0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default So...Guitar Hero: World Tour Impressions

I got a chance to try this out yesterday at Best Buy and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the instruments. Guitar was thick and had a nice feel, while the drums felt great with the raised cymbals. Took some hard shots and it felt very natural. Foot pedal was great with little travel and resistance.

Did a couple songs not in RB2, and I came away liking it. I'm interested in the music creation aspect, as well as playing some SOAD and Tool, but those weren't available at the store.

What are the thoughts here? I figure Rock Band will blow it away again, but it does seem to be putting up a bit of a fight.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't played it yet, but reviewers are saying the song creation mode is fairly worthless and the drums are experiencing an extremly high failure rate, and there is no RMA process in place to remedy it. I do like the setup better, with the cymbals though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt RB will blow it away, though I do expect to still prefer it. I think the Guitar Hero drums look like a cheap toy, I'm definitely going with the new RB set with the add-on cymbal pack. I haven't tried either new guitar so the jury is out on that one.

The music creation aspect could be amazing if people can handle it. The fact that we will have access to an unlimited library of user-created content could put GH on top, but I have a feeling it will be hard to come out with something good. GameTrailers has a few vids up of how "easy" it is to make a song (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6785.html). Watch "Walkthrought Part 4". If that's the kind of songs we can look forward to then count me out, what a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

While I look forward to playing this new music game, I have the sinking feeling that sequelitis is kind of setting in, and that there have been too many versions of these games coming out. With that being said, I probably break down sometime this year and get this version. It will be interesting how these will sell this year in the state of econimic downturn.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyA View Post
    Haven't played it yet, but reviewers are saying the song creation mode is fairly worthless and the drums are experiencing an extremly high failure rate
    If that's true, I wonder why all of the review scores so far have been great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    If that's true, I wonder why all of the review scores so far have been great.
    IGN gave it a 7.9 and said RB1, that's RB1, not 2, did it better than GHWT.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/923/923873p6.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyA View Post
    IGN gave it a 7.9 and said RB1, that's RB1, not 2, did it better than GHWT.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/923/923873p6.html
    That's weird, IGN gave the Wii version an 8.8.

Anyway, the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions have received an 8.6 overall so far, so the game can't be that bad, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Surprise, surprise. Apparently some of the drum sets are gimped...

http://kotaku.com/5068898/guitar-her...ng-drum-issues

Activision's cheap GH guitars are the main reason I waited for the higher quality RB2 drums/guitar. Stories like this just validate my decision. I'll still pick up the game by itself in a few months. Mainly for opening up the whole band tracks for Metallica's Death Magnetic album. GH3 just lets you play the lead guitar parts (obviously).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Surprise, surprise. Apparently some of the drum sets are gimped...

http://kotaku.com/5068898/guitar-her...ng-drum-issues
    Thanks for the link. I was really looking forward to World Tour. Now, forget it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just read the (6 page!) IGN review and it sounds like a bust to me. The only thing to set this apart from Rock Band was the music creation stuff and it sounds like a joke. Bad sound quality and no vocals? No thanks. And who thought it would be a good idea to not attach the kick pedal to the drums?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I doubt RB will blow it away, though I do expect to still prefer it. I think the Guitar Hero drums look like a cheap toy, I'm definitely going with the new RB set with the add-on cymbal pack. I haven't tried either new guitar so the jury is out on that one.

The music creation aspect could be amazing if people can handle it. The fact that we will have access to an unlimited library of user-created content could put GH on top, but I have a feeling it will be hard to come out with something good. GameTrailers has a few vids up of how "easy" it is to make a song (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6785.html). Watch "Walkthrought Part 4". If that's the kind of songs we can look forward to then count me out, what a joke.
    Add-On cymbal pack? Please elaborate for me.

I am buying this game either this coming friday or next friday (special edition with the instruments, of course).

