Thread: How do you feel about chess games!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do you feel about chess games!

Ok, so i used to turn my nose up at chess, yet this was at the same time that i was really enjoying strategic games like advance wars that are inherantly chess based.

I continued to turn my nose up at chess, yet this was at the same time that i was also enjoying puzzle games that stripped game mechanics down to their basics and were low on effects and the like, i.e. tetris.

So why didn't i give chess a go? one of the oldest games of all time, and a game which has stood the test of time. Maybe it was i thought it was too boring, i wasn't clever enough to play. But then I did play it.

I loaded chessmaster onto my pc, went through the tutorials and, i'm hooked! What a freaking game! I can't get enough of it and it's depth and many, many 'strategy' games now feel lightweight in comparison and my point is that the signs were there that i was enjoying the types of games that lend their heritage to board based games like chess etc all along.

And so i'd encourage you to give chess a dabble if you've never played it and would like you to share with me your thoughts about computer chess or board based computer games in general.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Warning: most of this post doesn't discuss video games

I used to play a lot of chess. Then I got to the point where if I wanted to improve any more, I would have to begin studying books.

That's when I stopped playing.

I have a belief: when you have to begin reading books to improve at a game? It stops being a game, and begins being work. And I didn't want to turn chess into work. I've maybe played 5 games in the past decade. I find "lighter" strategy games like Power Grid and El Grande far more fun than Chess. I gues I went the other way, I want more "fluff" on my strategy games these days.

Warning: the rest of the post does discuss video games

Having said all that, I do dabble in the chess games when I see them, although I haven't really played them since Chessmater 2000 on C64. I am intrigued by some of the different mini games and modes I have heard new games trying out, but not enough to have played the games as of yet
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never really been into chess at all and pretty much suck at it, although the chess games that ships on windows vista has got me playing a bit as it has this cool rewind feature which you can use to determine where you lost to the computer by making the wrong move, makes for a nice learning curve that teaches you to think ahead. Awsome Fun, now replaces solitare!
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find chess way too unforgiving.
    Making one mistake often results in defeat.
    I am curious to know which chess simulations are good.
    The only one I've ever played is Battlechess on Amiga, and I really just played it to see teh bloodz.

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup Chessmaster is a great game and has some amazing lessons in it too. I coach a chess team at the high school I work at and actually use this to go over some of the lessons by using a projector since it is easier to use than anything else or doing lessons one-on-one.

Now they just have to make Chessmaster for the xbox backwards compatible.

And I do read books on chess and so far it is still enjoyable, but I do see your point, in order to get good you have to spend a lot of time studying.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE: Reading a book to improve performance at a game being like work.

What do you think about reading tips in a magazine or buying hint guides like move lists for fighting games?

RE: Chessmaster backwards compatible

You do know they have Chessmaster on Xbox Live Arcade, right?

RE: Chess

I learned chess at a very young age, so young, in fact, that I tend to just assume everyone knows how to play chess. It never occurs to me that anyone wouldn't know how to play.

Anyway, despite learning young, I suck at chess. I'm not even a competent novice player. I picked up a book recently because I've always wanted to be better. It has already improved my game significantly. I'm still pretty pathetic, but not mate-in-three hopelessly so.