Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember Outlaws by LucasArts?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone remember Outlaws by LucasArts?

Outlaws, LucasArts. 1997. It's so LOST! There's noplace to even discuss the game that's so sad. At least the fan stuff is up. Anyone else rembmer this game? Do you think they should make a sequal? Or SOMEONE (since LA refuses) Do you miss this game as well?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry. I didn't understand your thread title since the topic is on Outlaws by LucasArts. Perhaps you may want to have a more specific thread title in the future.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post

Sorry. I didn't understand your thread title since the topic is on Outlaws by LucasArts. Perhaps you may want to have a more specific thread title in the future.
    By lost, I meant that this game is nowhere to be found...no forums about it...anything I miss this game....does anyone elsE?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spittin' Jack Sanchez View Post
    By lost, I meant that this game is nowhere to be found...no forums about it...anything I miss this game....does anyone elsE?
    Sorry, I haven't heard about it before. Maybe if you edit the topic title to "Remember Outlaws on x Game system?" You'll get more people... You didn't say which system it was for. Playstation? N64? PC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spittin' Jack Sanchez View Post
    Outlaws, LucasArts. 1997. It's so LOST! There's noplace to even discuss the game that's so sad. At least the fan stuff is up. Anyone else rembmer this game? Do you think they should make a sequal? Or SOMEONE (since LA refuses) Do you miss this game as well?
    You know, it's a shame the topic sucked balls. I thought that this was a thread about the aforementioned Lost game or Agni.

Outlaws did rock at the time and it's a shame that the property has never been revisited. I still listen to the soundtrack at work from time to time. Been meaning to do a fresh playthrough of it, especially after having tackled Dark Forces earlier in the year. Shame the game didn't fare terribly well back when it came out (let's face it, it was horribly dated at that point in ways that only Rebel Moon Rising could fully understand) and that it's since been forgotten by most people.

Wonder how it's held up? Guess I'll have to install it sometime soon.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speaking of lost games and Lucas Arts, Brian Moriarties version of The Dig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Outlaws was a great game. It's just that the engine was kinda outdated with the sprites and all. Probably would've been a bigger success if it was released a few years earlier.

My favorite things about it were the weapon with the scope (great fun picking off enemies) and the way you could tip enemies over the edge of a cliff and you'd hear a disappearing scream. Some great music as well.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

LOST (in all caps) is the common way of referencing the show.

There was a game based on the show LOST released last year, which is commonly referred to as "The LOST game".

Needless to say, I agree with the sentiment that the thread title is confusing.

Never played Outlaws ... but the art style did look neat ... very hand drawn and what not.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the demo quite a few times and enjoyed it. That's pretty much all I remember.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

WHERE ARE YOU, MARSHAL?!

yeah, i loved outlaws. had way too much fun shooting chickens, skulls, and innocent civilians.
    Last edited by JunkTheMagicDragon; 10-28-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: sp

Insert Coin (Level 0) Deadpixels's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

While I enjoyed Outlaws I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Blood, which is where I spent most of my FPSing back in '97.

Now the shooter drawn by the artist who does the work for KMFDM was pretty fun, and came out pretty much around the same time as Outlaws if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpixels View Post
    While I enjoyed Outlaws I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Blood, which is where I spent most of my FPSing back in '97.

Now the shooter drawn by the artist who does the work for KMFDM was pretty fun, and came out pretty much around the same time as Outlaws if I'm not mistaken.
    Blood is still awesome as fuck, save for the second half of the final episode. Cryptic Passage is so fucking good, though. Oh god, I want to play through it again.

ZPC kinda blew goats, but the artwork was neater 'n hell. I loved Brute's style, but really, the game itself was weaker than piss. Its main selling point beyond the art was that it was built on Marathon 2's engine. WOOOOooo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Blood is still awesome as fuck, save for the second half of the final episode. Cryptic Passage is so fucking good, though. Oh god, I want to play through it again.

ZPC kinda blew goats, but the artwork was neater 'n hell. I loved Brute's style, but really, the game itself was weaker than piss. Its main selling point beyond the art was that it was built on Marathon 2's engine. WOOOOooo
    You know, I just reinstalled Blood about a month ago. Of course, being a newer machine it needed extensive patching to even get working, and even still when it finally did work it ran painfully choppy at points. It's a shame, because I still think it's one of the most badass, creepiest games out there. The train station and train itself are just pure awesome.

Do you remember the bonus map in Blood that was styled after Crystal Lake from the Firday the 13th location, as well as the Overlook Hotel from The Shining? God I need to play this game on an older machine.
    ZPC probably does suck, I just remember being too keen on the art to care back then. I'm not too hot on Marathon for that matter, though I know many are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I just reinstalled Blood about a month ago. Of course, being a newer machine it needed extensive patching to even get working, and even still when it finally did work it ran painfully choppy at points. It's a shame, because I still think it's one of the most badass, creepiest games out there. The train station and train itself are just pure awesome.

Do you remember the bonus map in Blood that was styled after Crystal Lake from the Firday the 13th location, as well as the Overlook Hotel from The Shining? God I need to play this game on an older machine.
    ZPC probably does suck, I just remember being too keen on the art to care back then. I'm not too hot on Marathon for that matter, though I know many are.
    Blood works easy peasy and super well in DOSbox these days. Screw doing the extensive patching to get it running native. Just played through it a month or so back (along with Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage) and absolutely loved it. Let me know if you need any help. Hell, let me know if you want to play the expansions or if you need a copy of the CD for the awesome-as-can-be redbook audio music.

