Thread: Classic Nickelodeon show Total Panic: plays Genesis, Amiga & TG16 games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default Classic Nickelodeon show Total Panic: plays Genesis, Amiga & TG16 games

Nickelodeon, Total Panic
    (3 hour variety show on Sunday mornings, 1989-1990)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLs_wj-PmJ8

games in this clip:
    Genesis: Altered Beast, Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    Amiga: Battle Squadron
    TurboGrafx-16: Alien Crush

A year or two ago there was a clip of another episode of Total Panic with Andy Eddy, editor of VG&CE, previewing all the new systems of 1989: TG16, Genesis, Lynx, and GameBoy....

Greg Lee (host), Andy Eddy, Molly Scott (host)

....but sadly it was removed. Anyone happen to have that on tape somewhere?
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 10-31-2008 at 08:21 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap, I can't believe I missed that one. I was born in 88, so all I got was Nick Arcade.

Come to think of it, when my generation started watching Nick, all the good stuff was gone. You Can't Do That On Television, Hey Dude, What Would You Do, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Yeah and you never got to see Total Panic later in the 1990s when you would've been old enough to remember because there were no reruns after summer 1990.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I've had people 2-3 years older than me get angry and scowl at me when I mention that I remember a lot of the old Nick stuff. Pete and Pete forever.

I think that this is proof that they knew what they were doing back then. Actually covering games at all would have been awesome, considering that gaming was still "nerdy" back then, and probably wouldn't have appealed to a wide audience. By the time Nick Arcade was on, they were treating arcade gaming like something far more generic, not like this with emphasis on individual games.

So what else was on Total Panic? Did it deal with more than just games, like music and movies? In the early 90s, they had something called "U to U" which I remember had game reviews, is that comparable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Holy crap, I can't believe I missed that one. I was born in 88, so all I got was Nick Arcade.

Come to think of it, when my generation started watching Nick, all the good stuff was gone. You Can't Do That On Television, Hey Dude, What Would You Do, etc.
    You didn't miss much, only Nick at Nite in the evenings with classic shows was anything decent in the 90s, and that started to suck pretty bad once everything decent started to migrate to TVLand in the latter half of the 90s.

I did use to enjoy a show where they'd have kids competing against each other. I remember a episode where they were all in boats that were like little tanks with guns that shot balls out, with other guns around the pool. Stuff like that was cool to watch.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-31-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I didn't get cable until around 94/95, so I missed out on some stuff I didn't catch at a friends house, but luckily I was around for the end of the good stuff.

I remember when I used to pull online all nighters, a couple of fellow night owls would turn on Nick in the wee mornings and catch some old Nicktoons playing. One specific show we'd watch was Doug, we would analyze the characters behaviors and use those results to guess where they would probably be today, I came to the conclusion that Doug is probably woman beater.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I remember that review of Ghouls 'N Ghosts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

So what else was on Total Panic? Did it deal with more than just games, like music and movies? In the early 90s, they had something called "U to U" which I remember had game reviews, is that comparable?
    Yeah Total Panic was a variety show. Although they always had videogame segments, there was a lot more to it.

The show had, among other things: quizes, cartoons (i.e. Star Trek)
    movie reviews, the top music videos (i.e. Richard Marx, Paula Abdul)
    live performances by some of the pop/dance artists of the day
    (i remember Seduction & The Cover Girls), skits, live action virtual games (first to use the technology later used in Nick Arcade) and video/computer game reviews & previews.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The more I'm reminded of the old Nick, the more I want DVD releases. People deserve to see how much that network has changed. Last I checked, it's just daily Spongebob marathons. Even the commercials and station ads suck now.

They need more stuff like the early live-action series, with better humor that didn't just consist of bathroom jokes. I also miss the sci-fi stuff, like The Tomorrow People (1992) and Space Cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My dad controlled the TV all weekend back then, so I completely missed out on this. I totally would have watched it too if I knew about it.

I do remember watching this one game review show back in the NES days. Think it was on Saturday mornings (CBS maybe?) but it was syndicated later to weekday afternoons on another channel. They had a cartoon at the end of every episode that featured a bunch of Acclaim characters (Kwirk, Kuros, Bigfoot the monster truck, and a couple others I can't remember) and they were always fighting this fat, stubby gangster that they called Big Boss. Anyone remember the name of that show?
    Last edited by norkusa; 11-01-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

You know, I've had people 2-3 years older than me get angry and scowl at me when I mention that I remember a lot of the old Nick stuff. Pete and Pete forever.

I think that this is proof that they knew what they were doing back then. Actually covering games at all would have been awesome, considering that gaming was still "nerdy" back then, and probably wouldn't have appealed to a wide audience. By the time Nick Arcade was on, they were treating arcade gaming like something far more generic, not like this with emphasis on individual games.

I was 11 in 1990. Gaming wasn't nerdy at all. It was nerdy for young adults, maybe, but it was a cool thing to do at my age. Consider how many consoles the NES sold...back when adults weren't gaming. At 11 years old, we talked about gaming every day at school. It seemed that everybody was gaming.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

everything sucks now........all Nick is now is Slutty 101

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    My dad controlled the TV all weekend back then, so I completely missed out on this. I totally would have watched it too if I knew about it.

I do remember watching this one game review show back in the NES days. Think it was on Saturday mornings (CBS maybe?) but it was syndicated later to weekday afternoons on another channel. They had a cartoon at the end of every episode that featured a bunch of Acclaim characters (Kwirk, Kuros, Bigfoot the monster truck, and a couple others I can't remember) and they were always fighting this fat, stubby gangster that they called Big Boss. Anyone remember the name of that show?
    I've tried to remember the name of that show for a long, long time now. It had the basketball (Arch rivals?) guys in it too.

/edit: Yeah, I think it was on CBS. I remember it kinda looking rejected even at the time, I think it was before Captain N and Mario/Zelda and all that.