Thread: Your favorite way to play SMS games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Your favorite way to play SMS games?

An original Sega Master system is obvious, but I used to have the adaptor for my Genesis which seemed pretty damn good too. Are there other 3rd party adapters or systems that play SMS games? Just wondering about most peoples preffered method of enjoying these games.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, for me it is a sense of nostalgia to play on the original. Also, the adaptor is kind of a no-go for me, since I have a 32x snuggly rammed into my Genesis. I love the look of the SMS, it is so dam beautiful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

My Game Gear. No, seriously. I got my Game Gear when I was 15... found out quickly that most of the games sucked IMHO. Read about the Master Gear converter and almost immediately bought one. I could have Ren & Stimpy... or I could have Phantasy Star. Tough one, that

After that it was hunting for SMS games which were almost all the way out of most toy stores. You got used to the text (except for Monopoly) and if you kept your GG in good condition, the screen wasn't all that bad.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have a converter for my game gear as well and it is fun, although certain games have little dots as bullets such as some of the shooters for the system. The only problem there is the resolution of the Game Gear screen isn't good enough to be able to see them well, especially with a scrolling background. I'd have to say I would go with the genesis converter or use the original system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The SMS II looked pretty sweet but no slot for the card games...
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Pbc Ftw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, indeed. I've had some major issues playing Master System games lately. I've been using a frickin GAME GEAR to play them, and those of you who like shooters know that Master System shooters DO NOT play well on the Game Gear. The bullets are too small!

ANYWAY, I had no idea this little gadget existed until year ago... a search on DP's online guide a moment ago shows it listed, though. I'm surprised I've never heard of it before now!Where have I been?

A little background info... I have a Master System console at home, but NONE of the cords I have will fit it! I've tried every cord for every console I had and no luck. I have a Power Base convertor, but it's two States away next to the Model 1 Genesis, the only model it will fit on anyway. So I've been reduced to playing Master System games on the Game Gear. It sucks.

I found this little "MEGA MASTER" gadget on Ebay when I was doing a very basic search for "Sega." Seems it came out in Europe but not in the US. I'd never heard of it and it's not in the printed guide. On a whim, I bid and won one for less than $10 shipped. I had no idea if it would work in a NTSC Genesis console, a CDX, or an X'Eye (my favorite Genny replacement since the regular Genny/Sega CD combo is too big and uses two cords and my CDX quit playing CD's and resets itself if you bump it slightly. The X'Eye is AWESOME.)

It came in the mail pretty quickly. I approached my X'Eye and inserted it into the cartridge hole with major misgivings... it fit perfectly! (Note to all... Master System carts fit in the X'Eye alone too, but they don't play. Odd.) I stuck in a Master System game and turned on the power... BAM! Instant success! It worked with every game I played, the picture is fantastic even with composite, and I had a marathon SMS session. The X'Eye booted up just like a regular Master System (and looked quite happy during the sexy copulation, I might add.) I suck at Power Strike II but excel at Rampart, by the way.

This handy little thing also fits in the CDX and regular model 2 Genesis.

Now I can play Genesis games, Sega CD, Master System, 32x (with the damn thing attached) and sing karaoke songs on my X'Eye. No more Game Gear, Power Base convertor, or plain 'ole Master System console with shitty cable RF hookups. The X'Eye outputs in both composite AND S-video!

Man, this thing is sweet. Click the picture to see why!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another pic.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent years tracking down a Master System, so now that I finally have one, I'm going to play the games on that. And I don't have any converters to play the games on another system anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to play them drunk...

or did i misunderstand the question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

master system model 1 all the way. the gamegear converter is cool but as has been mentioned the gamegear screen leaves something to be desired. Never had a power base converter so i cant really comment on that, however i am rocking a 32x so id have to hook up ANOTHER genesis, so with the sega cd, genesis, 32x, and a second genny for the power base converter i would have 4 huge power bricks to deal with (not to mention those from my other 20 or so consoles lol). Plus that much genesis hardware in such a small area might bend the fabric of time and space.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Insert Coin (Level 0) SpyHunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to use the Power Base Convertor, simply because it saves space, only having 1 system hooked up instead of 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do have a Master System, but I prefer to play it via emulator on my DS.