Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP 3000 What do you think?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well,

I wouldn't be surprised if they change the screen.

While I didn't find it to be an absolutely horrible effect ... and while it wasn't always prevalent, it was there.

I suppose I could get used to it if they never fix it.

The broader color spectrum looks absolutely awesome.

I'm really on the fence about picking one up ... now I'll wait and see if they do anything about the screen.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Time for the PSP 4000!
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

no frankie i do not have one nor have i actually physically played one, either way it doesnt matter as to me, i will not tradeoff the nicer screen for lack of hackability and scan lines. if they truly do replace the screen in newer shipments, and the hacking community adapts, i will join the ranks. otherwise, my vader psp is all i need in my pocket for now (esp w/ the dual microSDHC -> pro duo adapter im planning on getting, only $18)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    no frankie i do not have one nor have i actually physically played one, either way it doesnt matter as to me, i will not tradeoff the nicer screen for lack of hackability and scan lines. if they truly do replace the screen in newer shipments, and the hacking community adapts, i will join the ranks. otherwise, my vader psp is all i need in my pocket for now (esp w/ the dual microSDHC -> pro duo adapter im planning on getting, only $18)
    Yeah no need to dump a 2000 at the moment.

Not until Sony does something with the PSP 3000 hardware that can't be done with the 2000/1000 hardwarwe.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Great.. then Disappointing

The 3000 is my first PSP. I had a ton of games, but I was never happy with the price and screen of the older PSPs.

The new screen is large, bright, and clear. With still images it is beautiful.

The scanline effect isn't terrible, it's just... disappointing. When you play a game like Ratchet and Clank, it's not that noticeable due to the graphical detail. But a game like Loco Roco, with crisp lines and simple graphics, brings out the "shaky" scanline effect on moving objects. It doesn't help that you're constantly moving the whole screen in that game either. It is distracting.

I'm just surprised that they though this compromise was OK. Maybe it's a lot better than the ghosting on previous models. Maybe I'll just get used to it. In any case, I'll be much more wary of future Sony "upgrades."

Try before you buy.

-frap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a clear explanation available about the screen problem?
    All I can decipher is that there are some sort of horizontal lines.
    The PSP display is not interlaced, nor does it have scanlines, so the actual problem must be something else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The PSP display is not interlaced, nor does it have scanlines, so the actual problem must be something else.
    It may be a result of the new pixel structure on the 3000, but that's conjecture at this point.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Psp_subpixels.png

Here is an video demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cvoljxkYew

Note the pics at the very end of the video.

It's not a perfect example, but it may help you understand. I will say that it looks worse in the video than in reality.

It may very well be the best PSP screen ever, but compared to other consumer grade LCDs in DSlites, cameras, and ipods it's a bit of a disappointment (except for the size, which is really really nice).

-frap

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    here look

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/s...cing-problems/

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm wondering where the threshold is for the interlacing artifacts. Is it greater than 30fps or 40fps, etc? That would explain why some games don't show them. I'm also wondering if Sony knew about the interlacing artifacts. It's possible that they assumed interlacing the display would cut down on the blurring of the LCD, which it does. But then you have the interlacing artifact as a trade off. I personally hate seeing interlacing artifacts. Once you are consciously aware them, you'll always see them. It's a distraction for sure (not that blurring isn't).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just felt like I should post this but I completely forgot about the "problem" of the new screens until I visited this thread again. But you really should test it out before you buy it. If you really have a problem with it then you should stick to the more dull less colorful 2000 screen.-Not that theirs anything wrong with the original ones.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fun fact: the 3000 screen still has blurring before the screen "warms up"

it looks like they tried to get rid of the blurring of the previous gens by updating every other row on a refresh. since most games update at 30fps (or less), the interlace becomes noticible.

trying to unlock the framerate in so many different games would cause too many timing bugs. sony is kinda screwed unless they want to either spend more money on the screen or change the size to something "standard" to take advantage of mass production.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    But then you have the interlacing artifact as a trade off. I personally hate seeing interlacing artifacts. Once you are consciously aware them, you'll always see them. It's a distraction for sure (not that blurring isn't).

If you want to really see this effect, play Loco Roco on a 3000 series. I spent a few more hours with it and the interlacing artifacts are all over the place all the time.

