Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

Default Vintage Video Game Stores in Chicago,IL

Hi

I'm visiting Chicago this Friday. I wanted to know if there were any good vintage video game stores in that area.

Thanks
    Ahh man this guy is back

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't go to Sean Kelly's store, then the trip ain't worth making. Lots of details and pics in this thread if you're interested.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately that's not really in Chicago, it's a suburb outside and if you aren't renting a car it'll be really annoying to get to (or a very pricey cab).

I live in the confines of the city (a mile away from Wrigley Field) and to answer your question, no there are no good vintage game stores here.

It's getting pretty chilly here so dress for snow.

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At times like this....http://retromap.net

There are a bunch in the area, People Play Games is about 4 blocks away from wrigley and the volo auto museam may not be in the general area, but trust me it is worth the trip.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coldguy View Post
    At times like this....http://retromap.net

There are a bunch in the area, People Play Games is about 4 blocks away from wrigley and the volo auto museam may not be in the general area, but trust me it is worth the trip.
    Hmmm never heard of People Play Games, doesn't seem to be on the map... nor does the other one (Sean Kelly's), unless I'm missing something here.

Seems pretty good according to Yelp, I can't believe I didn't know about it I used to live in Lakeview and walked down clark street all the time. In fact that's right around the corner from one of my favorite late night places to eat (Pick Me Up Cafe). How have I missed this, oh I see yelp reviews didn't start until May 08, so it must be a newer store, that would explain it =)

I will say if you're on clark street and you go there, just keep heading south and you'll hit Clark Dogs (actually their cheeseburgers are better than their hot dogs here I think) and a few other classic chicago hot dog places, I recommend the Char-Dogs. Delicious.

Nate
    Last edited by nate1749; 10-30-2008 at 11:01 PM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    Hmmm never heard of People Play Games, doesn't seem to be on the map... nor does the other one (Sean Kelly's), unless I'm missing something here.

Seems pretty good according to Yelp, I can't believe I didn't know about it I used to live in Lakeview and walked down clark street all the time. In fact that's right around the corner from one of my favorite late night places to eat (Pick Me Up Cafe). How have I missed this, oh I see yelp reviews didn't start until May 08, so it must be a newer store, that would explain it =)

Nate

If you are refering to Seans store, it is far from new. My first Sean Kelly store visit was in 04. That someone reviewed it on Yelp might just be the new thing. If you're talking about the other store (People Play Games) i've got no clue. I only went to Wrigleyville to watch Giants/Cubs games.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if it is not on the map let me know the info and I'll get it on there.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tony Lama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found out about PEOPLE PLAY GAMES last month when I overheard the store manager of my local GAME CRAZY directing her customers as to where they could obtain N64 carts. I was sure she was going to suggest VIDEO GAMES ETC. in Norridge (Sean's store) but was surprised when she mentioned PPG instead. Later that week I went down to the corner of Clark and School to visit this mysterious retro game store. And what I found was very impressive. PPG is very well organized and actually has a great selection of games for all classic consoles. I was very impressed with their large selection of TurboGrafx-16 games as Video Games Etc. always seems to have very little. I still love Video games Etc. But PPG is one new store to watch!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're got some nice stuff at PPG. I went in there not long after it opened and picked up a TG 16 controller extension. Lots of older stuff. 3264 1/2 N Clark St. according to the business card I found laying on my desk.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

My boyfriend apparently went to "Sean Kelly's" store and said that the staff there was stand-offish, lazy, unhelpful and a tad douchey.

I had asked him to check some things for me and they barely answered his questions.

I can't say I'm impressed. I had hopes of him picking up some cool stuff that I had been looking for, but the staff wouldn't even help him.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    If you are refering to Seans store, it is far from new. My first Sean Kelly store visit was in 04. That someone reviewed it on Yelp might just be the new thing. If you're talking about the other store (People Play Games) i've got no clue. I only went to Wrigleyville to watch Giants/Cubs games.
    I was talking about PPG and that it must be new (since it's in a part of the city I used to frequent often a year or so ago). Sean's store is in the burbs and I don't have a car so I've never been there. I guess I'll have to check them both out.

He wrote the post almost a week ago, so he must be back I'm assuming - where'd you end up going?

Nate

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tony Lama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post
    My boyfriend apparently went to "Sean Kelly's" store and said that the staff there was stand-offish, lazy, unhelpful and a tad douchey.

I had asked him to check some things for me and they barely answered his questions.

I can't say I'm impressed. I had hopes of him picking up some cool stuff that I had been looking for, but the staff wouldn't even help him.
    Yeah, I think I have to give a thumbs down to some of Sean's staff. Sometimes I'll ask about a particular game and they'll automatically say, "No, we don't have that." without even checking the computer. And they seem to forget that the customer is even there ... as they converse among themselves behind the counter.

Sean himself has been VERY courteous. He's done a lot of great things for me. He fixed a malfunctioning Sega Master System control pad for me free of charge. He found and held for me two NES games I had been searching for: COWBOY KID and BUBBLE BOBBLE 2. He remembered I had been looking for a loose copy of the TMNT: TURTLES IN TIME SNES cart ... found one ... and held it for me until my next visit to his store. And one time I brought in my non-functioning flea market consoles (IntelliVison II, ColecoVision, 32X) and he assessed the systems and told me what I'd need to make them function again.

My advice is to visit the store when Sean is around. It's a crap shoot, I know. But he's much better to deal with than most of his employees.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lama View Post
    Yeah, I think I have to give a thumbs down to some of Sean's staff. Sometimes I'll ask about a particular game and they'll automatically say, "No, we don't have that." without even checking the computer. And they seem to forget that the customer is even there ... as they converse among themselves behind the counter.

Sean himself has been VERY courteous. He's done a lot of great things for me. He fixed a malfunctioning Sega Master System control pad for me free of charge. He found and held for me two NES games I had been searching for: COWBOY KID and BUBBLE BOBBLE 2. He remembered I had been looking for a loose copy of the TMNT: TURTLES IN TIME SNES cart ... found one ... and held it for me until my next visit to his store. And one time I brought in my non-functioning flea market consoles (IntelliVison II, ColecoVision, 32X) and he assessed the systems and told me what I'd need to make them function again.

My advice is to visit the store when Sean is around. It's a crap shoot, I know. But he's much better to deal with than most of his employees.
    That's really unfortunate, a good staff really does make a store. Apparently they had a bunch of Nintendo Power Magazines there and I've been looking for Issue #57 with the Poster Intact and they were just like "No, none of them have posters" I mean, really? Being that blunt is rude, and somehow I'm doubtful that they all lack posters.

I was also looking for Bubble Bobble 2, apparently no luck. He picked up a few things he said, but it was hard for me to try to convey all the games I've been looking for (A very long list) over the phone.

It's really unfortunate too... He said that the service was so bad that neither he nor his friends have any intention of going back anytime soon because they just felt unwelcomed.