Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ys: Books I & II Easing On Down To Nintendo DS In February courtesy of kotaku

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I bought it when it first came out. I guess it was 1990 or 1991. It is complete, but the box is a little messy. I had no idea it was worth more than $20. I didn't think it was rare at all.
    Ys III for the TG16 isn't rare at all.

Just lately you have sellers on ebay thinking they can rip people off...and price gouge for the game.

Kind of sad realy when it comes to getting TG16 games from ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

For some reason Overbites video wouldn't play, so I headed on over to youtube and looked up the DS version myself. Looks like this version is really going to be craptastic!!!

First, they did away with the awesome tackle system and replaced it with Zelda style sword swinging!!! WTF??? Sorry, but that's not Y's. It completely changes the game play style.

Second, it's been what, 15+ years since the original Turbo version? It's also been remade like 4 or 5 times and somehow they ALWAYS manage to screw up the music. The track "PALACE" on the DS version sounds completely butchered. They were like; "Hey! With the DS we can do some decent quality music, but let screw up the composition and make the track noticeably inferior to the land mark Turbo version!"

It's not like the DS couldn't replicate the Redbook audio from the Turbo version, hell there is even room for them to possibly improve areas of the soundtrack... they just... didn't.

Like I said before, I am a Falcom whore and will surely by this upon release but I have a feeling i'll be sticking to my Turbo Duo and Sega Saturn versions when I need to play.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    For some reason Overbites video wouldn't play, so I headed on over to youtube and looked up the DS version myself. Looks like this version is really going to be craptastic!!!

First, they did away with the awesome tackle system and replaced it with Zelda style sword swinging!!! WTF??? Sorry, but that's not Y's. It completely changes the game play style.

Second, it's been what, 15+ years since the original Turbo version? It's also been remade like 4 or 5 times and somehow they ALWAYS manage to screw up the music. The track "PALACE" on the DS version sounds completely butchered. They were like; "Hey! With the DS we can do some decent quality music, but let screw up the composition and make the track noticeably inferior to the land mark Turbo version!"

It's not like the DS couldn't replicate the Redbook audio from the Turbo version, hell there is even room for them to possibly improve areas of the soundtrack... they just... didn't.

Like I said before, I am a Falcom whore and will surely by this upon release but I have a feeling i'll be sticking to my Turbo Duo and Sega Saturn versions when I need to play.

For me, it's that they just couldn't keep the very nicely remade 2D overhead view from the PC Ys Eternal games so they mde a just-ok 3D version of it. Not excruciatingly horrible...but not as nice

As for the music, I agree. However, they could have VERY easily used the great music from the the PC Ys Eternal (the EXACT .wav files from it, not some newer midi-type remix, mind you) and used it in the DS remakes. Between the 3 soundtracks (Turbo, PC, and Saturn, I actually think I like the PC one the most with the Turbo VERY close second. The Saturn are just okay/passable to me. However, as to why they couldn't use ANY of these in the DS versions is beyond me.......
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    why do they suck? im kinda excited...
    The graphics are a nice drop in quality, the new combat system is totally meh (and the optional original combat system is every bit as meh), the music is disappointing, they were too damn expensive (which the US version addresses perfectly), the added dungeons were incredibly forgettable, etc.

If the price was right, I would have been able to overlook the other faults...but yea. I really hope Atlus adds in an option to have the classic ramming system in there without having to fumble with the touch screen.

But hey, $35 to tell Atlus that there's actually Ys fans out there that'd like to play more Ys games in english. Let's just hope that they don't mistake that to mean that we'll play any Ys game in english because, yea, those Taito remakes were so very.....hmmm.

Actually, after further thought, if they bundled the PS2 remakes of III/IV/V into one package and released it at a price of like $30, I'd totally buy it. Seriously though, someone get on the horn with Falcom and tell 'em we want a PSN/XBLM version of Oath in Felghana like yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Seriously though, someone get on the horn with Falcom and tell 'em we want a PSN/XBLM version of Oath in Felghana like yesterday.
    Oath in Felghana would be cool... But I REALLY want Ys Origin. It's an original new installment instead of yet another remake and It also has the best new Ys OST since the Turbo versions.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    I was referring to the Taito remake for the PS2 Ys IV Mask of the Sun: A New Theory...
    They were that bad, ehh? That's too bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

"DEMANICUS! LET...ELANA..GO! SHE HAS...NOTHING TO...DO...WITH THIS!"

lol

Seriously, I'm wondering if everyone here has the same copy of Ys 3 for the TCD that I do, really, that game had some pretty craptastic stuff going on between the standard Turbo CD acting, whatever the hell that first intro with the spartan guy was all about, and the GOD AWFUL framerate.
    The stuttering backgrounds, and the retarded slow down didn't cut it then, and even the rosiest nostalgia glasses can't hide it now. And I'll defend most stuff on the turbo to my death.

Either way, I'll buy this DS port in the hopes that we do see a an Oath in Felghana or Origins port here. I'm prety close to the end of this translated Dawn of Ys, and I need moar Ys, darnit

/edit: You know, I suppose the post was a bit negative. The underlying 'game' of Ys3 was pretty damn good, and did a really good job of making Ys a side-scroller.
    Last edited by R.Sakai; 10-26-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm looking forward to this, even if it does turns out to be mediocre, I've always been very fond of Ys and will buy it just to support the series.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R.Sakai View Post
    "DEMANICUS! LET...ELANA..GO! SHE HAS...NOTHING TO...DO...WITH THIS!"

lol

Seriously, I'm wondering if everyone here has the same copy of Ys 3 for the TCD that I do, really, that game had some pretty craptastic stuff going on between the standard Turbo CD acting, whatever the hell that first intro with the spartan guy was all about, and the GOD AWFUL framerate.
    The stuttering backgrounds, and the retarded slow down didn't cut it then, and even the rosiest nostalgia glasses can't hide it now. And I'll defend most stuff on the turbo to my death.

Either way, I'll buy this DS port in the hopes that we do see a an Oath in Felghana or Origins port here. I'm prety close to the end of this translated Dawn of Ys, and I need moar Ys, darnit

/edit: You know, I suppose the post was a bit negative. The underlying 'game' of Ys3 was pretty damn good, and did a really good job of making Ys a side-scroller.

I always thought Ys III for the TGCD was somewhat of a disapointment. Then again, I probably rank Ys Book I and II as the best game of all-time. Most fun I ever had with a game. I took bookfulls of notes, and still have them.