Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial PlayStation 2 late release games thread...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The unofficial PlayStation 2 late release games thread...

I know that there have been a few threads about specific PlayStation 2 late release games, but I wanted to start one just to discuss some of the hidden gems that are forthcoming for the die-hard fans.

Most of the people who are still into the PS2 have bought recently released games like Yakuza 2, a game that I think has more depth than a lot of the stuff that has come out on the newer systems, but there are a few more decent games like Dokapon Kingdom, Persona 4, Eternal Poison, Samurai Shodown Anthology and King of the Fighters: Orochi Saga that will come out for the system in the U.S. before it's completely dead.

Has anyone tried any of the budget games that keep popping up and can anyone tell if (a) these are good games or (b) if they might be collectable or just junk?

Specifically, I'm referring to budget games that I've seen such as Women's Volleyball Championship and Garfield: Lasagna World Tour. However, I haven't bought either of these games yet because I'm waiting to hear more on them from people who have actually purchased and tried them versus reading a Metacritic score derived from two people's submissions.

And yes, before someone says it, I already know these aren't games with the depth and production values of a God of War or a Devil May Cry. Still, some of the budget games that got released at the end of the PS1's life cycle are still some of my favorite PS1 games, so I'm hoping that some of these games don't suck...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice thread idea. The PS2 might be at a point right now where most of the newer releases are for... well, completist and masochistic collectors only, but I'll be looking forward to reading about the diamonds in the rough. As you pointed out, the PlayStation had some pretty decent budget stuff released in its last few years, so here's to the Qix Neos and Turnabouts and Italian Jobs and Gekioh: Shooting Kings... and even the Patriotic Pinballs that may be on the PS2.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm looking forward to Ar Tonelico 2. And not in the weird perverted kind of way. For whatever crazy reason, I found the first one charming if not a little sleazy.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Artonelico 2 and that we were also getting the Kingdom Heart: Chain of Memories remake of the Game Boy Advance game on PS2 in the next few months. See, there are still worthwhile games coming, even though the floodgates haven't burst.

I think that since I've finally gotten around to playing some of the PS2 games I already owned and neglected, it only makes me want to have more new PS2 games on the release list.

Also, has anyone tried that Ferrari game that Activision released?
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really looking forward to Army Men: Soldiers of Misfortune (if my previous thread didn't give that away already).

MLB Power Pros was a hella good budget game, as was the 2008 followup. I've yet to put much time into Sheppard's Crossing yet, but it looks like it may be worth sinking some time into as well.

Falling Stars should only be bought with the knowledge that it's horrible and you're buying it because you want to support Valcon in the hopes that they'll one day actually release RC Mini Chopper. I think IGN did a review on Falling Stars that was pretty spot on.

Speaking of which, please buy Daisenryaku VII: Exceed, if not for yourself (because it's fucking excellent) then to support Valcon's good releases in the hopes that they'll one day be able to release RC Mini Chopper. Yes, I'm that hard up for RC Mini Chopper and yes, I'm seriously thinking about just importing it along with the special controller at about 10x the cost that it'd be if Valcon were able to release it here.

I haven't put any time into DT Carnage yet to see if it was better than DT Racing, but it'd be hard for it not to be better. Can't find any comparisons between the two games other than on the developer's site, so maybe I'll have to spend a weekend punishing myself and write something up.

Dog Island is going to be more or less the sequel to Petz Dogz 2 / Petz Catz 2, I believe (interface is different, at least). For the target age group, they weren't bad.

Anyone try Code Lyoko: Quest for Infinity yet? I'm not familiar with the franchise and don't know if it'd be an ok jumping in point or if I should play the DS game first or what.

There's a new Onimusha Bundle that should be an absolute no-brainer (much like the previous Metal Gear Solid bundle)

King of Fighter: Orochi Saga is another no brainer. Hopefully the emulation (or porting?!?) is up to snuff (you know, unlike SNK Classics Vol 1).

...and I know I'm most likely throwing money in the drain on these two, but I'm seriously curious about M&M's Adventure and PBR: Out of the Chute.

Not too sure about the rest of the $20 and under releases in Amazon's schedule, but I'll keep an eye on them. I'm a sucker for cheap entertainment (or a ridiculously bad game available for just the right price)

edit - and in the realm of more expensive games (50% more expensive!), Yakuza 2 is in fact the bee's fucking knees.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 10-12-2008 at 08:57 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hadn't heard of Sheppard's Crossing. Is that an RPG?

