0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Default Down the basement?

So I am contemplating moving my office/game room to the basement. but am worried about all my systems and games being that the basement isn't insulated at all. Its a bare bones basement right now, and we are renting it so I can't make drastic changes like that.
    Then again, in the winter since the boiler is there it wont be too cold, only when we are at work. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on this idea?
    I definitely don't want to lose thousands of dollars worth of games/systems due to it being too cold down there while we are away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cold isn't the main problem in a basement, it's humidity/moisture/flooding. Mildew results and can destroy your collection. Attics can get too hot and melt things on the other side of the coin. I would rent a storage bin before risking that.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Ahh humidity riiiight. Damn, this sucks. Its a tough decision, especially the main reason for me moving all this stuff is that we are planning on having another baby.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get a dehumidifier. When I was a kid my parents had a huge basement that was pretty damp at first, but they just put in a dehumidifier and kept it heated and it was fine. You should be able to find one on craigslist or at a pawn shop for cheap. They collect all the water into a container you empty once in a while, or some you can pipe to a drain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Get a dehumidifier or 2 and put extentions on your gutters to keep rain water away from the foundation. That's what we did and it's been dry and hasn't leaked sense.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

Everyones house is different and so is the weather depending on location, a dehumidifier would curb the humidity issue which could do some nice damage over time. Also if you have a history of flooding, it may not be a good idea. Cold is your friend though.
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamc@sting View Post
    Everyones house is different and so is the weather depending on location, a dehumidifier would curb the humidity issue which could do some nice damage over time. Also if you have a history of flooding, it may not be a good idea. Cold is your friend though.
    Not necessarily flooding but there has been a couple of times that thru the cellar door water has gotten in. Only once has it been major when we had like 8-10 in of rain in the basement.

I will look into a dehumidifier now. I like the idea of the basement, because all the bloops, bleeps, and music wont bother my kids and wife when they are sleeping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be careful...that basement mildew smell is damn near impossible to get out. I had to toss alot of things when I moved.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

before I started collecting games, I had a box full of NES stuff and 3DO stuff out in a shed that had no heat what-so-ever. They were up there for about 3+ years. When all was said and done, the only thing that wouldn't work correctly was my goldstar 3DO (which I heard was poorly made anyway). In your case, since its a basement, its more of the humidity issue but I wouldn't worry about the cold. I would just keep them off the floor if at all possible in case there is any flooding or whatever bad things happens to basements. If there are certain items you don't want to risk at all, I'd store them under your bed or in a closet. CD games should be fine either way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the water has never gone over 10 inches just make sure you have everything stored well above that, and I don't think i would leave anything plugged in when i wasn't there. I used to work in a home office in a daylight basement that had never flooded. But one day there was this freak rainstorm and one of the drains outside plugged and water started coming in. If I wouldn't have been there we would have lost our $20,000 plotter. Basically do everything you can to avoid problems, but still expect to have them. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I've been making my basement into my main game/arcade area since I ran out of room in my computer room and when my fiancee moves in I'm sure that's where most of it will end up anyway

I started by putting in bookcases against one wall for all my boxed games (I need to post some pics), and a big long table against the other for all my computers (I'm using some old high school science lab tables, they're powered and impossible to kill). Then I put an old 30" TV on a display unit and got an old coffee table to put the game systems on. Eventually I want to put some rugs down there (it's all bare concrete) and a couch, but that will have to wait until I get more power outlets installed. I'm also putting up all those old game posters and mobiles that I've been stockpiling for years to give it a more "game room" feel. Sort of the way Sean did in his store. It's really coming along nicely, and makes for a good 'free time' project.

I also have a dehumidifier down there for the summer.

Tempest
    Last edited by Tempest; 11-11-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I've been making my basement into my main game/arcade area since I ran out of room in my computer room and when my fiancee moves in I'm sure that's where most of it will end up anyway

I started by putting in bookcases against one wall for all my boxed games (I need to post some pics), and a big long table against the other for all my computers (I'm using some old high school since lab tables, they're powered and impossible to kill). Then I put an old 30" TV on a display unit and got an old coffee table to put the game systems on. Eventually I want to put some rugs down there (it's all bare concrete) and a couch, but that will have to wait until I get more power outlets installed. I'm also putting up all those old game posters and mobiles that I've been stockpiling for years to give it a more "game room" feel. Sort of the way Sean did in his store. It's really coming along nicely, and makes for a good 'free time' project.

I also have a dehumidifier down there for the summer.

Tempest
    That sounds great Tempest. I guess if done right it can and will turn into a hell of a office/game room. I suck a electrical wiring and anything house related (city-boy), so I am lucky to have my father-in-law that is a wiz with all this stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

You're renting out an unfinished basement to someone right now?

I'm a huge fan of the basement game room/play area. I bought a townhome recently and the biggest selling feature was a large finished basement for me to put all of my video game gear into. The basement is perfect as a great play area and generally you can (if you have a cohabitor in your house) have complete freedom to "nerd it up"

I'd save up and put some money into drywall/insulation/flooring - the materials themselves aren't hugely pricey and you can usually find someone to help you with the work... or do it for you

Do eeeeet. Make your Batcave. It'll rule!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    You're renting out an unfinished basement to someone right now?

I'm a huge fan of the basement game room/play area. I bought a townhome recently and the biggest selling feature was a large finished basement for me to put all of my video game gear into. The basement is perfect as a great play area and generally you can (if you have a cohabitor in your house) have complete freedom to "nerd it up"

I'd save up and put some money into drywall/insulation/flooring - the materials themselves aren't hugely pricey and you can usually find someone to help you with the work... or do it for you

Do eeeeet. Make your Batcave. It'll rule!
    Aha ha no not renting the basement. We don't own the home, its my wife's uncles house. He said I can do whatever I want to it, but its still kinda weird making it my own and not really mine.
    Nerd it up I want, that's for damn sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by demen999 View Post
    That sounds great Tempest. I guess if done right it can and will turn into a hell of a office/game room. I suck a electrical wiring and anything house related (city-boy), so I am lucky to have my father-in-law that is a wiz with all this stuff.
    Either am I actually, but thankfully my father is.

On the table right now I have a Vectex, CoCo 3, IBM PCjr, C-64, VIC-20, Atari Mega STE, Amiga 1200, and a TI-99/4a. Hooked up to the TV I have a Colecovision, Intellivision, SMS,Odyssey 2, 5200, and an Arcadia 2001. The 7800, 800XL, NES, SNES, Gensesis/CD, Saturn, Neo Geo, Turbo Duo, Apple II, and Apple IIgs are all upstairs in the computer room. The Dreamcast, PS3/PS2, 360, and Wii/GC are all in the family room.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

basements are great. You could do like my family did 30 years ago and put up drywall and carpet the floors etc its a project and will take some time and money but will be worth it.