I will say that the box for rb2 is way smaller than the box for rb1, and it is with all the instruments. Crazy. It will be nice to have a better set of drums then the rb1 ones, plus the metal kick pedal is awesome as well. Plus, I seriously have downloaded at least 20-30 songs for rb1, so getting ghwt is pretty bust for me.

But please, elaborate on the cymbal pack.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Guitar was thick and had a nice feel, while the drums felt great with the raised cymbals. Took some hard shots and it felt very natural.
    That's what she said.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    But please, elaborate on the cymbal pack.
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/911/911554p1.html

The new drums for RB2 have 3 additional ports for add-on cymbals. You can also hook up another bass pedal for double bass (which would sacrifice one cymbal port). I believe the 3 pack of cymbals is $40.

The RB2 drums have a metal pedal as well now, which can be rigidly attached to the drum base. To me these drums are a no-brainer over the Guitar Hero drums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://gear.ign.com/articles/911/911554p1.html

The new drums for RB2 have 3 additional ports for add-on cymbals. You can also hook up another bass pedal for double bass (which would sacrifice one cymbal port). I believe the 3 pack of cymbals is $40.

The RB2 drums have a metal pedal as well now, which can be rigidly attached to the drum base. To me these drums are a no-brainer over the Guitar Hero drums.
    W00T! W00T!!!!!

Dude, That is awesome. Only $40?

So a full set would be, what, $230, right?

Wow, I want to get RB2 even worse now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

W00T! W00T!!!!!

Dude, That is awesome. Only $40?

So a full set would be, what, $230, right?

Wow, I want to get RB2 even worse now.
    Yeah, something like that. OR you could get the Ion Drum Rocker for $300!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, something like that. OR you could get the Ion Drum Rocker for $300!

Uh, I was under the impression that the entire RB2 set was 189.99. I saw a nice big RB2 box at Target last night selling for that. If it is only drums, then wow, that price sucks. 189.99 for just drums would honestly make me go with GHWT. I will deal with a crappy set of drums if I get it for way cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh, I was under the impression that the entire RB2 set was 189.99. I saw a nice big RB2 box at Target last night selling for that. If it is only drums, then wow, that price sucks. 189.99 for just drums would honestly make me go with GHWT. I will deal with a crappy set of drums if I get it for way cheaper.
    The whole set IS $190. However, Harmonix decided to up the ante and offer another premium edition set for those really wanting to get into the electronic drum thing.

Behold, http://drumrocker.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The whole set IS $190. However, Harmonix decided to up the ante and offer another premium edition set for those really wanting to get into the electronic drum thing.

Behold, http://drumrocker.com/
    Why would you do that to me? Why? I am getting Rock Band 2 Fridays from today. Now I gotta get premium. There is a busted out window on my old car that I am trying to sell (not my lancer, my other one) and I am getting rock band 2 above that, hahaha. Now I am getting premium. Oh well, I don't drive that piece of shit car anyway, hjahaha

This entire thread kinda shifted. I am going to make a new 1 for rock band 2 you guys, snice this thread is about GHWT.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Well, I picked up the game only for PS-2 at wal-mart last night. I just hope to heck it looks better on a PS3/360 because it looks crusty as all hell on my PS-2.

The characters are a joke, and I'm not very impressed with the tracks so far either I must say. And what they did to the Tool songs?, well that was just sad. GH3 was much better IMHO.

To bad, as I was a pretty loyal fan of the GH franchise, looks like I'll be getting another 360 and Rockband afterall...

Prob. finish it tonight, maybe it get's better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Well, I picked up the game only for PS-2 at wal-mart last night. I just hope to heck it looks better on a PS3/360 because it looks crusty as all hell on my PS-2.

The characters are a joke, and I'm not very impressed with the tracks so far either I must say. And what they did to the Tool songs?, well that was just sad. GH3 was much better IMHO.

To bad, as I was a pretty loyal fan of the GH franchise, looks like I'll be getting another 360 and Rockband afterall...

Prob. finish it tonight, maybe it get's better.

Is it all covers like how GH1 and 2 used to be?