Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left for dead /Tomb Raider underworld

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Left for dead /Tomb Raider underworld

These new demos showed up recently on Xbox 360. What do you all think? I really like the direction the last tomb raider game went. I played a little of left for dead last night and it seemed really fun. Gamestop was offering an extra 5.00 off preorders for L4D

I might bite. These coop games have been all the rage lately.
    neo geo system

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I tried the L4D demo the other day when I was home from work, and I really like it. It's a fun FPS that has a lot of features which lend itself heavily to being a mulitplayer co-op experience. I haven't tried it online yet, but I'm a bit concerned. The menus have some language that takes a somewhat punitive attitude towards early quitting. This concerns me because sometimes my schedule gets erratic and I HAVE to quit early. I don't know how long a full online campaign takes to complete, and I didn't complete the demo either (I probably should).

Anyway, Valve did a good job. The big, bloated, puking zombies are my favorites, and the ones that run after you are pretty freaky (I've never seen a zombie move that fast!) The ambience is pretty good, but my new gold standard for FPS presentation is Bioshock. L4D doesn't quite live up to that expectation, but it's a damn good horror game nonetheless.

It's cool to see a zombie game that doesn't have a shitty, clunky interface like RE (RE4 excluded, of course). Kudos to Valve for that.

Will I buy it? I don't know yet. There is so much awesome stuff being released right now (plus stuff I've been wanting to pick up for years) that it's easy for a great game to get lost in the shuffle right now.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Left 4 Dead seemed repetitive. Shoot zombies in building, collect items, move to street, shot zombies in street, move to next building shoot more zombies, collect more items, rinse and repeat. Am I missing something? Dead rising seemed more fun so far.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I like the L4D demo and I was thinking about trading in a couple games to pre-order it but then I found out that it was $70 Canadian, which is more than I spent on Fallout 3 CE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked the Left 4 Dead demo. Yeah it can get a little repetitive but the ambiance and one liners make it an excellent zombie shooter. Graphically it was amazing and I had to remind myself that I was playing a game and not a campy b - horror flick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Underworld is decent, if you are a fan of that type of game.

Left 4 Dead has some potential, but I have a feeling its going to get boring quickly.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed Tomb Raider, and will be Gameflying it. L4D seemed antiquated and repetitive, so I'm not even going to bother with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GENTLEMENofLULZ

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Underworld is decent, if you are a fan of that type of game.

Left 4 Dead has some potential, but I have a feeling its going to get boring quickly.
    A game like this won't be getting old for awhile especially the non coop online modes in which you can play as the zombies and the huge coop or die atmosphere really came out well. Big ups to valve on making coop paramount instead of the usual run and gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Left 4 Dead looks great from what I've seen so far, no hands-on yet, but it got me reminiscent of RE4 on cube for some reason...maybe I'll get that one out that was fun
    feitctaj !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I downloaded the demo and finished it earlier, after which I went out an pre-ordered it. I do have a little bit of a fear that I may be dropping $60 on a repetitive game, but, it's birthday money, the zombie placement is randomly generated, and there looks like there's gonna be a good number of maps to keep is fresh.

Really, this is the type of zombie game I've always been waiting for though. Just going around an infested city and blasting everything that moves. Also the way the zombies are has me really liking it as well. I dig the whole fast moving thing, keeps it interesting, slow zombies like Dead Rising bore me.

Can't wait to get the full release online with some friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zero insterest in Left 4 Dead from me....I don't play online at all.

As for Tomb Raider: Underworld...I liked the demo. If it's indicative of the full game for sheer puzzle difficulty, I'll be buying the full game upon release. I loved Legend, so I suspect this will also be a must have if ya like adventure style action like that.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Left 4 Dead seemed repetitive. Shoot zombies in building, collect items, move to street, shot zombies in street, move to next building shoot more zombies, collect more items, rinse and repeat. Am I missing something? Dead rising seemed more fun so far.
    I am pretty much viewing it as a FPS, Hunter The Reckoning. It is true, I really want to see more and more zombie types, or just different scenarios. But I got to play the Demo today. I enjoyed it.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through the Left 4 Dead demo twice last night, once alone and once online with a friend. It was fun but I don't really get the point. After those two runs I didn't have any urge to play it again. Right now I'm failing to see any lasting value in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GENTLEMENofLULZ

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I played through the Left 4 Dead demo twice last night, once alone and once online with a friend. It was fun but I don't really get the point. After those two runs I didn't have any urge to play it again. Right now I'm failing to see any lasting value in it.
    The lasting value is simply the fact that this is one of the best zombie games to come down the pipe in awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Dammit, double post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

L4D is only $54 at Amazon, for anyone who is interested. (360 Version)

I'm really interested, as I love zombie type stuff. But even at $54 it's hard for me to bite. I'll see if someone can't get it for me as a Christmas gift.

How did single player go? Good enough on it's own or will multiplayer steal it's thunder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GENTLEMENofLULZ

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post

I'm really interested, as I love zombie type stuff. But even at $54 it's hard for me to bite. I'll see if someone can't get it for me as a Christmas gift.

How did single player go? Good enough on it's own or will multiplayer steal it's thunder?
    Yea the AI is really good in this game probly the best AI Iv ever experienced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by MonoTekETeA View Post
    I am pretty much viewing it as a FPS, Hunter The Reckoning. It is true, I really want to see more and more zombie types, or just different scenarios. But I got to play the Demo today. I enjoyed it.
    Nice comparison, right down to the weaker standard weapon with unlimited ammo.

Don't forget that you get $5 off for preordering, bringing it down to $48.99. I did that combined with the $10 gift card I got from Amazon for preordering Resistance 2 and paid only $38.99 for it.

For those bitching about replay value, you do realize it changes every time, right? Zombie and item placement won't be in the same each time you play, which is a basic but essential way of refreshing the gameplay. Also, there's the versus mode which the demo should have included, wherein two groups of four take on the roles of survivors and zombies, allowing you to play as a boomer, hunter, etc. Here's a great gameplay video of that:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/how-2-...ft-4-dead/528/

It gets pretty insane on the higher difficulties, but so far I've never once run out of ammo for the shotgun, though health items are few and far between.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ANONPLOX View Post
    The lasting value is simply the fact that this is one of the best zombie games to come down the pipe in awhile.
    Sorry, that makes no sense.

It's the exact same, so there's really no reason not to play it multiplayer. The AI is great but it's still more fun to play with actual people.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    For those bitching about replay value, you do realize it changes every time, right? Zombie and item placement won't be in the same each time you play, which is a basic but essential way of refreshing the gameplay. Also, there's the versus mode which the demo should have included, wherein two groups of four take on the roles of survivors and zombies, allowing you to play as a boomer, hunter, etc. Here's a great gameplay video of that:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/how-2-...ft-4-dead/528/

It gets pretty insane on the higher difficulties, but so far I've never once run out of ammo for the shotgun, though health items are few and far between.
    Random spawn points don't change the fact that you just do the same thing over and over. I only played the demo twice but the second time didn't feel different enough from the first for me to think "wow, I should play again to see what happens this time!". Don't get me wrong, it's a cool game and I would like to play through it, I'm just not sure I see this one having much lasting value.

The versus mode could change all that of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Maxlords seems to have the right idea: if you're not in it for the multiplayer, forget it, it's that simple. I'm a big fan of co-op, and this is a winner on that front, with both online and offline co-op (and even a combination of the two). If you have a few friends to play it with, that's where you're going to get your mileage out of this one.

It's not the deepest or longest experience by a long shot, but as someone who has discussed a zombie apocalypse at some length with their friends, this is as close as I'll probably get.