The Crystal Lake map was E4M4 and Overlook Hotel was E2M4; both were fucking sexcellent. Another awesome level was E3M4: The Sick Ward. Hell, pretty much all of episodes 2 and 3 were amazing.

Oh, and you're not alone. I don't care much for the Marathon series either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

Blood works easy peasy and super well in DOSbox these days. Screw doing the extensive patching to get it running native. Just played through it a month or so back (along with Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage) and absolutely loved it. Let me know if you need any help. Hell, let me know if you want to play the expansions or if you need a copy of the CD for the awesome-as-can-be redbook audio music.

The Crystal Lake map was E4M4 and Overlook Hotel was E2M4; both were fucking sexcellent. Another awesome level was E3M4: The Sick Ward. Hell, pretty much all of episodes 2 and 3 were amazing.

Oh, and you're not alone. I don't care much for the Marathon series either.
    Thanks for the offers Roushi, much appreciated. Is dosbox just a freeware you can download to play your old dos games? If so any info on that would be fantastic. I did the soundblaster patch for all of the old build games and it really is iffy at best.

I'd love to try the expansions, also, I have the original CDs for the game, just not the Plasma Pak or Cryptic Passage. Again, thanks a million.

On the subject of Blood I have to note, Type O Negative's Love You To Death was a fucking awesome choice for the game, and having the video included on the bonus disc was pretty sweet. The atmosphere in this game just screems classic horror in a way that I've never seen done so well in an FPS. From the crazy, deadite styled ghouls to the excellent levels, I think it has to be one of the best shooters ever made.

Episode 2 is probably my favorite, the burned-out cityscape just looks incredible. One level in particular, I think it's ep2-2, which takes you through an apartment block, into a butchers shop, was damn awesome. And I hate those hands with a passion to this day because of that level.

Is co-op an option through dosbox? If so and you'd like to play sometime shoot me a PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I bought a copy of Outlaws on Ebay a few months ago to live the memories of this game again. I still had fun with it even though it was kind of painful to play on my LCD TV (low resolution). Nothing is more satisfying then holding down the Z key to do the fast shot with the revolver. It wastes ammo at an alarming rate but it makes me feel like a MAAAAANNNNN!!!!
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Thanks for the offers Roushi, much appreciated. Is dosbox just a freeware you can download to play your old dos games? If so any info on that would be fantastic. I did the soundblaster patch for all of the old build games and it really is iffy at best.

I'd love to try the expansions, also, I have the original CDs for the game, just not the Plasma Pak or Cryptic Passage. Again, thanks a million.

On the subject of Blood I have to note, Type O Negative's Love You To Death was a fucking awesome choice for the game, and having the video included on the bonus disc was pretty sweet. The atmosphere in this game just screems classic horror in a way that I've never seen done so well in an FPS. From the crazy, deadite styled ghouls to the excellent levels, I think it has to be one of the best shooters ever made.

Episode 2 is probably my favorite, the burned-out cityscape just looks incredible. One level in particular, I think it's ep2-2, which takes you through an apartment block, into a butchers shop, was damn awesome. And I hate those hands with a passion to this day because of that level.

Is co-op an option through dosbox? If so and you'd like to play sometime shoot me a PM.
    Dosbox is the savior of our beloved DOS games. It emulates DOS in XP, Vista, Linux, etc. It works very well and is actively being worked on to improve compatibility (even though it works well now). Best of all it's FREE and is driven by the love for DOS games. GET THIS NOOOWWWW!!!
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, that's episode 3, dude! I love the way that episode started off in the city and then rolls into that second mission where you're in the apartment and that bomber is flying overheard blowing shit up and whatnot.

Haven't tried the multiplayer w/ DOSbox at all, actually. Never had a reason to look into it, but yea..I'll do some poking.

Compressing the disc image for you (and anyone else that wants it?) of One Unit Whole Blood. I'll shoot you a link (and anyone else that wants it?) whenever it's done uploading. I've added you to my AIM buddy list so that I can give you a hand if you have any problems getting it up and running in DOSbox.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This topic is kinda like saying "Hey, remember that game Super Mario Bros.?" :P It's all relative to what crowd you're asking. There are thousands of obscure games that get virtually no attention, and compared to many, Outlaws actually doesn't have it that bad. Looking it up on GameFAQs, I see it has an FAQ, reviews, and even a few topics about it on its board. And that's just one site, so I'm sure there's more out there if you just Google it. In comparison, I've scoured the internet for information on some games, especially imports, and couldn't find a single sentence in English describing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

Oh, that's episode 3, dude! I love the way that episode started off in the city and then rolls into that second mission where you're in the apartment and that bomber is flying overheard blowing shit up and whatnot.

Haven't tried the multiplayer w/ DOSbox at all, actually. Never had a reason to look into it, but yea..I'll do some poking.

Compressing the disc image for you (and anyone else that wants it?) of One Unit Whole Blood. I'll shoot you a link (and anyone else that wants it?) whenever it's done uploading. I've added you to my AIM buddy list so that I can give you a hand if you have any problems getting it up and running in DOSbox.
    Yup, the stage with the bomber was exactly the one I was thinking about. Awesome level.

Uploading that ISO is an awesome idea, thanks a million for that. Shoot me an IM and I'll let you know how things are going with DOSbox.

Thanks again.