Thread: Looks like I get to make the Saints Row 2 topic.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Default Looks like I get to make the Saints Row 2 topic.

Seriously, no one else wanted to talk about this game yet? I searched and saw nothing (both proper and improper spelling).

Anyway, this game is awesome. It's nice to see games that forget realism to be over-the-top amusement. It's hard to even decide what features to even talk about as there is something new to do around every corner in this game. Hell I thought the first game was good, this one expands upon that several times. This post will come off as an ad because I am enjoying this game enough that I feel the need to cheerleader it.

Lets see, off the top of my head, things to do in Saints Row 2:
    use shock paddles to kill someone, then revive them, repeat.
    go streaking/flashing
    use a septic truck to spray shit all over people/property
    "races" that involve you riding a 4-wheeler around while on fire, setting other things on fire for bonus time.
    pretend to be a cop for filming of "reality" television
    operate cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, jetskis, fighter planes, biplanes, triplanes, small jets, helicopters
    customize cars, trucks, motorcycles with mostly pretty impressive options (some vehicles don't have as many options however, but most have tons)
    customize your character pretty impressively as well. First sandbox genre game I can think of where you can play female, male, or to some degree, a mix of both.
    almost anything you do while driving and fighting has stunts you earn rewards for (think crazy taxi for driving)
    take hostages, human shields, throw people through windows / off buildings, hold up stores, and plenty of other assorted illegalities.
    pretty decent multi player modes (the brawl/deathmatch stuff is kinda boring in my opinion though, probably because I suck. Strong Arm is fun though.)
    Co-Op play for the entire game! You can play from mission one to credits roll with a friend, and it is fun as hell. You can also drop in / out at any time, but for achievement's sake it seems to be currently smarter to have a separate play through/save for co-op (although they may be patching this).

So yeah, anyone else playing this? If you enjoy sandbox games at all, you should really give this one (and the original for that matter) a shot. Hell, is this the first sandbox game to have a direct sequel with the same characters?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I havn't picked this up yet, but quick question. You reprise your role after the boat blows up at the end of the first game? Or are you someone new? Also, has the city expanded, or are you playing in the same areas as before?

This isn't the first sandbox to reprise characters, Mercenaries carries the same main characters over into Mercs 2. I'm sure some others have as well.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0) DiabolicalAdvocate's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    I havn't picked this up yet, but quick question. You reprise your role after the boat blows up at the end of the first game? Or are you someone new? Also, has the city expanded, or are you playing in the same areas as before?
    You're the same person, but you undergo plastic surgery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I haven't had more fun this year than my 24 hours with this game.

I'm not entirely finished, but it's on hold now that the holiday rush of games has hit. Knee-deep in FarCry 2 and Fallout 3 at the moment. I'll be back to finish off and/or replay Saints 2 in the near future.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

You are the same person, yes. your choice on if you want them to look similar or not. The city has both old areas that haven't changed, old ones that have, and altogether new places. It's nice seeing a city evolve like that actually, that way old shortcuts are likely still valid.

Good point on Mercs 2, I always forget that for some reason. Maybe I still just like the first one too much, heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I've been dipping into SR2 and it's not bad so far. Not had a chance to do much exploration or do many of the missions but tbh, I think I'm liking it more than GTA4, for all the reasons Yahtzee pointed out in his recent review- it's simply more fun. GTA was at its best when it didn't take itself too seriously, it's a shame it took the developers of a different franchise to spot that.