Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens if you buy a Live-banned 360? (Also, warranty question.)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    i don't think anyone is defending the warranty, they're just answering the question. i'm sure everyone here would prefer a lifetime warranty on everything they own...

as for unbanning the console, it doesn't happen. if you buy a used console that's banned, they're going to tell you to return it as defective.

note, a banned console will not even finish the connection to live, which means you can't even get patches let alone the arcade.

if your gamertag tries to log into live from a modded (or banned) console, your tag is put on to a special list where your hardware will receive extra scruteny every time you log in regardless of the hardware ID. playing with modded consoles is bad mojo
    So, out of curiosity, if you buy a banned console used at a gamestop with no prior knowledge, will MS let you send it to them for (paid) "repair"?

Of course the easier thing to do would be to return the unit to the Gamestop where you bought it and have them swap it for a non-banned unit ... but I'm interested if MS will take the banned units in for "repair".
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

officially, no. they won't repair consoles which have a broken seal. in reality, as long as you don't tell them it's been banned and you can induce a RRoD, they might replace the motherboard without checking. i wouldn't count on it though.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    i don't think anyone is defending the warranty, they're just answering the question.
    I don't mean in this thread. I'm talking about the "MS is making it right...what do you want from them?!?" posts I always see.
    I want a 3 year warranty that covers the top three failures and a 1 year on everything else. None of that "90 days after the first repair" crap.
    I hope all this trouble teaches MS a lesson. If you can't get it right before you wanted to ship it...don't ship it until you get it right. I don't know how they would learn that lesson with sales figures the way they have been. I guess the court has to step in. Maybe those Cali residents have the right idea.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    I hope all this trouble teaches MS a lesson. If you can't get it right before you wanted to ship it...don't ship it until you get it right. I don't know how they would learn that lesson with sales figures the way they have been. I guess the court has to step in. Maybe those Cali residents have the right idea.
    Nope, They shipped Vista as it was, numerous other OS's as well. They took a market gamble and put position over system reliability. Honestly, its worked for them. I know far more people who have had 360's die on them and buy new ones, while waiting for their warranty repairs than to go and say F-off Microsoft.

I won't even bring up what i'm dealing with right now for my newly dead refurb unit, and them having voided my Microsoft purchased extended warranty when they shipped me the POS refurb unit earlier this year.

They ban the consoles, because they want the user's money. They might pirate games, hack, glitch ect, but they've got to pay for the consoles and XBL services, there is no way around that. They won't let that money go away. Not like a XBL banning is going to stop them either, those individuals will just go out and get another system and keep going.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I just find it interesting all the problems people have with the warranty, Stu's recent run through especially.

I have had no issues with them taking care of me, but then again I'm one of those crazys that when a system died on me I went and bought another.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guilty of having 4 Xbox 360's for various reasons. Only one works right though... To be honest, it doesn't really bother me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently Major Nelson reads the DP forums: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...odded-360-ban/
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my 360 used at good will for $40 bucks, and it works fine. But I can't get high speed internet where I live. So I've never even tried to get on xbox live. Is there a way to tell if it banned with out taking it online?

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Quote Originally Posted by jahvybe View Post
    I bought my 360 used at good will for $40 bucks, and it works fine. But I can't get high speed internet where I live. So I've never even tried to get on xbox live. Is there a way to tell if it banned with out taking it online?
    $40?? shit! which version? to answer your question yes, call microsoft.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that is an awful warranty. That would be like if a car manuf. gave you a 3 year 36K mile warranty, but then if you had a problem at year 1 then the rest of the warranty is void and only get 90 days? There must be some really tricky wording in that warranty agreement.

Rather than send my unit to Microsoft, I sent mine to a small company on eBay to fix it - they have great reviews and apparently they do something inside so it shouldn't overheat again. It was $50, but to not deal with Microsoft and get it back so quick is worth it. Maybe it'll be a bust in time (although they offer a 6 month warranty), but I thought it was worth the risk. So I guess you always have that option if you get the RROD again (after your 90 day warranty ends).

Nate

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Tyler View Post
    $40?? shit! which version? to answer your question yes, call microsoft.

It was a premium version with the 20 gig hard drive. It had a sign on it that said "wont play games" but it just didn't have a controller and works perfectly. I've been using it for almost a year now with no problems.

I also got an Arcade version a few months back for $15 with my 50% birthday discount. It was 29.99 but this one had no power supply or video cable and it has the 4rrod(video output error). But definitely worth it just for parts.