Thread: Wii Widescreen Issues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii Widescreen Issues

Hey,

Having problems getting my wii to go widescreen I got some component cables (though I read that they're not needed anyways.) Went ahead and set it to 480p and widescreen, and I do get the 480p resolution but no widescreen. Also tried setting it back to 480i and going widescreen and still does nothing.

My PS3 and OX have no problems going widescreen on my tv (just set it to 1080p on ps3 and widescreen on xbox). Is there anything I'm missing? I even tried updating the wii firmware with no change

Anyone else have this problem and hopefully a fix :P?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes you need to adjust the widescreen option on your tv. I have a 32 inch lcd widescreen and depending on what I'm watching(tv, dvd or video games) it sometimes auto-adjust to widescreen. If not, I can go into the options and manually set it to do so. Try playing around in your options menu to see if you can fix the problem.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Did you get the official Wii component cables or some knock-off brand? Not sure if it matters but I have the official ones and have had no problems changing the settings. Also, have you updated your Wii?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Messing with the TV option will do nothing but stretch the Wii's picture.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Oh, something else to try is to unplug and plug in the cable. Try it with TV power on and off both to see if this helps. I remember something about people have sync issues with certain TVs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    Did you get the official Wii component cables or some knock-off brand? Not sure if it matters but I have the official ones and have had no problems changing the settings. Also, have you updated your Wii?
    Yes fully updated, they're knock-off components but I also tried with my composite which are official nintendo cables ><

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Messing with the TV option will do nothing but stretch the Wii's picture.
    Yah It says change it but it just streches it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    Oh, something else to try is to unplug and plug in the cable. Try it with TV power on and off both to see if this helps. I remember something about people have sync issues with certain TVs.
    I'll give it a try, unplug the component cables?

edit: tried power and the component cables >< got nothin
    Last edited by dao2; 10-26-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Comonent cables are analog, they can't ID the TV to the console, merely say if the TV is connected or not (because it either has 75 ohms termination or not)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I was pretty sure there are flags even over component that ID the signal.

I actually have the same problem with my Wii. What I don't know is if I tell the TV what the signal is, is it just then displaying correctly, or is it actually stretching the image. It is annoying to have to switch it manually, but it isn't that big of deal as long as I'm getting full 480p picture quality. I kind of think it is stretching, though, since the picture quality isn't that great. But since all I really ever have up anymore is full HD (or my classic consoles), I may just not be judging it correctly.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, only HDMI, VGA, or DVI support EDID information. Component doesn't even have a signal wire, merely a simple Luma, Pr, and Pb line, it's output only, not bi-directional.

The only way anything can even know if a TV is connected, and that's all they can do, is detect if it's terminated at 75 ohms. If not, no TV is connected and impedance is infinity.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard that only official nintendo wii component cables can do the proper resolution switching....kind of like the component cable for the Game cube system, it has an integrated chip for the switch....On the Game Cube, the digital port is worthless without the chip installed on the official component cable....Until now, it is a mystery chip cause no one has been able to figure it out and of course, nintendo is not going to share the secret...
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 10-26-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He said he can switch to 480p, but the option for widescreen isn't there.

Technically 4:3 and 16:9 are the same resolution, it's just pixel shape (aspect ratio in this case).

I feel it's probably a jumper. What's the pinout on the Wii video port again?

The chip on the GC cable is a DAC, it takes the digital signals and convert it to analog. It's been fairly reverse engineered on the GamesX forum.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you set your Wii to widescreen it just squeezes more visual information into the same frame, it's up to you to tell the TV to fill the screen. In other words, if you set your Wii to widescreen, and the game you're playing supports widescreen, then you should be getting the correct aspect ratio if you tell your TV to fill the screen with the image (16:9, FULL, or whatever it's called on your TV). To make 480p material widescreen the source (Wii) squeezes the wider image horizontally to 640x480 or 720x480, which you then tell your TV to stretch to 16:9.

I don't own a Wii, but I've noticed with widescreen- capable games for other non- HD systems (PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) that only polygons will appear the correct aspect ratio in widescreen, anything 2D like health bars, menus, etc will appear "stretched". So, if all you're looking at after switching to widescreen is a menu and it looks the same, that's probably normal. Try playing a widescreen- capable game after setting the Wii to widescreen and telling the TV to fill the screen. If you can see more visual information on the sides and the graphics don't appear "fat", then everything's working as it should. Keep in mind that if the game doesn't support widescreen you'll probably have to manually set your TV back to 4:3/ windowboxed mode or else all the graphics will appear stretched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    When you set your Wii to widescreen it just squeezes more visual information into the same frame, it's up to you to tell the TV to fill the screen. In other words, if you set your Wii to widescreen, and the game you're playing supports widescreen, then you should be getting the correct aspect ratio if you tell your TV to fill the screen with the image (16:9, FULL, or whatever it's called on your TV). To make 480p material widescreen the source (Wii) squeezes the wider image horizontally to 640x480 or 720x480, which you then tell your TV to stretch to 16:9.

I don't own a Wii, but I've noticed with widescreen- capable games for other non- HD systems (PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) that only polygons will appear the correct aspect ratio in widescreen, anything 2D like health bars, menus, etc will appear "stretched". So, if all you're looking at after switching to widescreen is a menu and it looks the same, that's probably normal. Try playing a widescreen- capable game after setting the Wii to widescreen and telling the TV to fill the screen. If you can see more visual information on the sides and the graphics don't appear "fat", then everything's working as it should. Keep in mind that if the game doesn't support widescreen you'll probably have to manually set your TV back to 4:3/ windowboxed mode or else all the graphics will appear stretched.
    Well basically I have my tv set to "normal" which for my tv I guess means display in whatever it's outputting? Cause My xbox was doing fullscreen then I switched it to wide and now it displays wide, and when I switched my ps3 to 1080p it went from full to wide, and they stay in widescreen. But everything else (nes and shit) stay in fullscreen. Now when I put the wii in widescreen mode absolutely nothing happens