore up and down were excellent like Banjo-Kazooie and Blast Corps aged worse then day-old donuts.

And in defense of Nintendo's choice not to work towards online play, let me just say: So the fuck what? There is NO money in there. Look at the X-Box. X-Box Live is almost flawless by all accounts, and yet Microsoft is still bleeding money by the bucket-load. Internet play doesn't sell a system and the PS2 is the perfect example of that. It's not cheap to maintain online play. Nintendo is in the business of making money, not spending it. That's why there is no online play. Becaues online play is still a pipe-dream. Until it becomes cheap to do it, which is still five years away, then they'll do it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just want to add to this list as well.....FIRE EMBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The line up of games it great. But will people start buying the Cube?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    The line up of games it great. But will people start buying the Cube?
    Not until they start really marketing it to the older crowds methinks. If they don't lose that kiddie image they'll never move the units.

For the record, I'm still not convinced online play is gonna be the next big thing, so Nintendo dodging it doesn't hurt them in my eyes. Partly because of the extra costs associated with it. Partly because, once the system dies, your online only games will be pretty much useless. As a collector and player of old hardware that has zero appeal to me. Did anybody read Seanbaby's article in the recent GMR? Doesn't paint a pretty online picture if you're older than 15 (which we're continually told is where the market is heading).

Back to the games:

Geist intrigues me. Have to admit I was hoping to hear something about an Eternal Darkness sequel (loved that game), but a FPS horror game might fill that void. Got any links for any of this stuff? Once I finally finish Wind Waker this weekend there will be a huge Zelda void (maybe I'll play LTTP on my GBA again ).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Hmmm, 5 out of 20 I'm actually interested in.

Online play is a pipe dream? Damn, thousands upon thousands of PC gamers need to be pinched then-they are living the dream. 500,000 XBL subscribers must be on some spirit quest then as it's a dream. Same with SOCOM players. EA must be nuts as they announced online gaming throughoutt titles like Madden, SOCOM 2, Gameday, etc. I think there's even going to be a Resident Evil online game as well and don't forget Final Fantasy XI. PS2 sells because everyone and their frickin' mother makes games for that system and its the oldest out of the three systems.

And don't even go into how PC gaming is "different". It's something that's been perfected on the computer platform which is now naturally evolving on consoles as the two machine styles are blending together. And yes there IS money in it or else games like Everquest, Ultima Online (especially), Asheron's Call, hell even The Realm (which is STILL kicking) would have all died off. If there was no money in it, neither Sony or Microsoft would have pursued it as much as they have. It would have died with Sega. Online gaming on consoles is still in its infancy and its making some pretty remarkable leaps and bounds.

It's still an early E3, I'll have to reserve judgement on the Nintendo and Microsoft camps.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This one game destroys Nintendo's whole lineup.

http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/e3-svc/SVC.htm

And Charlie, if Rare didn't leave Nintendo, you would still be licking their collective balls.

And Nintendo is only in the business of making money you say? Well, that's good for them, bad for fans, I would think. Microsoft might be losing money on Xbox live (I don't really know the money facts, don't care either), but I'm having a whole hell of a lot more FUN playing CvS2 ONLINE, than anything I've ever played on GC. Soul Calibur 2 included.

GC Mario Kart should be cool, but let me tell you, it would be a whole hell of a lot better online. Same with F-Zero. So the big "N" might be making more money by staying out of the online world of gaming, but at the same time, they are taking possible FUN out of their games.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't licked Rare's balls in a long time. I was saying they were a bunch of washouts LONG before they left the Big N.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    This one game destroys Nintendo's whole lineup.
    A fighting game? Not a fan of N in any way, are you (which is understandable, since the small dpad would suck for fighting games)...

And Nintendo is only in the business of making money you say? Well, that's good for them, bad for fans, I would think.
    Everybody is in the business of making money. Anybody you think is in it for the good of the hobby has pulled the wool over your eyes. Except for homebrewers of course

GC Mario Kart should be cool, but let me tell you, it would be a whole hell of a lot better online. Same with F-Zero. So the big "N" might be making more money by staying out of the online world of gaming, but at the same time, they are taking possible FUN out of their games.
    A matter of opinion of course. I'll be happier with MK and FZ if they keep them *offline*.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    A fighting game? Not a fan of N in any way, are you (which is understandable, since the small dpad would suck for fighting games)...
    Actually I am a fan of the big "N" just not nearly as much as I was in the NES/SNES days. It's just SvC is the only thing I am looking forward to right now and it looks fantastic so far. As for the GC d-pad, I got that SNES clone controller to help fix that problem for SC2.

Everybody is in the business of making money.
    No shit, you don't say, they are making games to make money?!?!!?1

What I was saying is, it seems Nintendo never really takes any risks these days. It's almost nothing but sequels of their classic franchises. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but even if they lost some money by trying out the online thing, they may gain a bigger fan base in the process.

A matter of opinion of course. I'll be happier with MK and FZ if they keep them *offline*.
    Yea IT IS a matter of opinion, but do you think if either of those game were online, they would just abandon the offline single/multiplayer modes? Every game I've played online, whether it be on PC or console has had a solid single player experiece in addition to the online mode.

And Charlie, I was just messing with ya, I know there are plenty of Nintendo fanboys out there who were "OMG RARE OMG RARE IS TEH AWESOME!!!!11" when they were with Nintendo, but as soon as they left, it was "Rare wasn't that great anyways, in fact, they sucked"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

As for the GC d-pad, I got that SNES clone controller to help fix that problem for SC2.
    Have you ever seen/used a PS2 to GC adaptor? I saw one today and thought about picking it up. For SC2 of course

What I was saying is, it seems Nintendo never really takes any risks these days. It's almost nothing but sequels of their classic franchises. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but even if they lost some money by trying out the online thing, they may gain a bigger fan base in the process.
    I could see that (but not in what you originally wrote of course ).

But (maybe I'm a fanboy here though) I think taking Metroid and making it an FPS game, and taking Link and making him a cartoon were risks. Okay, with Zelda it was just graphics. But Metroid was a stab in the dark.

The online thing is risk vs reward - and I agree with N that the risk still isn't worth the reward at this point. Maybe someday that won't be true, but the online thing isn't all it's been made up to be in the press. Paying an ISP and then paying for a service (like Xbox live say, or for a hunters license) and *then* paying for a game doesn't sound like a good thing for fans to me. Sounds like a cash grab. And don't get me started on the types you meet online (I know there are good ones, but there are too many horror stories).

Yea IT IS a matter of opinion, but do you think if either of those game were online, they would just abandon the offline single/multiplayer modes? Every game I've played online, whether it be on PC or console has had a solid single player experiece in addition to the online mode.
    I've got PSO on my DC and it stinks on it's own. I'm sure you're right though - Nintendo wouldn't drop the ball with any of their stuff. I guess perhaps I'm paranoid that all games will end up more PSO like than, say, Halo like. And I'm kinda cheezed that, since I don't have broadband or Xbox Live, MS won't make the bonus Splinter Cell stuff available to me by some other means.