Just demo that game if you want to see the problems in full force.

The ugly artifacts and maddeningly repetitive soundtrack make for an interesting experience :-)

-frap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...p-3000-update/

Further evidence that Sony may be quietly looking for a solution behind-the-scenes without actually making a public statement about it.

I'm going to bet we'll see it remedied in some fashion before year's end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not sure I see how you concluded that. I just see that as saying the bundle was much more successful than they anticipated, so they're going to stick to it exclusively this fall rather than have two SKU's on the market.

Now that I've had the chance to use this thing, I don't see the problems. I'm almost afraid to watch videos online (Only seen still, fuzzy screenshots), so I don't end up seeing the problem. I'm half blind as it is, so the better colors (Didn't really think this could be improved on from the original model, but it has been) and the decreased blurring are great for me since I'm not seeing any interlacing artifacts.

I'm impressed all around by this. I'm not sure its a worthwhile jump for someone that owns the 2000 model (I skipped it so I'm unaware how big of a leap this one was), but its a pretty nice upgrade on my original. Improved contours, nicer controls (This d-pad is actually functional for diagonals this time around), great screen, etc. Other than the cheapness of the UMD drive compared to the original, I think its nice.

Been meaning to ask this, but can the PSN store be accessed to buy a PSP game through a PC? I know you can do it through a PS3, and the PSP now can do it individually, but I'm unable to connect wirelessly since a internet tech was out here to fix something a couple of weeks back.

Also heard rumors a while back that the PSP would be getting Flash 9 like the PS3 just got, did that end up happening? Being unable to connect wireless lately, I haven't been able to check for myself. Would be nice to see the version of Flash upgraded far enough so at least Youtube works, though 9 would be nice so Hulu would be functional.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-28-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I'm not sure I see how you concluded that. I just see that as saying the bundle was much more successful than they anticipated, so they're going to stick to it exclusively this fall rather than have two SKU's on the market.
    Or, they could be quietly pre-emptively cancelling another retail SKU so they can work to resolve this screen issue behind the scenes.

It's just a theory ... and having seen the screen issues up close and personal, I simply can't see how Sony can deny that SOMETHING should be done moving forward.

Currently the PC PSN Store is being re-organized, but prior to the PSP Store being added to the firmware of the PSP - you could do exactly that.

Once the store goes back online you'll be able to do so again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm hoping your wrong, its going to suck for everyone that were early adapters of this. But I guess that's a risk you take when you buy something so soon.

I don't notice it anyways, so I guess it shouldn't matter to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm hoping your wrong, its going to suck for everyone that were early adapters of this. But I guess that's a risk you take when you buy something so soon.

I don't notice it anyways, so I guess it shouldn't matter to me.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...nager-for-psp/

Here's the official update for the PC PSN Store.

They combined it with the official Sony Playstation Portable Media Manager!

It's up for download/use now.

If I'm not mistaken Sony used to sell that software for like, $30!

Neat!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yep, I had a copy of it in my hands earlier in Wal-Mart and was just about to buy it...

For once I got lucky, didn't have enough money with me to get it.

Thanks for the help.

Edit - Is this the full version of Media Manager? That link makes it sound like the free version only has some of the capabilities of the retail version, it doesn't mention for example that you can convert videos to play on your PSP.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-29-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yep, I had a copy of it in my hands earlier in Wal-Mart and was just about to buy it...

For once I got lucky, didn't have enough money with me to get it.

Thanks for the help.

Edit - Is this the full version of Media Manager? That link makes it sound like the free version only has some of the capabilities of the retail version, it doesn't mention for example that you can convert videos to play on your PSP.
    Don't know if it's full or not.

I don't have much need for it as I've got WiFi and can access the store directly from my PSP now.

If you download it and try it out let us know ... I think it could be the full version.

But even if it doesn't have the file conversion elements, there's PSPVideo9 which has been a great standard for file conversion and management.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just tried, its not the full version. All you seem to get is the management side of it, not the other stuff it can do like video conversion.

I've used third party programs to convert videos to the PSP, but they weren't as userfriendly as I'd prefer. Its been a while since I've done it, so was hoping I'd have a official way to do it that was pretty simple now that I have a few new videos I want to put on it.