I can say with 99% certainty that KOF: Orochi Saga is going to be the same one that was developed and released in Japan but translated. Terminal Reality, the company behind Bloodrayne, was the one that converted Metal Slug Anthology and SNK Classics: Vol. 1, but I don't think that company is slated to do anymore SNK compilations.

An updated version of King of the Fighters '98 has also been rumored as a U.S. PS2 release, but since the original is on Orochi Saga's lineup, there's no telling whether it will come out or not.

Dog Island is another game that was originallly released on the PSP in Japan. It isn't related to the Petz games at all since it was developed by Yuke's, the company that also developed Sword of the Berserk for Dreamcast, although it is the same idea.

And when I saw PBR at first, I thought it was Pabst Blue Ribbon instead of Power Bull Riding. A Pabst Blue Ribbon game on PS2 would rock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Terminal Reality's original work, but their console-based emulation releases are so very...underwhelming. The stuff out of SNK is generally pretty hot, though it's a shame that their games don't get the amount of love that KoF98 and 99 did on the DC. Well ok, 94 did on the PS2, but will we ever see that stateside?

Petz Dogz 2 and Petz Catz 2 for PS2/Wii were both developed by Yukes, if you can believe it (same game, different animals). They're very, VERY similar to Dog Island. Not totally sure why Ubi decided to release those two games in the US the way they did instead of under a new banner...it's not like the Petz franchise is known for adventure games and such.

Not that I'm complaining; I thought it was a welcome breath of fresh air and I hope they kill their substandard pet simulators sooner rather than later. They've never been all that interesting for as long as they've been making them.

IGN has a preview of Shepherd's Crossing and if you do pick it up, Valcon put up handy charts on their page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I hadn't heard of Sheppard's Crossing. Is that an RPG?

I can say with 99% certainty that KOF: Orochi Saga is going to be the same one that was developed and released in Japan but translated. Terminal Reality, the company behind Bloodrayne, was the one that converted Metal Slug Anthology and SNK Classics: Vol. 1, but I don't think that company is slated to do anymore SNK compilations.

An updated version of King of the Fighters '98 has also been rumored as a U.S. PS2 release, but since the original is on Orochi Saga's lineup, there's no telling whether it will come out or not.

Dog Island is another game that was originallly released on the PSP in Japan. It isn't related to the Petz games at all since it was developed by Yuke's, the company that also developed Sword of the Berserk for Dreamcast, although it is the same idea.

And when I saw PBR at first, I thought it was Pabst Blue Ribbon instead of Power Bull Riding. A Pabst Blue Ribbon game on PS2 would rock!
    The US Orochi Collection is adding KOF 94 and 98 to the collection, but I'm guessing they just lifted the emulations from Rebout and Ultimate Match, respectively.

As for the new KOF 98 Ultimate Match, I hear its on course for January. Excellent, excellent game. There's also the Samurai Shodown Collection on its way to the US sometime in the next few months.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm looking forward to Ford Racing: Off Road and Jeep Thrills, big into the genre and when they drop I will buy before I can't find them. That M'Ms Adventures sounds fun if it's a platformer, will look into that Garfield one also.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by videogameking26 View Post
    I'm looking forward to Ford Racing: Off Road and Jeep Thrills, big into the genre and when they drop I will buy before I can't find them. That M'Ms Adventures sounds fun if it's a platformer, will look into that Garfield one also.
    It's funny because this is either the second or third Garfield game released for PS2 worldwide, but only the first that ever made it here in America.

I know I've seen a listing for a Japanese version of Garfield: The Search for Arlene distributed by Titus on Playasia.com and there was talk of a game based on the live action Garfield movie, but this Lasagna World Tour game is something new.

Oh, and I also forgot that Popcap Vol. 2 is coming out for the PS2 later this month with the games Heavy Weapon and Zuma.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wow, I had heard on several occasions that Falling Stars was awful, but nothing could've prepared me for the horror of actually checking out some screen shots. I was curious if it was actually developed in Japan since Agetec has a history of releasing obscure Japanese RPGs that the general populace doesn't like but are awesome to a select crowd (King's Field and what have you), but after I saw it only came out in the US and Europe, I figured it was made by some crappy, inexperienced British or French company. But I was quite shocked to see it was created by a Lithuanian developer. O_o I gotta admit, that fact actually makes me want to buy the game, haha. I wouldn't be surprised if Ivolgamus is the only professional game developer in any of the Baltic states (Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia), and since my family is from that region, it's especially interesting to me. At least they have more of an excuse as to why they totally suck at game development, haha.

