Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a Star Trek game worth playing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default is there a Star Trek game worth playing?

I'm a star trek nerd. This weekend I picked up the DS star trek game and also star trek shattered universe. They both suck.

Every star trek game I play sucks.

What gives?

Is there a star trek game worth playing?
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 11-02-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought the Voyager (ugh) FPS's were pretty good. I think one of those made to PS2 and/or Xbox.

But yeah, Star Trek games usually come out....poorly.

Aside from those, my friends and I really dug the Star Trek: Armada series. Especially after we modded them out with new ships models and Star Wars stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The classic DOS game EGATrek (descended from a very long line of similar games) is quite nice. For the classic Macintosh, there's also the similar but much more action-oriented Rescue!, which is well worth emulating. Both used to be shareware but are now genuinely free.

Lots of people also seem to like the Star Trek 25th Anniversary adventure game (not to be confused with the entirely different NES game that raised the ire of the AVGN). You may be able to find the CD-ROM version (with voice acting from the original cast) available for download somewhere.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually rather enjoyed the NES version of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary. It was a lot better than the other 8-bit Star Trek games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Seconded on the 25th anniversary PC game. That was released in an Interplay collection as well IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't think of any really good ones in recent years, but FWIW, I really liked the TNG "Final Unity" adventure game from way back when.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I too was a giant Trek fan, not so much anymore. At one point, I probably owned nearly every Trek game for PC or console from the 1990's. To answer your question, a few things need to be considered.....

Do you like Strategy games? If not, stay away from the Starfleet Command series. Plus they might be a bit expensive. I sold all of mine on ebay a few years ago.

The Voyager Elite Force, and the generic Away Team are decent FPS; but have little to do IMO with the true concept of Star Trek. The old Microprose Klingon Honor Guard wasn't too bad. DS9 Harbinger, The Fallen, and Dominion Wars stunk.

Sadly, unlike Star Wars, the Star Trek space sims are largely bad. Armada on PC, the PS2 games, not very exciting. Space wars in a starship are too complicated and boring. The newer game Star Trek Legacy, which I haven't played, is probably fun because it has the voices of all 5 starring "Captain" actors.

That really just leaves the old school point and click adventures. Which are nice if you want to hear or see the actual actors. TOS games 25th anniversary and Judgement Rites PC-CDROM (only CD has voices) are definites, as well as TNG A Final Unity and Hidden Evil. Generations is terrible. The games are slow and teadious, but love the voices! Star Trek Klingon, Borg, Klingon Academy, and Starfleet Academy are hideous games, but I the cutscenes were great!

The old console games (NES, Genesis, SNES) were okay, but ehh.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The previously mentioned classic computer game is a good one. It's not for all tastes though. It's one of those games people make fun of never having played it.

I also like the arcade game, and it plays very well in MAME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Legacy ain't particularly good. Multiplayer can be fun but single-player leaves a lot to be desired. Personally, I found Elite Force to be the pick of the Star Trek games- which ain't saying much.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

You should keep your eye on the modern stuff because the cover story of the latest Game Informer is a new Star Trek MMORPG that sounds like it's getting a huge budget plunked into it. I guess there's going to be a lot of detail in character design, etc. but I have no idea what the game's going to be about.

Here you go:

http://www.startrekonline.com/

Looks like it's being developed for both consoles and PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good call on the Voyager FPS series. I forgot about that. I played Voyager Elite Forces and loved it. I never got into the sequel though.

I'm not into MMORPG games - I don't really have the time nor interest necessary for the grind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

another vote for the excellence of Star Trek 25th Anniversary CD-ROM Edition. Picked up a sealed boxed copy on the cheap off of eBay a year or two back and had a blast playing through it. Star Trek: Judgment Rites CD-ROM Edition is also worth a look-see, though I don't feel that it's quite up to snuff with the first game. Some of the puzzles are just a little too out there and headache inducing, not to mention the wonky perspectives used for some of the backgrounds.

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force wasn't half bad, though I've never gotten to play the expansion pack for it. Should have snapped it up on the ultracheap when I could have. Oh well. Still have to play the sequel, too.

Deep Space Nine: The Fallen wasn't a bad game, but there really wasn't that much variety between playing each of the three characters. Still, it's a lot of fun on a first playthrough; just don't be hyped about getting a different experience if you decide to go through it a second or third time.

I've been wanting to play Star Trek: Invasion and Star Trek: Shattered Universe. Apparently the Genesis version of Deep Space Nine: Crossroads in Time is supposed to be pretty decent while the SNES port of it is apparently crap.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I thought Star Trek Conquest on the Wii was decent... though really, it's just the old 80's game Star Control with a Star Trek theme to it.

--Zero

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can get it to run, Starfleet Command was a good one. Gotta love the "space monster" mission.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The Voyager Elite Force, and the generic Away Team are decent FPS
    Um, Away Team was an XCOM style strategy game. (A really bad one, apparently.)

TOS games 25th anniversary and Judgement Rites PC-CDROM (only CD has voices) are definites
    I completely forgot about Judgement Rites for some reason. (And to think I have a legitimate copy stashed somewhere.) I don't think there was ever a floppy version, though.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I completely forgot about Judgement Rites for some reason. (And to think I have a legitimate copy stashed somewhere.) I don't think there was ever a floppy version, though.
    There was a floppy disc version, but I never knew it until I was looking to buy the CD-ROM Collector's Edition. I'd be upset about not getting the VHS tape, but hell, I already own the three DVD sets anyway. The bonus disc was what I really wanted (had to put the videos up on youtube, afterall)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know of a game for Star Trek Fans and other nerds.....Get a Hardcore Star Wars Fan vs a Hardcore Star Trek Fan. Ask one question which is better...? Hours of entertainment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought that Star Fleet Academy was a whole lot of fun. I remember playing that so much that I went out and got Chekov's Lost Missions to add on. Other than that; 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites, A Final Unity and Voy: Elite Force are all pretty good.

Klingon Honour Guard is often forgotten about. It may seem a bit like Unreal with a Star Trek mask on, but it's still infinitely better than some of the other shit out there.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    There was a floppy disc version, but I never knew it until I was looking to buy the CD-ROM Collector's Edition. I'd be upset about not getting the VHS tape, but hell, I already own the three DVD sets anyway. The bonus disc was what I really wanted (had to put the videos up on youtube, afterall)
    I have a spare Collector's Edition Bonus CD somewhere. Do you want it? I also ripped the files to MPEG but they're all up on Youtube anyway. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was never much of a PC gamer, so I haven't tried most of those. Except for EGA Trek, which is pretty good. but of the console games I've played I enjoyed the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game for the NES, the Star Trek the Next Generation game for SNES and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force for the PS2. Oh, and there's a pretty decent Voyager arcade light gun game, but I guess it would be hard to get your hands on that.

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/...tarTrekVoyager