Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rampage Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Rampage Thread

A couple questions:

1). What is the best Rampage game of all time in your mind?

Crazy how Rampage lives on today. What is it, Rampage Total Destruction? Played some NES Rampage recently, just to relive the memories. Shame they couldn't work in the wolf/3-player mode of the original arcade.

World Tour on the 32-bit systems was pretty forgettable. I really haven't played the rest.

Finally my last question for you classic gamers out there...

2). In the world of "classic gaming" where would you rank Rampage? (The arcade original, the NES conversion OR the franchise itself as a whole)

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original arcade Rampage is good, but way, way overrated.

Rampage World Tour is everything the original SHOULD have been. Better gameplay, better control, better graphics.

NES version of Rampage is a crappy port, much more dull than the original arcade game.

Rampage Total Destruction (current gen consoles) is a good idea, but the sloppy execution renders it an also-ran, unplayable mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    Rampage World Tour is everything the original SHOULD have been. Better gameplay, better control, better graphics.

Hmm, maybe I have to replay WT again. BTW, does the PSX version support 3 players? I was horrified when I found out the Saturn version didn't have a 3-player mode, despite having George, Lizzie and the Wolf. WHAT THE !

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of the Rampage games are great, World tour and Universal tour are probably the best. I havent played the Wii port of TD. Those games are just really amazing mindless fun. Cant wait for the next iteration.

While looking up the game on wikipedia, there is another game for PS1 only called Rampage Through Time......I got to buy that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Lynx version was originally going to be a game called Monster Demolition.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    All of the Rampage games are great, World tour and Universal tour are probably the best. I havent played the Wii port of TD. Those games are just really amazing mindless fun. Cant wait for the next iteration.

While looking up the game on wikipedia, there is another game for PS1 only called Rampage Through Time......I got to buy that one.
    Rampage Through Time SUCKS. Universal Tour is as good as World Tour, but Through Time wrecked everything that was good about the previous two installments.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Hmm, maybe I have to replay WT again. BTW, does the PSX version support 3 players? I was horrified when I found out the Saturn version didn't have a 3-player mode, despite having George, Lizzie and the Wolf. WHAT THE !
    There's no 3-player in the PS1 version either, but you can play 2-player simultaneous with any of the 3 characters. 3-player simultaneous would have been nice (and was originally planned) but it's really not that big of a loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another excellent thread, Steven. My personal favorite is World Tour.

I'd rank the arcade version as an arcade classic. The NES port was disappointing (imo, it's a fairly decent game, but hard to recommend with the arcade port available on Midway Arcade Treasures). World Tour was a good sequel, even if it seemed a little outdated and out of place compared to the fighters and racers that dominated arcades when it came out.

Total Destruction was a good idea. Too bad Midway treats their classic franchises just about as bad as (if not worse then) Sega these days.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like N64 World Tour the best, but the original arcade version loses something when you have infinite credits. I also keep 2600 Rampage around to show others what a 2600 *shouldn't* do, and the fact that most people don't believe me when I say that it was made.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

World Tour is easily my favorite, play it in MAME if you want three players. Total Destruction isn't too bad, but it's not quite as fun in some ways. I however played the gamecube version, I suppose the Wii version is somehow worse or better.

I actually like Rampage enough that I have played through an entire game of World Tour in MAME before...and probably will again someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite version of Rampage is the arcade version. When I first played it, it was different than any other game I had played before. Actually, it still is.

I have the NES, Master system and Genesis versions and like was mentioned before, they are rather bland. They are not necessarily unplayable, just bland.

The newer games have better graphics (I have the N64 games), but it didn't seem like too much was added to them. Of course I haven't played them that much so I'm sure there is more to be seen and they could be my new favorites. But for now, my favorite version of Rampage is still the arcade version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I have fond memories of playing Rampage back in its day at the arcade. As far as multiplayer coin-ops went I found it to have more socially rewarding gameplay than Gauntlet. You and your friends could work together to clear screens, or just putter about doing your own thing alongside one another and with less pressure to be constantly functioning as a team.

The legacy continues with my son and his pals, who sometimes fire it up on the MAME cab but moreso these days they have moved on to Rampage: Total Destruction for the PS2, which gets pulled out a lot on sleepovers.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Rampage World Tour gets my vote for bestest Rampage game.

The PS3/PSN version of Rampage World Tour with 3 player offline AND online multi-player gets my vote for best home version.

$5 game plus online multiplayer = win.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Arcade games came in waves. At first there were games where people took turns, followed by games where people played against one another. After that, arcades were flooded with games where people played together. My favorite were those where people could play together but also screw one another -- Gauntlet is one of those games ("Shots cannot hurt other players ... yet") and Rampage is another. Actually I think my favorite genre is games where you can hurt other players and pretend it was an accident (one of my favorite Rampage ploys).

I don't remember playing a lot of the original Rampage in the arcade, but I had it on the C64 and my friend had it on the NES so I got my fill of it. It wasn't until Rampage World Tour came out that I really got hooked. Our local Pizza Hut had this machine and I remember dropping a quarter or two (or a hundred) in that cabinet. Cactus Jacks had one, too. I'm a sucker for those pseudo 3D character models and I love games with tons of tiny details. With Rampage World Tour it's almost as much fun to sit back and watch all the little details while someone else plays.

I played Rampage Throught Time and the new one on the Wii but they didn't quite grab me like World Tour did. When I want to get my Rampage fix these days, I ... well, you know me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Rampage game where the naked chic runs around.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Rampage was probally my longest arcade gaming experience...staying up into the wee hours of the night with a couple friends. It was a quite fun complete waste of time. I'm still not entirely sure what the actual point of the game is.

I'm getting the Lynx version in a few days. Is it any good?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My favorite version was oddly the SMS version of Rampage. Played that to death! Love it to this day.

World Tour IS awesome but I never really got to play it often so it doesnt' have that personal link to me like SMS Rampage.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Rampage World Tour on N64 a couple of years ago. It seems like it was fairly short to play all the way through. It was a fun game though.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so how many Rampage games have there been now, and on what systems?

I only own World Tour for Saturn so far, but I'd like to get the two PS1 games after that as well... I don't remember what they were called...

anyhow, I never got anymore Rampage games after World Tour because the gameplay was so repetitive in World Tour that more didn't seem necessary

I dunno why I got so bored with it, I guess I just prefer King of the Monsters
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

World Tour on N64 is my vote for the best. I'd probably get bored of it without someone else playing with me.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I fell in love with Rampage World Tour. I didn't know it was an arcade port until after I had purchased it for the Playstation. I had a compilation for the Playstation called "Arcade Party Pak" that had the original Rampage on it and I loved it, too. I thought it was VERY repetitive, though! The NES version wasn't as enjoyable to me. I haven't played Universal Tour or Rampage Through Time. I think Total Destruction was a disappointment. I own the Gamecube version and the controls are HORRIBLE. I have the hardest time getting on the buildings sometime. The only reason I keep the disc is it has Rampage and Rampage: World Tour on there. (I since had gotten rid of the Playstation discs that had it plus the NES game.)

Oddly enough, I saw a game called Rampage Puzzle Attack while looking up the different games. That must be interesting....
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)