Thread: Do you use a 14 inch television or monitor for old games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you use a 14 inch television or monitor for old games?

There was some weird recommendation to use small televisions (around 14 inch) and to stay at least three meter away from the screen.

Do you use this recommendation when playing old games?
    Maybe this stuff has something to do with the strange taste for some games ...

Also it could work for some light gun games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

smaller TV sets work well with older non modded video systems...pre nes espically. If you have one in decent shape, it can give a nice clear picture without major static or distortion. Since that is how I played back in the day, I enjoy it
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to stick to 20 inches and under. I have a 52 inch LCD that made almost all my older systems, modded and non-modded, look like shit.

I have my older stuff hooked up to a 20 inch Magnavox flatscreen with rf, composite, s-video, and component ins. Everything looks pretty damn good. As you stated, it will also play your older light gun games. Unlike the newer TVs.

I would say I would not want to play anything on a tv under 13 inches. It reminds me of the good olds days just like swlovinist.

You could also do all that crazy ass RGB modding stuff. Nice results, just not my cup of tea. If you are into that, do a search for Anthony1. You will find everything you need. I would guess this topic has probably come up before as well. I would guess in classic gaming or off topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

I found a nice 12" Zenith at a garage sale for $5 this summer and it's absolutely perfect for playing Atari. Crystal clear graphics, the colors are really vibrant; it's just the right size. I thought about mounting it into a little cabinet and sticking the Atari inside it, making kind of a mini-arcade unit, sort of like a cocktail I guess, except it would be more of a mini upright cab.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 24 in. sony flat tube that has served well for both new and classic systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

My apartment's fairly small right now, so I have a 13-inch screen for practical reasons. I use a Commodore video monitor, an 1802. It cost me 20$, and has a very clear picture; it supports s-video, and I have most systems hooked up to it via s-video natively. The Laseractive's the main exception; its composite gets fed through an external Kramer FC-10D comb filter which outputs s-video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I forgot to add that at some point, I would like to get one of those Commodore monitors at some point. I know that they can be pricey though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

The ones on eBay can sometimes be pricey, but if you can find someone selling it on Craigslist or Kijiji they often go very cheap. That's how I got mine.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chuckwalla's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Magnovox 13" that's fantastic for Genesis and SNES systems. For whatever reason, the Colecovision looks terrible on it so I keep it hooked up to my Sony 20" trinitron where it looks great.

For me, smaller tv's have that nostalgic appeal from back yonder when I had the VIC-20, C64, and Atari 2600 and was generally forbidden from hooking them up to the parents "big" tv (as in 1970's console 'furniture' tv's) and usually sat in front of the little tv all happy playing my games (and, frankly I still do!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I definitely prefer using CRT tv's over LCD's for classic gaming. CRT's look great...for some reason, LCD's and Plasma's look...weird. And if the response rate of the set is high, it ruins the game with those shadow effects.

But it's so hard to find CRT's around here. I wish I had a 27 inch TV, but the only one I've seen are weird brands like "Sansui".

Edit: Just found out who they are. Not as generic as I thought...
    Last edited by megasdkirby; 10-31-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!