Thread: Free update for High Velocity Bowling on PS3 adds ONLINE MULTIPLAYER + more!!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Free update for High Velocity Bowling on PS3 adds ONLINE MULTIPLAYER + more!!!

Yes.

Those are three, count' em, three exclamation points at the end of that thread title.

I know I'm one of the few on the DP forums who have known the Lebowski-like zen that is High Velocity Bowling for the PS3 (PSN network exclusive) but now more than ever the game is worth its price of admission (I believe $10).

If you dig Wii Sports Bowling (and who doesn't?) and you find yourself asking ... is there ANY PS3 game that makes some type of decent usage of the SixaxiS controls? This is it. THE best use of SixaxiS controls I've seen yet.

Here's the lo-down on the new digs that the devs are rolling our way for freeeeeeee

(I'm going to download it all right now.

I hope to see some of my DP brethren online and throwin' rocks in the near future!)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...ocity-bowling/

• HEAD-TO-HEAD ONLINE PLAY!
    • VOICE CHAT COMMUNICATION!
    • WEEKLY ONLINE LEADERBOARDS!
    • PLAYLISTS WITH IMPROVED AUDIO!
    • MORE TRICK SHOTS!
    • NEW BALL BAGS!
    • ALLEY SELECTION!
    • NEW ADD-ON CONTENT
    • PSN TROPHIES!

BRONZE:

Score 180 or higher in an online game.
    Achieve an online rating of 1600 or more.
    Knock down a total of 500 pins in online games.
    Get 10 strikes in online games.
    Get 15 spares in online games.
    Win an online game.
    Play 3 online games.

SILVER:

Score 250 or higher in an online game.
    Knock down a total of 5000 pins in online games.
    Get 25 wins in online games.
    Get 75 strikes in online games.

GOLD:

Get 150 strikes in online games.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-16-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I bought this game yet haven't actually played it, lol.

Guess i'll have to give it a whirl, or erm toss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Looks like I'll be getting this game tonight, wasn't very interested in the game in the past, but this new content makes getting it a no brainier.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hadn't even heard of the game until now, but it looks like my type of game.

Does it play like Wii Sports bowling, as far as using theSixaxiS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I hadn't even heard of the game until now, but it looks like my type of game.

Does it play like Wii Sports bowling, as far as using theSixaxiS?
    You hold the SixaxS in the center with your thumb, middle and ring fingers, which unlike the Wiimote, is actually like holding a bowling ball.

You line up your shot by twisting the SixaxiS,

once your player starts the walk to the lane you swing the SixaxiS backward and then forward like you would an actual bowling ball.

Spin is handled by squeezing the R2 (or L2 if you're left handed).

Simple as that ... the physics (and lane physics with real time lane oil displacement throughout the game) are fantastic ... it's a great bowling game and the new additions make it even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um5AFuVLpIM

I don't know who this guy is ... but he gives us all a perfect demonstration of how it works.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-16-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I've been playing it for the past half hour and while I haven't quite gotten the hang of it, the physics seem a lot better than on the Wii. Then again i might only be saying this because I suck at Wii bowling and well just about every game on Wii sports.

My only problem is that the sixaxis gets a little funky if you hold the controller normally, but jumping into the tutorial seems to fix it right up. I'm wondering if me being soo low to the ground has anything to do with it, since I sit on one of those little rocker chair things (Mom found it left behind in a condo, the people who rented it never asked for it back), I'm wondering if I'll do better if I'm at a higher level.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I've been playing it for the past half hour and while I haven't quite gotten the hang of it, the physics seem a lot better than on the Wii. Then again i might only be saying this because I suck at Wii bowling and well just about every game on Wii sports.

My only problem is that the sixaxis gets a little funky if you hold the controller normally, but jumping into the tutorial seems to fix it right up. I'm wondering if me being soo low to the ground has anything to do with it, since I sit on one of those little rocker chair things (Mom found it left behind in a condo, the people who rented it never asked for it back), I'm wondering if I'll do better if I'm at a higher level.
    When you're lining up your shot hold the SixaxiS totally vertical to start and twist left and right to line up the needle.

When you start bowling hold it horizontal (like a bowling ball).

Don't play it sitting down ... play it standing like you're actually bowling. It'll be much more effective (and fun) that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After hearing your description, Frankie, and watching the video, this game looks even better. You're also right that it is like holding a real bowling ball and it seems more in line to real bowling, compared to Wii Sports Bowling. I'm ready to play!

Now I just have to convince my friend with a PS3 to download that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A double post somehow. Sorry.
    Last edited by Superman; 10-20-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm glad this title is getting a pinch more love ... and we only have the devs to thank for a wonderful free update!

I'll probably be online with this sometime tomorrow ... if you're not already on my PS3 buddy list send me a friend request!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought the game when it was $5 on sale a while back, and I thought it was terrible.

Wii Sports has so much more flexibility and better ball / pin physics. Plus after about 5 frames of holding the Sixaxis like you're supposed to I thought my wrist was going to snap. I also didn't like how you were forced to bowl through the character's traits. If I wanted to be limited to a play style, I'd play an adventure game; when I bowl, I want to be the one bowling.

Seeing how my PS3 is collecting dust anyway, I could see if this update does anything to change my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just got through playing a bit and really I don't think I would go on so estatically about it. The title is a bit of a niche title...not for everyone. Gotta admit I love the new features though and for free it's great.

Wii bowling is great cause it makes sense right outta the package, you throw the ball and it works.

HVB is a bit more complicated and you really have to learn the nuiances to make it work. You have to learn that holding the back trigger at the right pressure for spin and you have to watch your on screen character to judge power. It's a tad stressful.

When it comes down to it you can get alot more accurate with HVB and do some amazing spins and splits that you would hard pressed doing on Wii bowling, but it takes practice and expertise.

The Sixaxis controls are a bit goosey and misleading at first, but once mastered it is really cool, but Wii bowling is just a bit more accessible.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 10-18-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

No doubt Wii Sports Bowling is a more "accessible" game, and I do really enjoy it ... there's no real learning curve and that's fun in it's own right ... but people can beat each other in Wii Sports Bowling in some seemingly random ways ... practice doesn't necessarily make you a better player in that title where it definitely will in High Velocity Bowling.

But this really isn't about which one is "better", as they're pretty night and day to me.

Personally I prefer HVB (if that wasn't obvious) for its style, learning curve and lane/oil physics (which I find to be superior ... pin physics are a mixed bag in all bowling games) I think it's a superior overall package (especially after the update) and I can't help but be enthusiastic about it.

If anybody doesn't like it ... I certainly wouldn't hold it against them (we're all entitled to our opinions) ... I just think now more than ever the game is worth a look.