Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best version of Montezuma's Revenge and H.E.R.O?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which is the best version of Montezuma's Revenge and H.E.R.O?

I'm looking to play these 2 games and I know that both had games on multiple systems. Which is the best version of each game? Thanks!
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a version of H.E.R.O. for Microsoft MSX (before they sold off the brand). The early version of the MSX microcomputers only had 40 columns and the graphics were the same as a Coleco Vision machine , this happened because the MSX-Video processor (made by Yamaha) was only finished for the later models (and incorporated into the MSX2 specs).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Montezuma's Revenge is best on Master System. H.E.R.O., I'm not positive, but I believe the Atari 8-bit version is meant to be best.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microsoft had better graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Montezuma's Revenge is best on Master System. H.E.R.O., I'm not positive, but I believe the Atari 8-bit version is meant to be best.
    Actually, in this site you can compare screenshots of the various versions of the game.
    Atari 8-bit version of H.E.R.O.
    If you were going only by the screen shots the MSX version seems to be more advanced. If you were going about the control type (with joystick on the right hand) the MSX microcomputer could use the MSX brand joysticks (third party) and almost any Atari 2600 VCS compatible joystick (Atari port), I believe that this game only used one button for the action .

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I would almost say 2600 for HERO. Not sure about Montezuma's Revenge, only played some of the versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yukio View Post
    Actually, in this site you can compare screenshots of the various versions of the game.
    Atari 8-bit version of H.E.R.O.
    If you were going only by the screen shots the MSX version seems to be more advanced. If you were going about the control type (with joystick on the right hand) the MSX microcomputer could use the MSX brand joysticks (third party) and almost any Atari 2600 VCS compatible joystick (Atari port), I believe that this game only used one button for the action .
    Judging by those screens, the MSX version is garish and annoying to look at. The Atari 8-bit version is easier on the eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Dave View Post
    Which is the best version of Montezuma's Revenge

The kind that comes after an evening of binge drinking and eating tainted churros from the concession stand at a donkey show. And when you wake to find yourself in a strange Mexican clinic, completely dehydrated after a weeks worth of shitting and vomiting, you'll know you've had the best version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without a doubt, the Atari 5200 version of Montezuma's Revenge is the best by far. I also really enjoy the 5200 version of HERO, but remember that the second fire button lights the dynamite, instead of pressing down.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The question is, are you speaking in terms of emulation/rom playing, or actually on a console/cartridge?

Big difference, because Montezuma's Revenge is a bit pricey on anything but the 2600 or Sega Master System. And how many people have an MSX or Commodore 64? Then you also have to take into consideration the controls of the consoles themselves. Sega Master System is clearly the best, but that system was light years ahead of the older ones. Probably better to control on Atari computer, or CV.

As for H.E.R.O., similar considerations, except that remember Activision had that absurd policy where they wouldn't let designers make the games look much better on superior systems. In other words, all their games, while they were very good, rarely look all that much better on A5200, A400/800, Coleco, etc., than the 2600. I would say it looks best on the CV, although the control is kind of weird. Don't think its rare for any of the systems, although Montezuma certainly is.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default H.e.r.o.

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    Without a doubt, the Atari 5200 version of Montezuma's Revenge is the best by far. I also really enjoy the 5200 version of HERO, but remember that the second fire button lights the dynamite, instead of pressing down.

Well, in this case. Maybe someone should stick to the Atari 2600 VCS and play it using a MSX ergonomic joystick or the old Atari control with just one button ... Gameplay>Graphics. And there is something wrong with the colours on those screenshots, maybe from a Personal Computer or some "MSX2" colours. Since the original colour palette was "similar" to the ColecoVision, sure that the colour output could be different from each microcomputer too ...

There were two types of graphics for HERO, one colourful and another with simple bocks of just one colour. The MSX and Coleco had some of the best graphics from the fancy versions of H.E.R.O.!!!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Tough to answer because there are so many variables.

Straight up, the best version of Montezuma is on ColecoVision. Best version of H.E.R.O. is Atari 2600. However, you might look for an alternative for the ColecoVision joystick (or the almost as good Atari 5200 version).

H.E.R.O. *looks* much better on virtually every system but in my opinion just "nails it" on the 2600.

The best news for you is that you pretty much can't fail on ANY system. Fortunately I've never seen a BAD version of either game. And they did H.E.R.O. on Commodore 64 cartridge and Montezuma on Sega Master System years after its initial release... they're all pretty solid games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I grew up playing HERO on the C64 (still have my original cart!). It also plays very well on the 2600, but can be a higher-priced cart.

I think the C64 has more levels, but I am not sure. They both play great.

I've only player Montezuma on the C64, but it is my understanding that the game is different on different systems (more, different levels) so it may not be an even comparison.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Apple II. Best Montezuma's Revenge of all time. No contest.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    The best news for you is that you pretty much can't fail on ANY system. Fortunately I've never seen a BAD version of either game. And they did H.E.R.O. on Commodore 64 cartridge and Montezuma on Sega Master System years after its initial release... they're all pretty solid games.
    I agree with this... though the Gameboy Colour version of Montezuma kinda screwed some things up, and the Atari 2600 version is understandably limited (though I'm still impressed how much the fit into it!).

When it comes to H.E.R.O., I've found that it plays largely the same on all systems. The extra graphical detail doesn't really add anything to the game though.

If I had to make a choice, I'd say Atari 8-bit for Montezuma's Revenge, and Atari 2600 for H.E.R.O.

--Zero

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I agree with this... though the Gameboy Colour version of Montezuma kinda screwed some things up, and the Atari 2600 version is understandably limited (though I'm still impressed how much the fit into it!).
    Yeah I hated the GBC version of Montezuma...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El View Post
    Apple II. Best Montezuma's Revenge of all time. No contest.
    My favorite version too.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Montezuma's Return on GBC was excellent and one of my favorite games but it's made to be more of a sequel of sorts. Best version would be on the Sega Master System for the smooth controls.

Best version of Hero is for A2600 for simplicity but looks nice on the 5200 and CV also don't forget about the Sega SG1000 version, it looks pretty bland but plays wonderfully though.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Controlwise, I like H.E.R.O. on the CV, if only because there is one button for the laser and one for the dynamite. On the 2600 it takes a little longer to run away from the dynamite because you have to move the joystick down first to set it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I own both games for the 2600, so I think I'll just stick with those versions since it does not seem they are lacking in any way.

Dave
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/