Shepherd's Crossing, however, is surprisingly cool looking. I think I might have to pick that up. It sounds like a more complex Harvest Moon. Nice storybook style to the graphics too. And Success is a pretty decent developer.

You know, it's funny, I'm taking more interest in upcoming PS2 releases now than I ever did when it was still truly alive and kickin'. There's something especially interesting about these obscure, budget games of that may have never been considered for release when the PS2 was still considered current. It's exciting to see what weird stuff they decide to localize from Japan now that competition from big name titles is slim. Plus, as we all know, video game history shows that late releases have a higher chance of being rarer and/or more valuable than the earlier stuff, so it's worthwhile picking up the quality games while they're still cheap (just look at Castlevania Chronicles for PS1).
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 10-12-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Popcap Vol. 2 is already in stores, josekortez.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I haven't been in a Gamestop in several weeks due to my finances, so thanks for letting me know that Popcap Vol. 2 is out, bcks. I have the first one. I wish they had released a bunch of those Popcap games on one compilation like they did with the 360 version instead of splitting them up. I mean, what did they think - that a PS2 disc couldn't hold four casual games? Hasn't anyone heard of Taito Legends 2?

And I wish Thunderforce VI would come to the States, but that's highly unlikely. I am definitely going to import that one. I hope I won't have to prostitute myself to do so. I probably wouldn't even be able to cover the shipping from Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I'm just waiting for Ikki Tousen: Shining Dragon to be released stateside by Valcon Games. It's not a particulary good game, played the import version, but I want to know the story mode dialogue.

It was said to have been out earlier this year but each time it seemed the release date got pushed back. The next supposed release date is by the end of this month but I'm unaware of it being available for pre-ordering, unlike the last release date in which it was but then cancelled.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E Nice View Post
    I'm just waiting for Ikki Tousen: Shining Dragon to be released stateside by Valcon Games.
    I'm in the same boat, though it's more because I just have to see the game first hand than anything else. But hey, Valcon release! $15 when it finally comes out!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    There's a new Onimusha Bundle that should be an absolute no-brainer (much like the previous Metal Gear Solid bundle)

King of Fighter: Orochi Saga is another no brainer. Hopefully the emulation (or porting?!?) is up to snuff (you know, unlike SNK Classics Vol 1).
    Wow! I was hoping for an Onimusha collection. It's a no-brainer. I'll defintely be picking that up.

As for Orochi Saga, G1M2 is the one that took care of most of SNK's compilations (except for Metal Slug Anthology and SNK Arcade classics). All their work has been near perfect so I'm not expecting anything less out of any of their future work.

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post

It's not rumored. The developer pretty much confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I love Terminal Reality's original work, but their console-based emulation releases are so very...underwhelming. The stuff out of SNK is generally pretty hot, though it's a shame that their games don't get the amount of love that KoF98 and 99 did on the DC. Well ok, 94 did on the PS2, but will we ever see that stateside?
    I'm still hoping for a budget '94 Re-Bout release. :\

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    The US Orochi Collection is adding KOF 94 and 98 to the collection, but I'm guessing they just lifted the emulations from Rebout and Ultimate Match, respectively.

As for the new KOF 98 Ultimate Match, I hear its on course for January. Excellent, excellent game. There's also the Samurai Shodown Collection on its way to the US sometime in the next few months.
    I can't believe SNK is actually adding 94 and 98 to this collection. Dammit! I want 94 Rebout to be released on its own. :\

I can't imagine them being able to fit all five games on one DVD, at least not if they add arranged music... augh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any PSP to PS2 conversions out recently, or on the horizon? That seemed to be a mini-trend for a while but I haven't been seeing them lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could someone make a list of games that use the, PSP to PS2 conversions?
    I've been thinking about getting a psp, so a list of what works like that would be awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think j_factor was referring to PSP games that later got ported to the PS2. Titles such as Grand Theft Auto (Liberty City Stories?) which was an original PSP game, and then received a PS2 port.